“Horrible Campground”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Dutch's Campground

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vernon
Dutch's Campground
Ranked #11 of 12 Speciality Lodging in Vernon
Tokyo, Japan
“Horrible Campground”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I stayed at this campground on Tuesday, August 5, 2013 with three families. We had changed our plans and did not have any reservations anywhere else, so we stayed here. Although I could tell that there were major roads running very closely to the campground, because there were some trees and a creek, we decided to stay. This stay came at the tail end of long days of driving so we were all a little desperate to find a place.

As was the case with another reviewer, there was no one to check in, but a member of the cleaning staff was able to show us around and thought there might be some openings. After some time, we were able to confirm that there were openings, but found that the sites were very dirty. There was lots of garbage around the site that needed to be picked up before we could set up and picnic tables that were broken and filthy. Still, out of desperation, we cleaned up the sites and set up our tents. Once the tents were set up, we heard some large banging sounds and realized that on the side of the campground opposite the major roads, there is a railroad, on top of a bit of a hill that is next to the campground! We were told by management that this was an inactive railroad and they had not heard any trains on it in the past two weeks, but we certainly got lots of train noise on the afternoon and the following morning we were there.

There is a heavy wasp infestation at this campground. I do agree that there are generally wasps out at this time of the year, but I think that the management does not try to lessen the problem at all. As mentioned by another reviewer, this is one of the few campsites that I have seen where there are open garbage receptacles that help attract the wasps. Also, there are wasps hives hanging dangerously low from the trees directly above the campsites that do not help the issue.

Also, as mentioned in many of the other reviews, there is a fast moving creek with steep banks that are dangerous for kids. The facilities are also very run down, with plugged toilets and sinks and in a state of disrepair and filth.

I suppose that the concept of buyer beware could be applied to the noise, wasps, disrepair and the creek, but what finally drove us to leave this campground was that later in the evening as we were making dinner, a very large dead tree branch (about half a foot in diameter) came crashing down from above us on which hung a live wasp hive. The branch and hive landed several feet away from one of our group, barely missing her and she got attacked by the wasps. It was absolutely terrifying as she was a mere few feet away from very serious injury or death. We also discovered another live wasp hive very close to one of our tents that was precariously hanging and swaying in the wind. Looking up at the trees, we discovered that there were many large dead branches above us.

The management did come and investigate and some neighbors of the owner sprayed the hive that had crashed to the ground. However, when we spoke with the manager about this issue, she told us very condescendingly, "these things happen all the time in nature, darling." Because it was already getting to be too late to move campgrounds, we asked that we be moved to another site without the dead branches or a wasp hive, but there was really not much left. I agreed to move one tent away from the branches and hive for the evening and share the site with the other family in our group, but asked for a refund for the following evening as we would like to leave in the morning (rather than staying the two nights that we had intended). Even after one of our group nearly getting hit by the falling branch, I was told, "We have a no refund policy." Please note that I was not asking for a refund for both evenings, but only for the following evening as we would like to leave in the morning! I do not believe that a campground operator should get to profit for driving away its customers with dangerous conditions. I got very upset and we had an argument that led to us being told to "pack up and leave" after I got a refund. At this point, this was fine with me, but the owner came out and apologized and agreed that we would be welcome to stay the evening or as long as we liked for free. He also explained that the reason for all the dead branches was that certain biologists would not allow the branches to be cut. While I appreciated his offer to stay, we left the next morning because it was simply too dangerous and unpleasant to stay.

I do appreciate the owner not being able to cut and remove dead branches from the trees, but as a campground operator running a business, the owner has a duty to ensure that campers are reasonably safe. If the area has a lot of dead branches that could fall at any time, the owners should not sell those campsites.

What is even more unbelievable about this experience is that later in the evening, we saw another couple pull into the exact site where the dead branch and hive had fallen. In fact, because the management had not cleaned up the branch or the hive, they were both still visible! The other couple had been told that the particular campsite was open and available for camping. When we pointed out the hive and branch to them, the couple chose to change sites and sleep in their truck.

I have been camping all of my life both with adults only, kids and with large groups in many locations across Asia, North and South America and even Afria, but this site, was, by far, the most poorly managed, dirtiest and most dangerous camp ground that I have ever stayed at.
I do not generally write reviews, but this experience was so terrible that I hope others will be able to avoid this place.

22 Thank 768Carol_M

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We have been camping for decades throughout BC and other countries, but this campground was, by far, the worst and most dangerous campground that we have ever stayed at. This campground is bordered on two sides by two major, busy roads, which have traffic running throughout the night and is bordered on the third side by a railroad. There is a major wasp infestation which is not aided by open garbage bins placed at every campsite (rather than a covered dumpster or covered garbage cans). We could also see several wasps nests in trees above the campsites that had not been removed by the owners. There is a fairly heavy growth of poison ivy growing along the fast running creek. Although the staff do warn you of the creek, it is quite dangerous for children with the steep banks along the creek. The other dangerous problem is that there are many large dead branches on the surrounding cotton wood trees. One large branch crashed on one of the picnic tables while we were there. Luckily, no one was sitting at the table, but it would have caused serious injury or death if the branch had hit someone. When we brought this to the owner's attention, he was very nice about it, but mentioned that he is not permitted to cut down the trees due to certain environmental regulations. We were also told that falling branches happen all the time in nature (though one would counter that a camp operator should take care not to place campsites directly under these dead/dying trees). This place is also not maintained very well (only one out of four sinks working with one sink completely flooded and plugged) and is quite dirty. There are very few staff members around. The picnic tables and the sites themselves were littered with trash and food remains from previous campers.

I agree with the previous reviewer that this is the worst campground ever. Loud, dirty, dangerous and not managed at all. This is the first and only time that I have left a campground because I felt unsafe staying there.

We only stopped here because we had trouble finding any openings in the nearby provincial parks, but even after paying for two nights, we left after one. We found much better private camp grounds in the Okanagan area. More tree cover, less noise, safe, more responsible operators.

11 Thank Shin T

Travellers are raving about these Vernon hotels

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I stayed at this campground on Monday Aug 4, 2013 with my family.

The location has good potential with a creek and cute ducks all around. However, the experience was HORRIBLE.

Upon arrival there was no one to check in with just a cell number which was called and no one replied. We selected a site and later found someone in the office to pay. The campground was mostly full so we had to pick a dirty site there were beer bottles and garbage that needed to be cleaned up before we could setup the tent.

The people beside us were young, rude, drinking heavily, and openly using drugs. I asked them to be quieter, they ignored the ask. At 11:30PM called management they seemed uninterested in my welfare but implied something would be done. No corrective action was taken so until they passed out around 1:30AM they kept up my entire family.

In the morning I complained to the manager she refused to re-inverse me, even had the gull to say "it cant be done", "against policy" and other lame excuses despite the fact I was a very unhappy Customer. She made excuses about security not being available etc...She even suggested I should have left but if I did i'm sure my money would not have been returned either and it is not far to suggest the quiet family leave in the middle of the night to keep the parties/drug users happy.

I have camped all over Western Canada and the US and this was my worst experience ever, sadly the management seems to not care and to boot it was expensive. My advice is stay far away from this campground they have no right to be in business

Room Tip: Do not stay at this campground, it is a waste of money and run poorly
13 Thank Kent E
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2013

The place was beautiful, loved the creek and trees. But I gotta say if you are looking for somewhere safe, quiet and sane? Do not go here. AND it wasn't the other campers it was apparently the owner!!

The staff were nice enough, ....when you could find them. We tried to check in, someone who was in the office but apparently didn't work there... said, "pick a place, I think that's electrical over there." ..and yes we did have to move.

The owner, I find out later, comes by drunk as a skunk, I suppose it's his business and can do as he likes, but then he bums a beer.
Even that, well so what? We are on holidays, have a beer. Nice enough guy though he made almost no sense, he was that drunk.

But this story doesn't end! Not only was he drunk all weekend, and high, the smell of pot was pretty strong and I didn't appreciate it around my family, some kind of ruckus started up around 2 or 3 am which also apparently involved him.

This is not a family campground and we did not feel safe, and cut our time short.
Maybe if the campground gets a different owner?
It is a lovely ..if small spot..until then I, for one, will never go back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
13 Thank Frank B
Reviewed 17 June 2013

This is my second trip in the past year to this location with a third upcoming in August for a week and would not consider camping anywhere else. A hidden gem campground with a beautiful creek and even more amazing lake 3
Minutes away as well as anything else you want but if you can't control your children Around running water. Or have an issue backing up a large fifth wheel or bumper pull trailer as well as a large motor home. First off you shouldn't Own it and second off camp at Walmart they have huge parking lots for people
Like you. Highly reccomended personally great place as well as great people working on the staff

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Lee T
Athabasca, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 7 July 2012

On our drive into the campground we were very disappointed. When we called to make our reservations we were not told that its right off of a very busy road, we reserved site 105 and was told we would be put into site 1 which is their annual site and all it is, is pavement and right beside their white water rapids for a creek. There was no warning signs telling people of the unsafe water level and conditions I was scared for my 4yr old son. The playground consists of a $50.00 fisher price playground set for toddlers and a swing set made out of old 2X4's on the side of a sandy hill, if you are wanting to have a campfire you are out of luck. On arrival all garbage's including 6yard bins were over flowing all the staff was worried about was collecting refundable bottles, at 8 pm staff leaves so there is nobody to supervise campground in the evening, people we loud till 3am. Worst Campground EVER!!! And if you stay and want to leave cause of the bad conditions you will not get a Refund what a good way to keep customers coming back. They are not willing to make customers happy.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank Kim P
Penticton
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We found the location of the campground, easy to find and central to everything. If you have a SMALL trailer or a tent this is a fine place. We were told upon booking RV's have no problem here. Wow, that was not our experience, the sites are all back-ins, this is not a big deal for us . The sites are extremely small and have trees with low branches. Our site was across the bridge located on the property that is barely large enough for a single vehicle. We have a 35' fifth wheel with 3 slides. I told them that when we made the reservation. It was crazy ! The people 2 sites down with the large motor home told us of their adventure parking as well. This is really a tight campground and if it was busy , I would not attempt this with anything larger than a bowler. There are riverside tenting sites that in great weather would be nice, this weekend the river was spilling over and ducks were swimming in their campsites. This campground is no frills, no cable, bad internet , the staff is nice, curbside garbage & recycling ( Nice) good location but not large enough for bigger rigs across the bridge and tight sites.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family