“Excellent sleep”

Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
Oliver, Canada
“Excellent sleep”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

I have 2 kids under 7 who never sleep well in hotels. This hotel had comfortable beds, was quiet and had true blackout curtains which meant my kids slept in almost 2 hours later than normal. The pool was large, the kitchenette well equipped. The staff was courteous and unobtrusive. The construction currently going on wasn't an issue as the suites wing has a separate entrance, like an apartment building. I'm curious to see the place when the construction is complete. Most importantly, my kids had fun and we all slept well. I can't ask for more!

Room Tip: I recommend getting a suite
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Abbotsford, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

During our 2 night stay with my family we stayed at the Sandman Inn. We stayed in a "suite" which was basically an average hotel room with a counter and kitchen attached.

The pool was basic, but the kids had fun.

Walking around the hotel, there were pieces of wall or baseboard missing because of the renovations.

It was really nice having Denny's right on site and there was a variety of other restaurants and a grocery store nearby.

Room Tip: Do not book a room next to the pool. I would assume it would be very noisy
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

Firstly, these places REALLY need to fess-up and tell you if they have construction going on at the time you book. I would never normally have stayed in that place (especially with other choices just down the road), but the room was book for me by someone else. What an absolute dive! My colleague and I arrived to find the foyer in dissaray from construction and a front desk clerk who was at best "slow". It took him almost 20 minutes to get us checked in. Honestly, I thought I was on Candid Camera! It was painful! When we finally got to our rooms, not only were they very small, but the air conditioning in mine was poor at best and not working at all in my colleague's. This in the 30+C heat of the Vernon valley. Oh, joy!! In addition, albeit that it was after 4:00 p.m. when we arrived, my collegue's room had not been made up at all and it literally looked like someone had just crawled out of the bed. Nasty! And there was long black hair stuck to the wall's of my bathroom (shudder!). Plus the whole place stank like a museum. It was disgusting. I was very close to just walking out of there, but our schedule didn't allow for the extra time it would have taken to move hotels. Trying to sleep in there with the heat and the smell was almost impossible. This place is a hovel. Not my first poor experience with Sandman hotels, either. I am adamant that I will NEVER stay in one again. I will also inform my entire network to avoid them. Sandman, you blew it and you've lost customers as a result.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel!!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank alberthead
Manager-General, General Manager at Sandman Inn & Suites Vernon, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Alberthead,
I sincerely thank you for your feedback and apologize that a response was missed. We do appreciate your genuine candor about the state of our hotel at the time of your stay and we feel remised that you were not properly informed. It is with responses like yours and from our previous valued guests that we seek to make improvements to the hotel and the services that we provide. I am happy to report that our hotel has gone through the challenges of renovation and we would like to take the opportunity to invite you, our previous guests and all patrons to come share in the many enhancements we have made including the newly renovated lobby and all our guest rooms. Give us a chance to show you that we have listened and that constant and vigilant improvement in guest services and product are part of the Sandman culture.

Travellers are raving about these Vernon hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

The room was quite adequate. We were just there for the night. Our room did not have elevator access so we lugged luggage up the stairs. We had not booked this hotel but our hotel lost Roma from a pipe break, so they were helping us out.
I thought the restaurant was very good value!

• Stayed August 2013
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed 4 nights.1st afternoon checked in, worked all day in in 94 degree heat got back to room ,air not working .Called front desk uncaring bad attidute , were unsure after conversation what they were going to do. Phone a second time later different person said they would give us another room , he came up with key. Checked room no fridge he said we could take the fridge from room we were in. We had to move fridge ourselves but at lest we had air. 2nd day went to appointments cameback at 3 pm room was not done, fridge stoped working. Told maid who check other rooms for fridges , found one we had to move old one out of our room and move new one in ourselves. Did I mention im 60 years old? Where promised $10 breakfast vocher we had we had to presurre them for upon check in. 3 rd day a new box of crackers and a banana I had bought for a snack went missing. Nobody seemed to care. On a upside the room was clean and newly renovated.

Stayed July 2013
North Saanich, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

My elderly mother & I were booked to stay 4 nights. They never told us when we booked the room that they were renovating. They told us the room we were in was just done a month or so earlier, and rooms just down the hall were being done. There was no fridge in the room, we could not open the window that was facing all other rooms. The key cards did not work ( one night I tried 10 times before I went to the front desk ) I went to the front desk three times about the key card during our stay. My mother and I both got migraine head aches from the paint & glue fumes. My mother was so ill one day she stayed in the room and could not rest because of the construction. Th 3rd. night there was a dog barking & whining across the hall. Then the next morning we were woken up at 5:30 A.M. to the young people in the rooms all around us yelling, banging, singing & running back and forth between the rooms with the doors open. Every morning we woke with migraine head aches and generally did not feel well. We checked out a day early and when I asked the man at the desk if he would please get our bags from the room he gave me a cart and I had to retrieve them myself. I realize they do not normally provide that service but under the circumstances I think they could have made an exception. To top it all off they gave us a $30.00 discount because of the dog barking. When I got home I phoned the head office in Vancouver. I then got a call from the manager of the Vernon Sandman. He offered me a discount on my next stay. I told him I would never stay there again so he offered me a $40.00 rebate for our stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Warman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

We had to switch hotels in the middle of our stay. The Sandman was amazing!!! Ashley upgraded us from 2 doubles to 1 king. The room was clean, comfortable and had plenty of space. The hotel was going through renovations, but the work was left in a usable state during the weekend we were there. Apparently there was a baseball team in-house. We never heard any noise from other rooms or the hallway.
We didn`t have time to try the Denny`s or the pool.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple