“Long Weekend at Westin Whistler”

The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler
Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 12 October 2011

loved it, very nice place, very nice people, amazing staff

Sincere smiles all around

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,154)

Reviewed 8 October 2011

We arrived at the hotel about 3 p.m.having been delayed for a couple of hours in a traffic build up due to a bike race between Vancouver and Whistler. There was a long queue at check in but there were several members of staff to deal with it. We were greeted by a friendly and pleasant girl who advised us that although we had requested a high floor we were actually allocated a room on a lower floor.When we expressed our disappointment she found a room on the 6th floor which would be ready in 40 mins .As I have poor eyesight I prefer higher floors as they are usually brighter and easier for me to see so we agreed to wait.We were told the top 3 floors were block booked.
We had booked a one bedroom suite. On entering the room I thought it smelt musty and I noticed the windows were very dirty on the inside as well as outside. I had the impression the room was not used much. The view was of lots of high fir trees directly outside the window which blocked the light and made the room feel gloomy.However the room appeared clean and the amenities were excellent with a full kitchenette crockery etc. There was a big deep bath and a separate shower and the bed was very comfortable. We also had a fireplace in the living room and a second t.v. in the bedroom.There was a balcony off the living room with a great view of the fir trees up close.
The bar staff were attentive and friendly and my husband was able to watch the rugby world cup in the bar. However on the second day when we returned to the room I found an empty condom wrapper on the floor in a cupboard where the ironing board is kept. This was definately not there the day before as I had checked the cupboard to find the ironing board. My husband took it down to reception and within a short space of time we had received an apology from the manager and an offer of a complimentary buffet breakfast which we accepted. We were also told we would be met by the housekeeping manager before checkout.On reflexion we should have asked for a change of room as I had been concerned that someone had been in our room in our absence.We checked out the next morning . There was no meeting with the housekeeping manager and no mention of it by the English girl who checked us out in a businesslike manner. I did enjoy my stay in Whistler but my memories of this hotel will always be of a gloomy room with an unpleasant incident . I did appreciate the quick response from the manager but regret that we did not insist on being moved as it may have made all the difference to our stay. I would not stay here again

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet but have no view. Don't bother asking for a high floor as its ignore...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2011

Dear dustylin,

We’re grateful that you took the time to share your feedback here. Our guests should never have to leave without feeling completely satisfied, and it alerted us that we missed this opportunity with you. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further and reach a resolution, so please contact me by email at bryceb@westinwhistler.com.

Best regards,
Bryce Beatty
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 6 October 2011

We loved our stay at the Westin in Whistler. The hotel is so integrated with the town, and there is so much to see and do. Particularly wonderful service at the concierge desk (Juan?) (which coordinated all of our leisure activities including bear watching, dinner at top of the mountain, kayaking and so on), and at the restaurant, where the wait staff, breakfast buffet chefs, and maitre d' were particularly accommodating (when my daughter commented that she loved strawberries -- the garnish of her omelette, the omelette chef (Ian?) went in the kitchen and came back with a bowl of strawberries he had prepared just for her). Nice spa.

Room Tip: ask for mountain view
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2011

Dear TravelPlanner97,

Thank you so much for sharing your review! We're delighted that our team was able to go above and beyond to make your stay extra special. We hope we can welcome you and your family back soon!

Best regards,
Bryce Beatty
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 28 September 2011

I've stayed at this resort numerous times and I'm always impressed with the warm staff. The hotel is well appointed with the usual Westin amenities and high level of finishing (including a recently renovated indoor/outdoor pool) but the staff really enhances the experience.
• Location; South end of the village (not creekside) near the Whistler and Blackcomb lifts. Nearby rental facilities offer all snow sports and bicycles.
• Rooms; huge, I think they all have a kitchen and the 1 bedrooms suites I've stayed in all had a balcony and a fireplace.
• Dining; Aubergine Grille (the main restaurant) has a great breakfast buffet (ask for the eggs Bennie).
• Coffee; fail, walk out the front door and go to “Lift Coffee” or that big chain a little further down Village Stroll

Room Tip: I prefer to face north. The west side of the west building or the east side of the east building ar...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 September 2011

I am extremely grateful of the outstanding customer service provided to me by Melissa in your in-house Reservations Dept.

To be perfectly honest, the SPG Reservations team proved to be completely unconcerned, uncaring and simply unwilling to assist me with completing my earned free night’s stay at the Westin Resort Whistler claiming there was no availability. I was transferred several times, put on hold a few times and lost the connection twice.

I contacted your resort and was quickly transferred to your in-house Reservations Dept. upon which time I was introduced for the first time to Melissa.

Melissa was caring, understanding and showed empathy to my needs. And, I found out that there had been recent cancellations providing availability for which my free night award did qualify. Melissa held a room for me, transferred me to SPG and suggested that if I had any issue with my room to have SPG contact her directly.

Unfortunately, SPG again proved their shortcomings, indicated no availability, that they could not do anything manually and that they would not contact Melissa to confirm availability.

I called Melissa back and she graciously offered to contact SPG to make the arrangements.

I’m very pleased to say, I received a junior suite for my nights stay, Saturday, September 10th at the Westin Whistler Resort – all thanks to the outstanding customer service provided by Melissa!!

Melissa even personally called me back to apologize for what I had been put thru and with Manager approval offered me free parking and internet for my stay. And it gets even better. To my surprise, I was handed a personalized envelope upon check-in with a hand penned note from Melissa welcoming my family to the Westin along with breakfast vouchers. WOW, she is simply amazing!
Melissa’s outstanding customer service makes your resort stand head and shoulders above your competition and is a major reason why I will return again and again to your resort!

J T Hooker

Room Tip: All rooms are outstanding, but you're in Whistler so try to secure a view of the mountains
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Joe H
Reviewed 16 September 2011

My wife and I spent a couple of nights at the Westin as a final 'babymoon' shortly before the arrival of our first child. Although our stay was in the summer, we still appreciated all of the convenience of the Westin's central location to Whistler village as well as the main Whistler gondola. Our room had a wonderful view out onto the bottom section of the slopes, and we enjoyed seeing the gondolas sweeping past the window and watching the mountain-bikers finishing their downhill runs. The highlight was undoubtedly seeing a large Black Bear roaming down onto the lower section of the mountain, almost right down to the edge of the village - we watched it all from our window.

We tried the breakfast buffet, which was good, but also liked the fact that the rooms had very well-appointed kitchenettes, including dishwasher, fridge, stove and oven, meaning that a fully self-catered stay would definitely be easy, particularly with the village's supermarkets just a short walk away.

Our stay made us want to come back during the winter, if only to curl up in front of the fire after a day out on the slopes.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with views of the slopes/gondola
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I own a fractional interest in a 2 bedroom at the Westin Resort & Spa in Whistler and we vacation there every year. This is indeed the best location in Whistler as you walk out of the resort and 10 steps and you are at the Whistler Village gondola building. The resort has updated all the rooms around 2010 (the resort was built in '01) and they did a nice job. The resort has an indoor/outdoor pool and hot tubs as well as children's programs. The staff are attentive, although not to the level of a Four Seasons/Fairmont or Ritz but this is a Westin afterall.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the East tower (as that is the tower closest to the slopes with views of the gondo...
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family