“Great facility, customer service needs work”

Sparkling Hill Resort
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Great facility, customer service needs work”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

this is a gorgeous property with magnificent views on the lake as well as the mountains. the rooms are a good size with wonderful windows that tilt and swing clear away, leaving you with unimpeded views. One of the few places | have stayed that does not provide a coffee maker or kettle in the rooms. the infinity pool is great and very warm. We witnessed a guest receive her stay free as she was the 400th? check-out and also received a complimentary upgrade for witnessing the event. Valet service is included in the stay and the valets were super quick and friendly.

Now for the drawbacks: we brought a friend from the UK on a tour of the Okanagan and she was very excited by the spa offerings but when she went to book some, there were literally no openings for anything. if the spa is that busy it would be great if check in staff let you know that you should book right away to avoid disappointment during the stay. Check in staff were not all friendly and helpful. i asked for an overview of what we should take advantage of at the resort and was told "i'll get to that later". oh my! the restaurant is great for hot buffet breakfast but not for dinner. the food was just okay, expensive and the service was not good. it seems as if all the good servers are on day shift! the first thing our server told us as she came to the table was, "we're out of Caesar salad". a little restaurant foreplay would have been appreciated before getting slammed with what is not available. again, a little bit of coaching and upgrading of customer service in most areas would go a long way.

we never did find out if it was one of the hotel's owners who flew in and out by helicopter every day but we sure noticed it taking off and returning repeatedly right under out windows. is it really necessary to fly in and out several times a day, starting at 8 a.m.??

Room Tip: our room was great, with view of lake, except for helicopter action.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank AsiaW50
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review. I am so pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy our beautiful views of Lake Okanagan and the mountains that surround us! We do have a special promotion that is valid until September 15th where every 100th guest checking out... we pay for their entire stay! It is exciting that you witnessed this!

I am sorry to hear of the drawbacks of your stay, we do normally advise guests that they should book 2-3 weeks in advance their spa treatments, if booked online we try to make this more visible by having it included in our confirmation emails. I apologize that you and your friends were not aware of this and then felt disappointed. It is concerning to hear that our check in staff and servers were not friend nor helpful as this is not our standard and certainly not what we strive for.

It was not our owner that flew in and out by helicopter as he is actually situated in Austria, this was a guest of ours. We do allow the helicopters to take off at 8am but not prior to this time, I apologize if this woke you up.

Thank you again for your feedback and allowing us to improve. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (732)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed 27 August 2014

The setting is beautiful, the hotel nice, and clean. But too many problems. They over charged us, and when we complained a simple click of the computer changed it. I have seen other complaints of computer foul ups.
The room was very nice, large, and clean. However the crystal fireplace didn`t work. We called for a fix, he came quickly, but said it was just a static display and didn`t do anything. We queried that it was supposed to glow, and showed him the drawer under the fireplace with attached wiring. He said that was a transformer for the overhead lights, and we let him go. My husband looked more closely at the transformer and discovered an unattached plug. Plugged it in and voila, the fireplace lit up. The fridge doesn`t keep things cold, and I have seen other complaints regarding this. That is why I saw people bring in a cooler. Get new fridges that work and you won`t have this complaint again. The AC didn`t work well, and again I have seen that complaint. Fix it! The room still doesn`t have hooks, or extra towel bars for wet bathing suits, again, a complaint that has been noted going back months. It isn`t hard to order some and install, then that complaint wouldn`t happen again.
The pool is a wonderful infinity pool. But, no room to sit down. A pity as there was only three guests in the pool and 20 towels guarding lounges so we sat in upright chairs in the corner. The pool was the temperature of bath water, not refreshing in 30 plus weather. The first time we used the pool there were lots of water and cups. The second time, all was left was a mess. The steam and sauna rooms are closed for most of the afternoon, a real let down. Management says this change was made to accommodate the 8 hour running time and to allow guests to use them before checking out. Well this isn`t fixing this problem, they need to look at the times again. One of the steam rooms had a out of service paper on it both days we were there, but it was working, and no one took off the sign. I noticed other guests weeks ago mentioned that some of the buttons on the experience showers didn`t work. They still aren`t working!
We ate at the café downstairs for lunch, and the water jugs sitting there for hours, being used for multiple guests were still in use, after a complaint made from a previous guest. I enjoyed my first glass of iced water brought to me by the server but wouldn`t drink anymore once she poured the warm water from the jug. We didn`t eat at the main restaurant as the menu was so limited. I might have liked one of the specials, but there was no knowing what they would be.
The breakfast was great, lots to choose from, but no labels. The cheeses were nice, but I don`t know what they were. I have seen that as a previous complaint, and find it hard to believe management can`t put out labels. A overtired excuse is to ask, but you shouldn`t have to. My husband and I both mornings had to ask for more coffee, as it the servers were slow, but quick to leave a bill. Slow service has been complained about many times.
I would stay there again if they either fixed the ongoing problems, or lowered the price to reflect the lack of 5 star service.

Room Tip: We had a mountain view, and it was lovely. You get the lake view at breakfast, and at the pool.
5 Thank Melanie A
Dear Melanie,

Thank you very much for your review. I am truly sorry to hear of all of the areas that left you feeling disappointed. I appreciate all of the recommendations that you made and we are working on these, unfortunately, it is not always as easy as it may look to fix. Simple example is adding additional hooks in the bathrooms, we are working on this but we cannot simply just add hangers to the walls as when people hang bathing suits that may drip water, that water would then land on the wall which would eventually cause damage to the drywall, we are looking at adding a portion of tile onto the walls so we can attach the hooks and if something drips it will not turn into a larger issue in the future, of course this takes time as most rooms are occupied every day. I can assure you we are working on improving all of these items.

Thank you again for your review and we appreciate your patience with these matters.

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Just spent two nights here. The location and building is beautiful but it could be so much more. General maintenance and management are sorely lacking in quality and attention to detail for what is billed as a luxury resort. It began at check in when all reception staff were on the phone and not helping guests. When our room was finally ready, after a delayed check in - the excuse was it needed a final inspection; our room had no towels or robes! The pool and saunas were stunning but they both require an attendant or at least constant attention. There were paper cups and empty beer cans by the pool and empty water coolers and over flowing towel receptacles in the sauna room. The empty beer cans and paper cups were still by the pool when we came back later in the evening, too. As well, the showers, with different shower options, in the sauna area didn't work! For our entire stay there also was a dismantled table in the hall way with a discarded table cloth and crumpled napkin on it. It shocked us that none of the staff would have cleared this away! We were also disappointed as no mention or attention was given to the fact that we were celebrating our 25 th wedding anniversary. I mentioned this fact upon our initial reservation and when I confirmed our booking prior to arrival. This was supposedly added to our file, but I guess it didn't warrant a mention. In all it was a beautiful setting but the details that distinguish a hotel from a resort were missing. We are now spending a night at the Fairmont Pacific Rim in Vancouver where quality of service and attention to detail is valued!

Room Tip: Lake view rooms have the best views
8 Thank Ann M
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Ann,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that you found the location, building, pools and saunas to be stunning and hope you enjoyed your stay. I would also like to thank you for letting us know of the areas that require improvement. I apologize that all of the reception staff were on the phone when you came in, we do have a reservations office but overflow calls do come to the front desk for now as we do not have a central reservations office at this time. There most certainly should have been robes and towels in your room prior to check in as we do have all of our team leads inspect the rooms prior to guests enjoying them, I apologize that we missed this. We also normally have a Spa Attendant available until at least 10pm that regularly walks throughout the spa and cleans up any paper cups as well as assist guests with fresh towels etc. We will follow up to find out what happened here. You are right, we are experiencing some difficulties with some of our Experience Showers and are working on this, unfortunately, the parts come from overseas and are taking longer than expected, I am sorry this effected your stay.

I would also like to truly apologize that there was no mention made of your 25th wedding anniversary, we do normally place congratulatory cards into the guest rooms with 2 chocolates but somehow this was overlooked, I would like to follow up if I could but would require your date of stay and room number, if you would like to send me a private message or email jana.gohl@sparklinghill.com I would appreciate this! We normally also do make note of this if you come in for dinner and provide you with a special plate at the end as well.

Thank you again for your review and for allowing us to learn from your experience. I do hope you return in the future.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

No doubt, the location, the decoration and the rooms are stunning . Diamonds everywhere , the result is spectacular . The staff is for most of them, fantastically friendly and helpful.
I want to thank particularly:
Mike at the arrival, who rescued our reservation !
Christian in the restaurant who was so nice and could not do enough to please us
Freddie the chef who came out and listened to our comments on the food and fixed a very nice dinner the next evening , letting us taste a great ahi tuna dish and the next evening we had a very good lamb dish .
In spite of that there is still a problem with the food the cooking is very complicated and flavors often do not mix: like the beef carpaccio with melting caramelized brie... or the avocado shrimp seaweed terrine where you do not recognize any flavor at all only the ice cold nori rice which is not good ..
Or the tomaoes butter that is offered complimentary each night ..
Or offering and appetizer of mussels and clams and then there are only 4 mussels each because there are out of clams but nobody told us ...
The menu selection is also too small for people who stay three nights as we did , very little choices .
At breakfast we looked for the fresh and ripe Okanagan fruit which is in season now and sold everywhere for very affordable prices . NONE ! not a blueberry , cherry , peach or apricot which make the region so famous , only apples , bananas and oranges like in the winter in Europe .

So the food is not yet at the level of the staff!! Some of them know about the problem and try to make up for it .
Lastly the pool has about 28 chaises longues and 10 chairs versus 150 rooms ... Guess what happens on a sunny day like we had : people are literally fighting for a space , not very chic... like the hotel wants to be , no pool attendant so the wet towels are everywhere with some paper cups ... not very chic either .
We also were not able to use the spa treatment because although we had booked several months in advance from Europe , nobody told us to book in advance and it was fully booked .
So we write because we hope to be back next year and see the changes and because the place is really worth being perfect ..
Thank you to all the staff , I have not named all of them .. Vito , Laurie , Manon, ...the young man who parks the cars ...

2 Thank elisabethle
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Elisabeth,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your recent visit to Sparkling Hill Resort. I am pleased that you found the location, decoration and rooms to be stunning. We are the only public facility in the world that features over 3.5 million Swarovski crystals embedded throughout the entire structure of the building which does create a unique theme to our destination resort! Andreas Altmayer who worked for Swarovski was the brilliant man that designed where every single crystal went in the hotel!

I am pleased to know that Mike, Christian and Freddie went above and beyond what was required by them to create some lasting memories for you to take back home with you. We are very fortunate to have such dedicated and professional staff to take care of the individual needs of our guests. Our Chef creates a new feature menu every evening in addition to our regular set menu items as additional options. Whenever it is possible to serve local fruits and vegetables on our menu we do try to provide it.

I am disappointed that you had difficulty in finding a chair by the pool. Although we do not have a Pool Attendant we do have a Spa Attendant who is able to refresh your pool towels for you along with new bathrobes and slippers as well. We will most certainly remind them to check in at the pool more often.

We value your comments and feedback as they enable us to achieve an even higher level of service to our guests. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back next year!

Osoyoos, Canada
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed in the Penthouse suite in July. The details and décor are breathtaking, The view from our suite was incredible.
All staff that we encountered were enthusiastic and friendly.
Nice touch with the bottled water that valet leaves in your car for departure.
Looking forward to returning for a longer stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mbcampol
Thank you for your review. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your penthouse suite in July! They are very unique and breathtaking; I hope you were able to take advantage of the private steam and sauna that was situated in the bathroom! It is wonderful that all of the staff were enthusiastic and friendly, we are very proud of this and fortunate as well!

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back for a longer stay!

Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I was a little nervous to stay at the resort after reading some not great reviews. I'll get my negative rant over first and fill you in on the good stuff. Many reviewers have said not to go to the Peakfine dining room for dinner. They are correct. Why did I not heed such good advice?? It was honestly the worst meal I have ever had, and it's not a cheap place! I ordered lamb med rare, and it was med well. The roast potatoes were burnt to such an extent that they were black like thick black on them. They turned them over nicely so it couldn't be noticed until you ate one. Seriously embarrassing. The sauce was tasteless. Everything needed seasoning. Gordon Ramsey would have a field day with the place. The manager came over said it was indeed embarrassing but did absolutely nothing. I should not have paid for that meal. They should have paid me. lol.
The hotel itself was not super clean, but ok.
We had a 3rd floor room overlooking the lake. Incredible view. Floor to sealing windows. One panel of windows slides open and voila... you have a balcony, but you are still in your room. Love love that. We sat in super comfy chairs and read in the morning. Def worth the extra money. Beds are very comfy. No coffee in the room, you have to go out to get it. Gym is adequate. Spa treatments themselves are fine. Not amazing, not bad. Adequate. Big thing is to plan your day around the sauna/steam rooms being open. They are closed from 11 to 4. Yup, true story. It didn't bother us though. We planned around it and did the sauna in the morning. It was very busy, but it was fun. It kinda exceeded my expectations. After 9pm its clothing optional...that is a good thing to know and they mention it at check in which I though was good. Checking in, no prob. Checking out, no prob. Go for a hike down to the range for lunch and take the shuttle up. lol. Free shuttle down to predator ridge and their restaurant is "Range". Ok... the free breakfast.. we liked it! It is definitely not like a super 8 hotel breakfast at all, honest. We stayed 2 nights, and it was good for 2 days, but I don't think I would want to do it a 3rd day. It had sausage, hash browns, scram eggs, some other hot stuff. Usual cereals. Cheeses, and different breads. I think fruit and some pastries. I loved the mini choc muffins. Good coffee. All in all a pleasant surprise. Friendly staff. Wifi good. One thing... the housekeepers use the spa elevator makes it very slow. Use the main elevators before 11am. Also...our room was by the loading dock. At 4am there was unending beep beep beep as trucks backed in. Argh. Not good at all. Also...no place to sit outside!!
We would go back. The view is amazing. Winery's are close by and worth going to (Grey Monk and Arrowleaf). Do yourself a favor. Get some wine, cheese and grapes and your hun and enjoy the sunset.

2 Thank orchickie
Thank you for your feedback of your recent experience at Sparkling Hill Resort. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us for two nights. As a health and wellness resort we strive to accommodate and anticipate the individual needs of our guests.

I am disappointed to know that you did not enjoy your dining experience in our PeakFine Restaurant. Please know that our Chef has been informed of the inconsistency of your meal.

It was fantastic to read your comments and descriptions of your room. We are very fortunate to be able to offer our guests spectacular views of the adjacent Lake Okanagan and surrounding countryside. Due to the remoteness of our resort, many of our guests also experience sightings of local wildlife such as deer and various birds from their rooms!

We are very proud to be able to offer our guests over 100 unique and varied spa treatments. I am so pleased that you were able to enjoy the steams and saunas and found check in and check out to be good. I also appreciate you mentioning how friendly all of the staff are. We are working with our suppliers to ensure no delivery trucks arrive before 8am, we hope to have this resolved soon.

I am glad that you were able to enjoy plenty of activities during your stay with us. We are very fortunate to be surrounded by a variety of unique Okanagan wineries as well as several golf courses.

We value your thoughtful comments and look forward to your next visit with us.

Penticton, Canada
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We have stayed here a couple times now.Rooms are nice and make sure you get a Lakeview Room,you will not be disappointed.Lounges are cozy and restaurant food is good.I would suggest calling ahead or looking online for any specials they might offer.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank like2travelplaces
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Sparkling Hill Resort. It is wonderful to hear that you have chosen Sparkling Hill for your visit. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed the lovely and tranquil views that Lake Okanagan provides from the comfort of your room. I hope that you were also able to take advantage of our KurSpa facilities during your stay with us.

Thank you again and we look forward to accommodating you again in the future!

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Fairfield Inn & Suites Vernon
Prestige Hotel Vernon
#5 of 20 in Vernon
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Vernon
The Castle at Swan Lake

Been to Sparkling Hill Resort? Share your experiences!