“Beautiful but with some little hiccups” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sparkling Hill Resort

Sparkling Hill Resort
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
“Beautiful but with some little hiccups”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

The location is magnificent and secluded, utterly breathtaking to be honest.

The hotel rooms are spacious and clean with a great sliding mini door as a balcony. We unfortunately found a couple of hairs and sticky residue in the bathroom upon entering our room but advised the team and got some new towels and a wipe down from the cleaner.
The beds, were slightly uncomfortable but that is totally dependent upon personal taste - they were like a memory foam.

The buffet breakfast is great, catering to all needs and desires.

Some of the other dishes to be had within the resort are rather interesting with not much emphasis on light healthy meals which is interesting given it's strong focus on the day spa and it's rejuvenating facilities to restore your body.

The resort was lovely and would recommend for sure, however I would like to flag a warning with regards to placing your card down for the nightly holding fee. We did this, and were charged an amount that surpassed what the nightly rate was significantly. This had to be chased up a couple of times to ensure that these funds were released as nothing had been done 6 days after checking out.
Gratefully though the resort responded to my email extremely promptly allowing for the bank to do their thing immediately.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank B R
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Thank you very much for your review. I am so pleased to hear that you found our location to be magnificent and secluded and I agree that it is truly utterly breathtaking! We are very fortunate to be situated here.

It is wonderful that you found the rooms to be spacious and clean but would like to apologize for the hairs and sticky residue that you found, I am glad it was immediately removed. Our mattresses are made specifically for Sparkling Hill, you are absolutely right that it is a personal taste as some guests love them and few find them too soft but we try to provide a compromise for them if we know!

I am glad that you enjoyed the buffet breakfast and appreciated all of the options. I will gladly pass on your feedback regarding the dishes to our Executive Chef.

We do require a credit card for incidentals when guests check in and depending on the bank, the pre-authorization times on the credit cards do vary. We try our best to make guests aware of this by actually providing a notice on our registration papers that every guest signs upon check in that outlines this detail. It is normally a pre-authorization that covers the room and tax and any incidentals that may come up during the visit. I am glad that we responded extremely promptly which allowed the bank to withdraw the hold!

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your return!

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (710)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

High on a hill, overlooking a valley, there is an enchanted castle, where all who enter find personal fulfillment. For me, personally, it is a departure from the everyday, and a transcendence into a world of peace, pleasure and possibilities. On yet another visit, recently, I am pleased to report that everything was as it should be. The luxury of the accommodations, delightful cuisine, exceptional spa amenities and solicitous staff ensured another wonderful and truly satisfying visit to Sparkling Hill. Of particular enjoyment is the infinity pool, where I lingered and gazed for long moments at the valley below, lost in thought about nothing at all. How lucky can one be to luxuriate in this idyllic setting, located in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Ann S
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Ann,

Thank you so much for your review again! We truly appreciate your dedication and continuous support of Sparkling Hill! I am so glad to hear that everything was as it should be when you recently visited us! It is most certainly very easy to get lost in your thoughts when taking in all of the breathtaking scenery and focusing on oneself.

Thank you very much again for your visit and we very much look forward to your return!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

The Sparkling Hill resort is a very very unique property worth seeing. Its all glass and crystal make up gives you a shine and panoramic views like no other resort I've been too. There are shades of brilliance in the service too, but not consistent.

Not for a family, but in fairness, they disclose this in all communication. "an adults oriented resort". We decided to spend an overnight there on our way to Jasper from Whistler and we have no regrets.

Definitely worth seeing. Restaurant manager was helpful and our waitress was very efficient and nice. Food is ok. Breakfast buffet is "wellness" geared, but there is something to eat for everyone.

Don't be afraid of Sparkling Hill as it is a striking physical presence on a great piece of real estate, but it isn't competing with the hospitality that ranks a hotel at 4 or 5 stars.

Solid 3.

Room Tip: I don't think there are many bad views, but we had the "lakeview" and it was stunning.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Davek36
Dear Dave,

Thank you very much for your review. Sparkling Hill is indeed a very unique place that I am glad to hear you enjoyed to visit. I hope that you were able to experience all of the complimentary amenities that are included in your stay such as the pools and steams and saunas while you traveled from Jasper to Whistler. It is wonderful that you found our Restaurant Manager to be helpful and your waitress to be very efficient and nice.

It is surprising to hear that you did not find the service to be consistent as we have been receiving positive feedback, regardless I will gladly share this with our management team to ensure everyone is reminded of our service standard.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kelowna
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Just came back from a weekend at the Sparking Hill Resort. Unfortunately, our final day experience left our group of six questioning the resort's commitment to customer service. The buffet breakfast was appetizing but the service was not. After the three men in our group left to go golfing, not once were the women asked if they wanted refills on their coffee or tea. Although the waitress came to other tables in our area, she never came back to ours except to drop off our bill.

Next was the experience at KurSpa. Massages were scheduled for 9:30 am and 10:30 am and a facial for 10:45 am. Mine was the 10:30 am appointment and with less than an hour notice I'm told they have to cancel it because of an employee's illness. Lucky my friend was in her room because they left a message for me there instead of calling my own room. They offered to fit me in for a 1/2 hr vs a 1 hr massage at 1:30 pm but I passed up the offer (it wasn't free) because our group was heading back home to Kelowna/Vancouver at that time. I expressed my disappointment that I passed up on a beautiful day of golfing to have the massage (booked weeks in advance) but the best they could do was offer me a free day pass to the saunas/steam rooms/pools. In order for me to enjoy these free few hours in the spa, I would have to spend at least 2 hours of drive time and $30 in gas. The front desk manager didn't see this as a problem since he drives from Kelowna everyday to go to work.

Our rooms were very clean and had beautiful views but I would have expected that paying $660 per room for two nights. Apart from the breakfast meal, we had very good service at lunch and dinners. The meals were very tasty and we had great views from the dining room.

I would visit the area again to go golfing but would probably stay at Predator Ridge instead.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Cindy Y
Dear Cindy,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am pleased to hear that you found our PeakFine Restaurant to provide tasty meals and good service during your weekend stay. It is also wonderful that you enjoyed the beautiful views which we are very fortunate to have around us.

It is disappointing to hear that your coffee and teas were not refilled once the gentlemen at your table left to play golf, a refill should have at least been offered to you and I apologize that it was not. Our team members normally strive to anticipate all of our guests needs as we try to make every guests stay a pleasant experience.

I can understand your disappointment when you were informed that your massage appointment could not be accommodated due an employee’s unanticipated illness. Our KurSpa reception did everything that they could to try and shift appointments around and accommodate them but unfortunately were not able to. Our Assistant Spa Manager, tried to make up for the employee’s illness, by offering you a complimentary day pass since you lived in Kelowna which is not too far from Sparkling Hill for most guests. I apologize that this was not a sufficient option for you.

Predator Ridge is a wonderful golf resort! We are very fortunate to have such fantastic neighbors.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to eventually welcome you back.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

This has been one of the best hotel experiences I've ever had and my girlfriend was sick for a day and a half. Once Sandy at the front desk found out she was on a mission and managed to get us medication and other items to help (we didn't have a car). Once she was feeling better every time we saw her together or not she asked about her well being. Can't thank her enough since she saved the trip! Everything else was spectacular as well, the golf, scenery, spa, food and the overall hospitality. We will be back for sure!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve B
Dear Steve,

Thank you very much for your recent review. I am absolutely delighted to hear that Sparkling Hill was one of the best hotel experiences that you have ever had! I am sorry that your girlfriend was sick for a day and a half but am glad that she ended up feeling better. Sandy is one of our excellent employees and I am so happy (yet not surprised as she is very caring) that she took such great care of you both! I will gladly pass these kind compliments onto her and her team!

Thank you so much and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Comox BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Truly 5 star resort. Booked for one night stay with a friend. Included free valet parking ( it's the only parking they do so be prepared for that - no self parking) and free buffet breakfast. The resort itself is breathtakingly spectacular. An infinity pool overlooking the Okanagan Lake. The most amazing sunset can be seen from the pools edge.

We had a room with 2 queen beds overlooking the gold course. Floor to ceiling windows with the fanciest sliding glass door I have ever tried to use. I say tried because it's one of those ones that tilt in or can be pulled open but it took a minute to figure out.

The bathroom was linear - enclosed toilet at one end, a long double sink, then a bouble glass doored shower - you would be able to shower while looking at the view out the windows. Just past that was a diamond shaped free standing bath tub, right next to the windows. Above, in the ceiling, were tons of twinkly lights that you could put on at night.

The beds were luxurious, the room was spotless and I am being completely honest when I say the room was soundproof. I did not once hear any hallway or neighbouring noise.

The spa is world class, for sure. You have to experience it once in your life, at least. Saunas, steams, cold rooms, showers, pools, hot tub......its endless and wonderful.

For breakfast, you can go and sit in your bathrobe!!!! So we did. It was great. The buffet was fresh and there were a good amount of options. Hot and cold items, juices, the ususal.

Check in and out was fast and efficient and upon retreiving our car, we tried to give a tip but the man said "I am the general manager, I can't accept your tip, but thank you" so that was really special.

If I was to have anything negative at all, its really just very small things - I mean, imperfections really. I would have liked to see bacon on the buffet. There was a fancy type of pork thing - it was okay, extremely fatty but the meat part was delicious (maybe I am too used to seeing mundane bacon! hah) and the fact that we attended the pools right up until 10pm and then again the next morning at 9am. It was obvious that neither the floors were swept nor the windows cleaned. I am a bit of a stickler when it comes to a hotel being a 'view property' and not keeping the very windows one needs to see the view through spotless. It's not that the windows were filthy - just a little spotty here and there. And the floor wasn't dirty exactly - just a mental note that 'hey - that random tiny piece of paper was there, in that same spot last night.' That said, it is likely that the floors are cleaned daily and we just happened to attend the pools in between those daily cleans? My assumption though was that the hotel did it's cleaning of the spa and pools while closed at night? Those things considered, I would still rate this hotel as high as I did, I would recommend it to anyone and I would go back in a hearbeat!

Room Tip: I really don't think there's a bad choice!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Rooms
1 Thank Jennifer O
Dear Jennifer,

Wow! We seem to have really gotten you right! Thank you so much for your amazing review! I am so pleased that you were able to enjoy all of the amenities that we have to offer and how much you enjoyed them all - from our rooms, to our KurSpa to our PeakFine Restaurant!

I would also like to thank you for your constructive feedback, the floors do normally get cleaned every night by our excellent housekeeping team and our pool operator also normally checks the pool area floors, I am sorry to hear that this may have not happened and will most certainly share this with our Housekeeping Manager. We do also have a full time fantastic window cleaner who does a truly phenomenal job, he takes care of all 240,000 sq. ft. of the hotel!

The pork that is provided during our complimentary breakfast is actually pork belly!

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your return visit!

Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

I must admit when I first arrived at this hotel I was extremely concerned the sparkle would turn out to be cubic zirconia. To say the least I was mostly pleasantly surprised. Our room was quiet and the view to the East over the landscape was beautiful. Would suggest some additional hooks to hang wet pool towels and bathing suits. There is an a definite European tone to the hotel which could seemed odd if your expecting a North American resort. The complimentary buffet breakfast is very nice and plenty of variety. What I was really impressed with is the high quality and maintenance of the saunas and steam rooms, no mouldy musty smells here. The indoor (cool) outdoor (warm) and whirl pool (hot) were equally as nice. This is definitely a hotel for adults and you will see several reminders (web site, info at the hotel, etc....) that the saunas and pools are only for individuals 16 or older. So if your are staying with young children you will want to have plans to keep them entertained in other ways then hanging out by the pools.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
1 Thank Pudgyboyz
We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found your room to be great and the view overlooking the Predator Ridge Golf Course and Monashee Mountains to be beautiful, it truly is. I thank you for your suggestion of adding additional hooks and am pleased to advise you we are working on this. It is also excellent that you found the complimentary breakfast to be very nice with plenty of variety.

Our housekeeping and maintenance team (as well as our pool operator) all do an outstanding job to ensure the KurSpa area is clean and tidy.

You are right, Sparkling Hill is adult orientated and guests do need to be over 16 years of age to enter our KurSpa, this is to encourage whole body wellness and ensure all of our guests can relax and rejuvenate in a completely quiet environment. We welcome children in our guest rooms as well as restaurant so people can still enjoy their family time!

Thank you so much again and we look forward to your return.

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Fairfield Inn & Suites Vernon
Prestige Hotel Vernon
#6 of 20 in Vernon
Vernon Lodge and Conference Centre
The Castle at Swan Lake

Been to Sparkling Hill Resort? Share your experiences!