“Ahhhhhmazing!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
Comox BC
“Ahhhhhmazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Truly 5 star resort. Booked for one night stay with a friend. Included free valet parking ( it's the only parking they do so be prepared for that - no self parking) and free buffet breakfast. The resort itself is breathtakingly spectacular. An infinity pool overlooking the Okanagan Lake. The most amazing sunset can be seen from the pools edge.

We had a room with 2 queen beds overlooking the gold course. Floor to ceiling windows with the fanciest sliding glass door I have ever tried to use. I say tried because it's one of those ones that tilt in or can be pulled open but it took a minute to figure out.

The bathroom was linear - enclosed toilet at one end, a long double sink, then a bouble glass doored shower - you would be able to shower while looking at the view out the windows. Just past that was a diamond shaped free standing bath tub, right next to the windows. Above, in the ceiling, were tons of twinkly lights that you could put on at night.

The beds were luxurious, the room was spotless and I am being completely honest when I say the room was soundproof. I did not once hear any hallway or neighbouring noise.

The spa is world class, for sure. You have to experience it once in your life, at least. Saunas, steams, cold rooms, showers, pools, hot tub......its endless and wonderful.

For breakfast, you can go and sit in your bathrobe!!!! So we did. It was great. The buffet was fresh and there were a good amount of options. Hot and cold items, juices, the ususal.

Check in and out was fast and efficient and upon retreiving our car, we tried to give a tip but the man said "I am the general manager, I can't accept your tip, but thank you" so that was really special.

If I was to have anything negative at all, its really just very small things - I mean, imperfections really. I would have liked to see bacon on the buffet. There was a fancy type of pork thing - it was okay, extremely fatty but the meat part was delicious (maybe I am too used to seeing mundane bacon! hah) and the fact that we attended the pools right up until 10pm and then again the next morning at 9am. It was obvious that neither the floors were swept nor the windows cleaned. I am a bit of a stickler when it comes to a hotel being a 'view property' and not keeping the very windows one needs to see the view through spotless. It's not that the windows were filthy - just a little spotty here and there. And the floor wasn't dirty exactly - just a mental note that 'hey - that random tiny piece of paper was there, in that same spot last night.' That said, it is likely that the floors are cleaned daily and we just happened to attend the pools in between those daily cleans? My assumption though was that the hotel did it's cleaning of the spa and pools while closed at night? Those things considered, I would still rate this hotel as high as I did, I would recommend it to anyone and I would go back in a hearbeat!

Room Tip: I really don't think there's a bad choice!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jennifer O
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Jennifer,

Wow! We seem to have really gotten you right! Thank you so much for your amazing review! I am so pleased that you were able to enjoy all of the amenities that we have to offer and how much you enjoyed them all - from our rooms, to our KurSpa to our PeakFine Restaurant!

I would also like to thank you for your constructive feedback, the floors do normally get cleaned every night by our excellent housekeeping team and our pool operator also normally checks the pool area floors, I am sorry to hear that this may have not happened and will most certainly share this with our Housekeeping Manager. We do also have a full time fantastic window cleaner who does a truly phenomenal job, he takes care of all 240,000 sq. ft. of the hotel!

The pork that is provided during our complimentary breakfast is actually pork belly!

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your return visit!

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (711)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

I must admit when I first arrived at this hotel I was extremely concerned the sparkle would turn out to be cubic zirconia. To say the least I was mostly pleasantly surprised. Our room was quiet and the view to the East over the landscape was beautiful. Would suggest some additional hooks to hang wet pool towels and bathing suits. There is an a definite European tone to the hotel which could seemed odd if your expecting a North American resort. The complimentary buffet breakfast is very nice and plenty of variety. What I was really impressed with is the high quality and maintenance of the saunas and steam rooms, no mouldy musty smells here. The indoor (cool) outdoor (warm) and whirl pool (hot) were equally as nice. This is definitely a hotel for adults and you will see several reminders (web site, info at the hotel, etc....) that the saunas and pools are only for individuals 16 or older. So if your are staying with young children you will want to have plans to keep them entertained in other ways then hanging out by the pools.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pudgyboyz
We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found your room to be great and the view overlooking the Predator Ridge Golf Course and Monashee Mountains to be beautiful, it truly is. I thank you for your suggestion of adding additional hooks and am pleased to advise you we are working on this. It is also excellent that you found the complimentary breakfast to be very nice with plenty of variety.

Our housekeeping and maintenance team (as well as our pool operator) all do an outstanding job to ensure the KurSpa area is clean and tidy.

You are right, Sparkling Hill is adult orientated and guests do need to be over 16 years of age to enter our KurSpa, this is to encourage whole body wellness and ensure all of our guests can relax and rejuvenate in a completely quiet environment. We welcome children in our guest rooms as well as restaurant so people can still enjoy their family time!

Thank you so much again and we look forward to your return.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Perhaps one cannot really appreciate the Sparkling Hill resort until you leave… where else in BC will you find an infinity pool with a breathtaking view, an amazing spa with multiple saunas/steam rooms, nearby trails, a room with free wifi and a soaker tub, free valet parking, and Predator Ridge just minutes away?

Yes, there are always things to nitpick about… no, Sparkling Hill does not offer the most amazing food, or massage services… but it is all more than adequate.

If you're looking for a wonderful, relaxing stay with gorgeous views, than this is the place to be.

I would say this is not the place to bring kids… they are excluded from the spa and pool areas, which is nice actually because that means it's quiet!

For budget minded guests, you can use Wayspa gift certificates and Sparkling Hill vouchers, both of which can be purchased at Costco.

Room Tip: I had a mountain view room, and was very happy with it. You can take in the lake view all you want...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank betty151
Dear Betty,

Thank you for providing us with a review of your recent experience at Sparkling Hill. I am very pleased that you appreciated the beauty of our outdoor infinity pool which does offer stunning views of Lake Okanagan. Our KurSpa is most certainly the heart of the hotel and features a variety of relaxing and rejuvenating amenities such as the steams and saunas. Hopefully you were able to get a game of golf in at the beautiful adjacent Predator Ridge course.

I am saddened to hear that you felt that your massage was only adequate but was delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy the relaxation and quietness of our adult oriented spa environment.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We look forward to your next visit with us!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed at the resort for 2 days. The most memorable thing immediately is the view of the room, just fantastic. I never thought Canadian vineyard are at such high quality after also visiting vinyards in France, Italy, Spain and Australia.

The sauna is also very special as the resort offers a range of them, I also attempted the cold sauna at -110 degrees Celsius. Very neat feeling but once is good enough for me and hope I don't need this kind of treatment with my joints when I aged.

Food wise I would suggest to eat elsewhere, the resort don't have much offering and we asked around and decided to dine elsewhere which we were quite satisfied, especially at Mission Hills Winery.

Also note this resort was opened by the Swarovski family!!! Can find crystal through-out!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
1 Thank kenysl
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Thank you for your review! We are always very pleased to receive feedback from our guests. It is exciting to hear that the fantastic view of the room has created a lasting memory of your stay here with us.

I am so pleased that you were able to experience our unique -110 degree Celsius Cold Sauna! We are proud to be able to offer over 100 different unique treatments for our guests to enjoy.

It is disappointing to hear that you were not able to enjoy a dining experience at one of our two restaurants. However, I am sure that the surrounding local vineyards must have only
added to your Okanagan experience.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stayed for a night, felt like a lifetime!! Beautiful resort, wonderful spa and great pools and therapy room. Excellent dinner, magnificent views of the lake and sunset-beautiful. Great breakfast in the morning included with your stay, was plentiful, fresh and provided something for everyone (European/North American style). Definitely will return. Walking trails around the resort also, nice loop that will wake you up with the fresh outdoor air and the views.

Room Tip: Room with a lake view is wonderful
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Cleanliness
1 Thank PartagasCat
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. It sounds like you were able to take full advantage of the relaxing environment we offer during your stay with us. We are very proud of our KurSpa facilities and strive to make every guests stay with us a memorable one!

It is a pleasure to hear that you had an excellent dinner in our PeakFine Restaurant and enjoyed our creative menu.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed in the Edelweiss Penthouse for one night at the end of July to celebrate our anniversary. The penthouse (which has two bathrooms) is beautiful and the view of Okanagon Lake is spectatular.

WELLNESS: The hotel features just about every kind of wellness treatment you can think of - even a -110c cold chamber. There is also an indoor and outdoor pool, as well as a ton of different saunas and steam rooms to try. Our room even includes its own private sauna (as we stayed in the penthouse, I'm not sure if this is standard for all rooms. If this is important to you, its best you check prior to booking).

LOCATION/AMENITIES: Sparkling Hill Resort is located just 10 minutes or so south of Vernon. With a little attention to a map, it is not difficult to find. When at the hotel, you are generally isolated from city amenities so make sure you have everything you need prior to arrival. With that said, I forgot to bring a bathing suit (which you absolutely MUST pack when traveling to this resort). I purchased one at the gift shop and was expecting to get gouged on the price for my mistake - I was pleasantly amazed when I discovered bathing suits (of which they have a selection) range in price around $60 (CDN) - less than what you'd pay at most stores! For me, this says that the hotel isn't looking to make a fortune off you if you forget a bathing suit - they truly want you to be able to afford buying a new one because the resort just can't be enjoyed to its fullest without one.

FOOD: The hotel has a bistro (which turns into a wine bar later in the evening) and a main restaurant. Food at both of these locations was very good. The wine list was not massive but it was decent - we definitely had no problem finding a bottle to enjoy (note: selection is not just limited to BC wines, as you may expect).

Room Tip: You have two different view options, depending on the room you book. You can either have a view of t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Niki M
Dear Niki,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Sparkling Hill Resort. I am so pleased that you were able to celebrate your anniversary with us. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay in the Edelweiss Penthouse and found the views of Okanagan Lake to be spectacular, it is my personal favorite penthouse! As you pointed out, one of the exceptional features of that room is the private sauna (which is exclusive to the 3 penthouses) !

I am happy to hear that you found a suitable bathing suit in our Gift Shop which allowed you to take full advantage of our all our spa facilities. Our Kurspa is the heart of the hotel and features endless moments of relaxation possibilities with over 100 different treatments including unique saunas and stream rooms.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit!

Summerland, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were looking for a resort with spa facilities and were told by friends about Sparkling Hills in Vernon, B.C.From the moment we arrived to the time we left we felt completely relaxed.
Our room had a great view of the golf course ( Predator Ridge) below and the adjacent hill sides. Next time we'll request a room on the lakeside.
The spa facilities were excellent, the exercise facilities just what we like and the indoor and outdoor pools were perfect.
The resort features Swarovski crystals throughout and a shop in the resort has a nice selection of earrings, rings and other crystal products.

A full buffet breakfast was included with the room. The buffet had a great selection of breakfast food
to satisfy our needs.
We ate dinner in the main restaurant our first night and in the Bistro the second night. Both meals were enjoyable. We particularly enjoyed the good selection of desserts in the Bistro.

We are planning to return again in December 2014 and in June 2015.

Room Tip: The hotel allows pets and has a set aside rooms on a lower floor with access to outside with patio...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It is very rewarding to hear that the moment you arrived to the moment you left you were feeling completely relaxed, this is what we want all of our guests to experience. Our Mountain View rooms overlooking the Predator Ridge Golf Course and Monashee Mountains are beautiful and relaxing, I am so glad you enjoyed it! It is fantastic that you found the spa facilities to be excellent as they are the heart of the hotel. It is wonderful that you enjoyed both our main PeakFine Restaurant and our Barrique & Java during your visit, I agree there are some delicious selection of desserts!

Thank you again and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in December 2014 and June 2015!

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Fairfield Inn & Suites Vernon
Prestige Hotel Vernon
#6 of 20 in Vernon
Vernon Lodge and Conference Centre
The Castle at Swan Lake

Been to Sparkling Hill Resort? Share your experiences!