“A Great New Addition to The Vernon Restaurant Scene”

Station BBQ Smokehouse
Ranked #2 of 218 Restaurants in Vernon
Price range: US$8 - US$23
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Serving Authentic Slow-Smoked Southern Barbeque!
Dorval, Canada
“A Great New Addition to The Vernon Restaurant Scene”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Friends of our`s suggested that we get together for dinner at this relatively new restaurant in Vernon. None of us had ever been to the restaurant. The menu could best be described as Southern US BBQ smokehouse coupled with a good choice of Cajun dishes. The menu can be found on their website so I won`t bore you with the details. Suffice it to say that there is a good selection of choices to satisfy most people who enjoy this style of food. I had the Bid Bad Wolf which includes a servings of pulled chicken, pork, brisket, sausage and 3 ribs. Included were 2 sides and a Bacon Maple Corn Muffin. I had the maple-dijon coleslaw and the BBQ fries. What a treat for the taste buds! I was expecting at least one in this combination to fail but they were all done to perfection. Others at the table chose the Texas Brisket which they thoroughly enjoyed. Their selection of sauces were a delight. Everyone was very satisfied with their meals. The service was excellent. The servers knew the menu very well and the friendly owner came to our table a few times to make sure that we were satisfied with our meals and service. The decor is typical of a BBQ restaurant. There is ample parking on the street and at a lot very close by. I highly recommend this restaurant for those who enjoy southern BBQ, smoked or Cajun dishes.

2 Thank VernonBirdman
Tanya W, Owner at Station BBQ Smokehouse, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Hi VernonBirdman,

We'd like to thank you for your great review of our restaurant, and your friends for suggesting us as the place for your get-together. Word of mouth advertising is the best advertising, and we are very happy that it is working for us. That is the best indicator that we are doing something right. Thanks again.

Fayetteville, Arkansas
“Pretty close to authentic!”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I have lived in North Carolina, Georgia, and Texas, and the food here is VERY close to the real thing! I had a plate called The Big Bad Wolf, which had pulled pork, ribs, and andouille sausage. All three were excellent. The sauces were pretty authentic, too. (It is hard to call any sauce truly authentic because in the South every BBQ joint has its own secret sauce!) I had the Brunswick stew, which is pretty close to what my grandmother made. The cole slaw is made with vinegar instead of mayo and is quite good. The plate also includes a tasty corn meal muffin. The prices may be a bit high, but they do include tax, and the servings are pretty large. I ate half of each thing on my plate, took the other half home for lunch the next day, and was very full after both meals! Also, smoking meat takes many hours, so the preparation costs more than conventional cooking. This restaurant easily compares with most of the BBQ places I have eaten across the South!

3 Thank marge237
Hi Marge237,

We really appreciate you taking the time to review us, and for the wonderful things you said. Authentic, slow-smoked Southern BBQ is our motto and we always love hearing confirmation from those with experience that we are hitting our mark.

many thanks, Tanya
“Overall great!”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Went for dinner at this restaurant last night and loved it. We had a group of people including kids, and there was something for everyone. I had the pulled pork which was cooked to perfection. You get your choice of BBQ sauces at the table, so some of us tried a little bit of everything. The portions were quite large, so you get good value for your money and the staff were all very friendly as well. I would definetly go there again.

4 Thank Maple7
Hi Maple7,

Thank you so much for your kind review. My husband and I are very pleased that we were able to make it a great experience for everyone. We pride ourselves on being a family restaurant, both in the sense of how we run it, and who we cater to. Glad to hear that you'll be back, and we can't wait to welcome you again.

British Columbia, Canada
“Tasty brisket”
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

So I was driving by and noticed this new BBQ restaurant so decided to give lunch a try. I had a brisket sandwich which was very tasty. (17$) With this you get one side and I choose the beans, which were good as well. My only complaint- and I mentioned this to the chef/owner when he came around-was the portion size. I had maybe 5 small slices if brisket and a TINY bowl if beans that were gone in 4 bites. For the price I expected more on the plate as it looked empty. How about a couple onion rings even as a garnish? Or 5 or 6 fries? Something! I don't know why a new restaurant wouldn't fill the plate a bit more. To the owners credit he seemed to appreciate the input. And I want to say again that the food WAS very tasty. Just need a bit more. Will try again.

5 Thank cruiserjim68
Tanya W, Owner at Station BBQ Smokehouse, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Hi Cruiserjim68,

Thank you for your review of Station BBQ Smokehouse in Vernon, BC. We are extremely pleased that you found the food tasty as that is certainly our primary goal. We sincerely regret that you didn't find the portions large enough, and we will review the consistency of our portioning again, as many of our customers are ending up taking some of their sandwiches and platters home because they said the portions were more than they could finish in one sitting. We are still quite new and it is certainly possible that we didn't portion your sandwich per the usual large standard. We hope you will give us another try when you drive by next time, and we will continue to do our best to improve in this area. As a side note, just for the sake of accuracy, we do also want to mention that our Texas brisket sandwich is actually only $15, and our listed prices include all taxes, so really the brisket sandwich and a side dish are comparable at $14 to other places that don't include the taxes in their price. The $17 (tax in) sandwich option is the Manwich sandwich, which is nearly half a pound of Texas brisket, with a full 1/3 pound Andouille sausage on top.

Many thanks again for your review!

Eric & Tanya (Station BBQ Smokehouse)
St. Albert, Canada
“Welcoming atmosphere, great food!”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stopped at the Station BBQ Smokehouse in Vernon while visiting family, and had a wonderful meal. Because there was so much on the menu to choose from, we decided to have a bit of several dishes. The "moutine" was excellent -- crisp fries, tasty gravy and real cheese curds made it as good as any we have had in Quebec. And the added touch of smoked beef brisket made it really unique. The grilled shrimp were firm and just the right amount of spices; and the Brunswick stew was hot and spicy. The smoked back ribs were meaty and tender, and the "Old Chief" sauce made fresh on the premises was just right. We finished our meal with a serving of Maple Creme Brulee -- a perfect Canadian dessert. Our server was very helpful, and we enjoyed talking to the owners who were very welcoming. Although this restaurant has only been open a month, they really have it together! The old railway station has been completely renovated by the owners, with nice personal touches such as a beautiful varnished cedar plank on the bar, and elegant large washrooms. Great atmosphere and yummy food -- perfect for a Saturday evening out. Thanks so much for a nice evening.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Brenda4730
Hi Brenda4730,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are very proud of the work we have done to renovate this location. It was a lot of work, but it ended up looking exactly like we had pictured when we started. It is great to hear such wonderful things about our food as well, since that is the backbone of what we do here, and it is very rewarding to get it confirmed by our customers. Hope you can stop by again!