“Interesting place, but mediocre service...”

Sparkling Hill Resort
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Interesting place, but mediocre service...”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The Sparkling Hill resort is a very very unique property worth seeing. Its all glass and crystal make up gives you a shine and panoramic views like no other resort I've been too. There are shades of brilliance in the service too, but not consistent.

Not for a family, but in fairness, they disclose this in all communication. "an adults oriented resort". We decided to spend an overnight there on our way to Jasper from Whistler and we have no regrets.

Definitely worth seeing. Restaurant manager was helpful and our waitress was very efficient and nice. Food is ok. Breakfast buffet is "wellness" geared, but there is something to eat for everyone.

Don't be afraid of Sparkling Hill as it is a striking physical presence on a great piece of real estate, but it isn't competing with the hospitality that ranks a hotel at 4 or 5 stars.

Solid 3.

Room Tip: I don't think there are many bad views, but we had the "lakeview" and it was stunning.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Davek36
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Dave,

Thank you very much for your review. Sparkling Hill is indeed a very unique place that I am glad to hear you enjoyed to visit. I hope that you were able to experience all of the complimentary amenities that are included in your stay such as the pools and steams and saunas while you traveled from Jasper to Whistler. It is wonderful that you found our Restaurant Manager to be helpful and your waitress to be very efficient and nice.

It is surprising to hear that you did not find the service to be consistent as we have been receiving positive feedback, regardless I will gladly share this with our management team to ensure everyone is reminded of our service standard.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (732)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kelowna
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Just came back from a weekend at the Sparking Hill Resort. Unfortunately, our final day experience left our group of six questioning the resort's commitment to customer service. The buffet breakfast was appetizing but the service was not. After the three men in our group left to go golfing, not once were the women asked if they wanted refills on their coffee or tea. Although the waitress came to other tables in our area, she never came back to ours except to drop off our bill.

Next was the experience at KurSpa. Massages were scheduled for 9:30 am and 10:30 am and a facial for 10:45 am. Mine was the 10:30 am appointment and with less than an hour notice I'm told they have to cancel it because of an employee's illness. Lucky my friend was in her room because they left a message for me there instead of calling my own room. They offered to fit me in for a 1/2 hr vs a 1 hr massage at 1:30 pm but I passed up the offer (it wasn't free) because our group was heading back home to Kelowna/Vancouver at that time. I expressed my disappointment that I passed up on a beautiful day of golfing to have the massage (booked weeks in advance) but the best they could do was offer me a free day pass to the saunas/steam rooms/pools. In order for me to enjoy these free few hours in the spa, I would have to spend at least 2 hours of drive time and $30 in gas. The front desk manager didn't see this as a problem since he drives from Kelowna everyday to go to work.

Our rooms were very clean and had beautiful views but I would have expected that paying $660 per room for two nights. Apart from the breakfast meal, we had very good service at lunch and dinners. The meals were very tasty and we had great views from the dining room.

I would visit the area again to go golfing but would probably stay at Predator Ridge instead.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Cindy Y
Dear Cindy,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am pleased to hear that you found our PeakFine Restaurant to provide tasty meals and good service during your weekend stay. It is also wonderful that you enjoyed the beautiful views which we are very fortunate to have around us.

It is disappointing to hear that your coffee and teas were not refilled once the gentlemen at your table left to play golf, a refill should have at least been offered to you and I apologize that it was not. Our team members normally strive to anticipate all of our guests needs as we try to make every guests stay a pleasant experience.

I can understand your disappointment when you were informed that your massage appointment could not be accommodated due an employee’s unanticipated illness. Our KurSpa reception did everything that they could to try and shift appointments around and accommodate them but unfortunately were not able to. Our Assistant Spa Manager, tried to make up for the employee’s illness, by offering you a complimentary day pass since you lived in Kelowna which is not too far from Sparkling Hill for most guests. I apologize that this was not a sufficient option for you.

Predator Ridge is a wonderful golf resort! We are very fortunate to have such fantastic neighbors.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to eventually welcome you back.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

This has been one of the best hotel experiences I've ever had and my girlfriend was sick for a day and a half. Once Sandy at the front desk found out she was on a mission and managed to get us medication and other items to help (we didn't have a car). Once she was feeling better every time we saw her together or not she asked about her well being. Can't thank her enough since she saved the trip! Everything else was spectacular as well, the golf, scenery, spa, food and the overall hospitality. We will be back for sure!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve B
Dear Steve,

Thank you very much for your recent review. I am absolutely delighted to hear that Sparkling Hill was one of the best hotel experiences that you have ever had! I am sorry that your girlfriend was sick for a day and a half but am glad that she ended up feeling better. Sandy is one of our excellent employees and I am so happy (yet not surprised as she is very caring) that she took such great care of you both! I will gladly pass these kind compliments onto her and her team!

Thank you so much and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Comox BC
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Truly 5 star resort. Booked for one night stay with a friend. Included free valet parking ( it's the only parking they do so be prepared for that - no self parking) and free buffet breakfast. The resort itself is breathtakingly spectacular. An infinity pool overlooking the Okanagan Lake. The most amazing sunset can be seen from the pools edge.

We had a room with 2 queen beds overlooking the gold course. Floor to ceiling windows with the fanciest sliding glass door I have ever tried to use. I say tried because it's one of those ones that tilt in or can be pulled open but it took a minute to figure out.

The bathroom was linear - enclosed toilet at one end, a long double sink, then a bouble glass doored shower - you would be able to shower while looking at the view out the windows. Just past that was a diamond shaped free standing bath tub, right next to the windows. Above, in the ceiling, were tons of twinkly lights that you could put on at night.

The beds were luxurious, the room was spotless and I am being completely honest when I say the room was soundproof. I did not once hear any hallway or neighbouring noise.

The spa is world class, for sure. You have to experience it once in your life, at least. Saunas, steams, cold rooms, showers, pools, hot tub......its endless and wonderful.

For breakfast, you can go and sit in your bathrobe!!!! So we did. It was great. The buffet was fresh and there were a good amount of options. Hot and cold items, juices, the ususal.

Check in and out was fast and efficient and upon retreiving our car, we tried to give a tip but the man said "I am the general manager, I can't accept your tip, but thank you" so that was really special.

If I was to have anything negative at all, its really just very small things - I mean, imperfections really. I would have liked to see bacon on the buffet. There was a fancy type of pork thing - it was okay, extremely fatty but the meat part was delicious (maybe I am too used to seeing mundane bacon! hah) and the fact that we attended the pools right up until 10pm and then again the next morning at 9am. It was obvious that neither the floors were swept nor the windows cleaned. I am a bit of a stickler when it comes to a hotel being a 'view property' and not keeping the very windows one needs to see the view through spotless. It's not that the windows were filthy - just a little spotty here and there. And the floor wasn't dirty exactly - just a mental note that 'hey - that random tiny piece of paper was there, in that same spot last night.' That said, it is likely that the floors are cleaned daily and we just happened to attend the pools in between those daily cleans? My assumption though was that the hotel did it's cleaning of the spa and pools while closed at night? Those things considered, I would still rate this hotel as high as I did, I would recommend it to anyone and I would go back in a hearbeat!

Room Tip: I really don't think there's a bad choice!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jennifer O
Dear Jennifer,

Wow! We seem to have really gotten you right! Thank you so much for your amazing review! I am so pleased that you were able to enjoy all of the amenities that we have to offer and how much you enjoyed them all - from our rooms, to our KurSpa to our PeakFine Restaurant!

I would also like to thank you for your constructive feedback, the floors do normally get cleaned every night by our excellent housekeeping team and our pool operator also normally checks the pool area floors, I am sorry to hear that this may have not happened and will most certainly share this with our Housekeeping Manager. We do also have a full time fantastic window cleaner who does a truly phenomenal job, he takes care of all 240,000 sq. ft. of the hotel!

The pork that is provided during our complimentary breakfast is actually pork belly!

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your return visit!

Calgary
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I must admit when I first arrived at this hotel I was extremely concerned the sparkle would turn out to be cubic zirconia. To say the least I was mostly pleasantly surprised. Our room was quiet and the view to the East over the landscape was beautiful. Would suggest some additional hooks to hang wet pool towels and bathing suits. There is an a definite European tone to the hotel which could seemed odd if your expecting a North American resort. The complimentary buffet breakfast is very nice and plenty of variety. What I was really impressed with is the high quality and maintenance of the saunas and steam rooms, no mouldy musty smells here. The indoor (cool) outdoor (warm) and whirl pool (hot) were equally as nice. This is definitely a hotel for adults and you will see several reminders (web site, info at the hotel, etc....) that the saunas and pools are only for individuals 16 or older. So if your are staying with young children you will want to have plans to keep them entertained in other ways then hanging out by the pools.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pudgyboyz
We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found your room to be great and the view overlooking the Predator Ridge Golf Course and Monashee Mountains to be beautiful, it truly is. I thank you for your suggestion of adding additional hooks and am pleased to advise you we are working on this. It is also excellent that you found the complimentary breakfast to be very nice with plenty of variety.

Our housekeeping and maintenance team (as well as our pool operator) all do an outstanding job to ensure the KurSpa area is clean and tidy.

You are right, Sparkling Hill is adult orientated and guests do need to be over 16 years of age to enter our KurSpa, this is to encourage whole body wellness and ensure all of our guests can relax and rejuvenate in a completely quiet environment. We welcome children in our guest rooms as well as restaurant so people can still enjoy their family time!

Thank you so much again and we look forward to your return.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Perhaps one cannot really appreciate the Sparkling Hill resort until you leave… where else in BC will you find an infinity pool with a breathtaking view, an amazing spa with multiple saunas/steam rooms, nearby trails, a room with free wifi and a soaker tub, free valet parking, and Predator Ridge just minutes away?

Yes, there are always things to nitpick about… no, Sparkling Hill does not offer the most amazing food, or massage services… but it is all more than adequate.

If you're looking for a wonderful, relaxing stay with gorgeous views, than this is the place to be.

I would say this is not the place to bring kids… they are excluded from the spa and pool areas, which is nice actually because that means it's quiet!

For budget minded guests, you can use Wayspa gift certificates and Sparkling Hill vouchers, both of which can be purchased at Costco.

Room Tip: I had a mountain view room, and was very happy with it. You can take in the lake view all you want...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank betty151
Dear Betty,

Thank you for providing us with a review of your recent experience at Sparkling Hill. I am very pleased that you appreciated the beauty of our outdoor infinity pool which does offer stunning views of Lake Okanagan. Our KurSpa is most certainly the heart of the hotel and features a variety of relaxing and rejuvenating amenities such as the steams and saunas. Hopefully you were able to get a game of golf in at the beautiful adjacent Predator Ridge course.

I am saddened to hear that you felt that your massage was only adequate but was delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy the relaxation and quietness of our adult oriented spa environment.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed at the resort for 2 days. The most memorable thing immediately is the view of the room, just fantastic. I never thought Canadian vineyard are at such high quality after also visiting vinyards in France, Italy, Spain and Australia.

The sauna is also very special as the resort offers a range of them, I also attempted the cold sauna at -110 degrees Celsius. Very neat feeling but once is good enough for me and hope I don't need this kind of treatment with my joints when I aged.

Food wise I would suggest to eat elsewhere, the resort don't have much offering and we asked around and decided to dine elsewhere which we were quite satisfied, especially at Mission Hills Winery.

Also note this resort was opened by the Swarovski family!!! Can find crystal through-out!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kenysl
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Thank you for your review! We are always very pleased to receive feedback from our guests. It is exciting to hear that the fantastic view of the room has created a lasting memory of your stay here with us.

I am so pleased that you were able to experience our unique -110 degree Celsius Cold Sauna! We are proud to be able to offer over 100 different unique treatments for our guests to enjoy.

It is disappointing to hear that you were not able to enjoy a dining experience at one of our two restaurants. However, I am sure that the surrounding local vineyards must have only
added to your Okanagan experience.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Fairfield Inn & Suites Vernon
Prestige Hotel Vernon
#6 of 20 in Vernon
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Vernon
The Castle at Swan Lake

Been to Sparkling Hill Resort? Share your experiences!