“Overall nice hotel, great location but NOT 5 star!” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler
Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
GreenLeadersGold level
Saratoga, California
“Overall nice hotel, great location but NOT 5 star!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

We spent 7 nights over Christmas, high season. Overall we had a comfortable and enjoyable stay, but this hotel has too many shortcomings and it definitely is not a 5 star resort!

The positives:

- perfect location: right off the gondola, where the ski camps/school meets
- love the kitchenette and the fire place in the room (we were in the 1 bedroom suite)
- Heavenly bed is great and comfy
- great kids' Christmas activities, daily. Lots for the kids to do.
- ski equipment rental and storage on first floor: very convenient (though you have to pay for it if you have your own stuff)
- helpful concierge and front desk, easy check in

The negatives:

- housekeeping: sub-par! It is obvious we had different people making the room every day because every day it was a bit different: one day it wasn't vacuumed, but the beds were nicely made, the other days they vacuumed, but it looked like my 5 year old made the beds. A magazine that we left on the floor was still there later, I guess they just vacuumed around it. Bathroom amenities were few: the first 3 days we only had soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion on the 4th day a sewing kit, mouthwash and other things started showing up. No slippers provided (but bathrobes are). When we first arrived, there were the previous occupants' remnants on the carpet (tag from clothing that had been cut off). There was no price list for minibar, I requested one by calling but it never came.
- a heavenly bath it was not. Simple plastic shower head, no frills bathroom, minimal amenities, as mentioned above, no storage space
- coffee machine was never cleaned (hot pad area had some coffee spills)
- room: very basic, a bit tired, NOT 5 star for sure. There is NO PLACE to hang jackets or put ski boots/poles, a clothes racks with shelves or some pegs by the door wouldn't have killed them! It IS a ski resort after all.
- The wifi is unreliable, it is constantly coming and going, and if you don't have status (like we did) expect to pay $10/day for wifi which I think is a CRIME! (I refuse to give any hotel who charges so much for a room and doesn't provide free wifi an excellent rating!)
- the pool area: TINY TINY TINY! There is NO INDOOR POOL. Yes, you read that right! There is one TINY hot tub inside, another outside and the swimming pool is outside! Yes, it's heated, but not everyone wants to swim outside in winter! There is a very small part of the pool indoors and everyone congregates there…or kids use the indoor hot tub as a pool…crazy.
- Though the food is good and choices are decent, breakfast at the restaurant is slow, they are sorely understaffed and cannot keep up with the holiday volume.
- temperature control: it was always too hot in the room if the fireplace was on, couldn't control it
- no DVD in the room, yes you can request one (subject to availability) but at a 5 star resort you would expect one
-shuttle: we were told there was a shuttle to other parts of Whistler available. I called to inquire about it and they told me I couldn't book it, to just go down. So, us 5 (2 adults+3children) went to the entrance and told the valet. they were so rude and totally unconcerned. they said the shuttle wasn't available. I asked where it was, they finally admitted that it was there but everyone was to busy to drive us (to a friend's house in the Upper Village) and we'd have to wait …30-45mins (totally made up to made up a time to make us go away). No apologies, no politeness, nothing…appalling.

To sum it all up, we used points and we were upgraded to our larger room due to my husband's platinum status (after lots of back and forth, so this was a great stay for us and would definitely come back if that was the case again. But if I was paying $900/night (which I think is the rack rate for high season) , I'd feel like I was getting ripped off!

Room Tip: The studio suites are cramped!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank IlariaK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Korean first
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

We stayed here in December in one of the 1 bedroom suites with a mountain view. It was great for a family of 3. It did look a bigger in the photos but there was plenty of room for us. The fireplace and full kitchen were great amenities to have. The proximity to the gondola was perfect. The pool and fitness center were great. The only complaint was the extra charge to have wi-fi in the room. Wi-fi is available in the lobby, however. Staff was great and overall great experience.

Nelson, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

We recently spent a few days at the Westin in Whistler with our 2 large dogs. It was a perfect location for our family vacation with our four legged furry children. All staff were so accommodating allowing the dogs to sit outside the lounge and the restaurant while we had drinks and dinner. The room was very comfortable, especially the bed, and location to village ideal. So satisfied with our stay there I'm not sure we would even look for alternatives our next time back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
mitcfaw, General Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Bodoskier,

Thank you for staying with us! We love to be able to offer an unforgettable experience to our guests, even those of the canine variety. We hope to see all of you again soon!

Issaquah, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

This is our 3rd Christmas and 4th year coming to Whistler in a row- and 3 out of the 4 times we stayed at the Westin. What keeps us coming back: 1. Proximity to the ski lifts and Whistler kids 2. Whistler kids childcare in the hotel 3. Family friendly 4. Holiday events all week: movies, video games, daily holiday kid fun(ornament making, gbread decorating etc), hot chocolate in the lobby, Santa etc. 5. Kitchen for simple meals- a must with small children 6 . Apres snacks geared towards families- the s'mores and the chocolate fountain was crazy fun! 7. Comfortable bed (pull out is a typical uncomfortable pull out 8. We had great service- from check in to check out. 9. Nice fitness facilities- that yes I use in the winter!

Frankly, during the holidays, this is a GREAT hotel for young kids.

What people complain about: 1. This is not a wired, boutique hotel in the city- so don't expect perfect internet, easily wired TVs etc. 2. Ski storage fee- someone needs to pay for those people to get your skis and store them, and show up at the base of the mountain for easy drop off. If you put them in the rooms, they will destroy the rooms, and the hallways leading to the rooms. Leave them locked in your car if you don't want to pay the fee. 3. Parking fee. It seems out of proportion expensive. I don't mind paying a parking fee, just think it is curiously expensive 4. There is no resort fee- which would have included parking, the fitness room and pools, and the ski storage. I prefer the a la carte, because I don't want to pay for services I don't need.

What I don't like: This is not the Fairmont. This not the Four Seasons. The food is average- even with the new opening. We chose to try our Christmas dinner here, instead of the Fairmont, and while we saved money frankly I didn't feel like we were having a special event dinner. This felt like dinner at a garden variety hotel restaurant. Poppers on the tables does not a special holiday meal make! I found the food to be okay, but having meals elsewhere at the same cost, this didn't really compare.

Overall, we are VERY PLEASED with the Westin at Whistler. We plan on coming again next year!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear azbxdy,

Thank you for sharing your review! I'm pleased to let you know that as of June 30 we have an entirely new and improved WiFi system. I'm confident on your next visit it will exceed your expectations.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

On the plus side, the Westin has a great location, steps to the gondolas…its heavenly beds deserve their name… the Firerock lounge is lovely… front desk staff were mainly friendly and helpful, and the public spaces are grand. Now the negatives: Our unit had a well-worn kitchen, the HVAC system never worked as programmed, there was no ventilation in the bathroom, and the view from the windows was obscured by massive condensation and ice (and water pooling on the windowsills.) We could see this was an issue for other suites as well. Also, as others have said, nickel and diming is the way it is at the Westin. When I balked at spending $9+ per night to store my skis centrally which the hotel demands, I was told that some guests choose to store their equipment in their car “as our parkade is very safe.” In fact, the parkade is fully open and accessible to pretty much anyone all day long, and signs warn you not to leave anything of value in your vehicle. I was also told that the hotel’s policy is to charge their guests for the services they use instead of building them into the room rates that everyone pays. Well I’m not opposed to user fees, IF three reasonable conditions are met:
1. That there is “choice” around the use of optional services (there is not… if you ski or ride, as most guests do during the winter, you are required to use their equipment storage for a fee);
2. That user fees are applied evenly (they are not… for example, the Westin does not charge fees for the use of fitness facilities, even though I’m willing to bet that fewer guests use those during the winter than the ski storage); and
3. That fees are clearly disclosed at the point of sale/reservation, so an informed buyer can assess value for money. (They are not, though you may find mention of fees buried on some obscure page of the web site.)
Raising this matter in an email to the GM, I received no reply. Mmmmm....
So, in the interests of full disclosure as you shop around: a pretty outrageous $30 per night for parking (or $34 for valet parking)… $9 per night per pair of skis (to max $27 per night per unit) and $4.95/hr or $14.95/daily for Internet!…. which will make you nostalgic for those internet cafes circa 2002. Oh, there is free Internet in the lobby but it is painfully slow and unreliable. There is simply no excuse for this, given all the other properties, retailers and even on-mountain lodges who manage to pull off free, high-speed wireless access at Whistler. I notice through review boards that management has committed to improve the Internet services since 2012. Mmmmm...
Even the hotel’s communication around a power outage for electrical work 11 pm to 7 am for 2 nights running seemed completely tone-deaf to a situation that may, in fact, be quite inconvenient for some guests who have early flights or special needs or young children, or who simply want to watch a late-night movie while on holiday. No sincere acknowledgement or special gesture around this, simply the delivery of flashlights and directions to call an agent if “you have questions.” Unbelievable!
And finally, the hotel has an option to forego daily housekeeping (not just linen and towel laundry but all service) for SPG points or a $5 voucher. It seems like a pretty shrewd way for the Westin to save labour and provide incentive to dine at the hotel… but having opted to go along with this so-called “green choice” for our multi-day stay, we soon discovered that no one offered to replace daily amenities, coffee, even toilet paper; that requires a call to the front desk, or the luck of finding a room attendant in your hallway with supplies.
To sum up, we have stayed at many properties at Whistler over the years – mostly very good ones – and as much as the Westin has going for it, we did not feel like valued guests at all, and likely will not return.

Room Tip: East Tower is closest to the gondolas/village, and probably quieter.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank D3TO
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear D3TO,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed review. I truly appreciate the opportunity to read your candid and honest thoughts. I apologize that you didn't receive a response to your original email. I would like the opportunity to speak with you personally, so at your earliest convenience please email me at lisa.mccormick@westinwhistler.com.

Surrey, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

My wife and I stayed here recently while attending a company function with my employer. The rooms were very nice and the beds extremely comfortable and clean. Only problem with the room was that the closet was very tight to the bed to get in and out of. Not a huge deal. The gym is great. Everything worked which is great because many places I visit more items are dysfunctional than functional. Great view while working out. We are at a ballroom for our dinner and the food was quite good. The hotel is quite near to the village, maybe a minutes walk, which is convenient. The only thing we didn't like was that we arrived at 2:45PM to check in and were told our room was not ready and that technically it was not supposed to be ready until 4PM. They offered to take our bags, let us go for a walk and they would call us when it was ready. Never got a call. Went to the desk at 4PM and asked if the room was ready and they said yes. We went up to it only to find our bags were still sitting downstairs! Had to go back downstairs, ask someone where our bags were and haul them back up. We weren't given bag tags when they took the bags so we assumed they were taking them up. Not a huge deal but kind of irritating. All in all a pretty nice stay. You can't go wrong. ***IF YOU FIND THIS REVIEW HELPFUL PLEASE TAKE A SECOND TO INDICATE SO***

1 Thank bference
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear bference,

Thank you for sharing your review! It was a pleasure to welcome you and your wife, and we're glad to see that you enjoyed your meetings and your time in Whistler. Please accept my apologies for the mixup at check in. As your first impression of the hotel, we should have offered a much more prompt and intuitive experience. I'm confident you'll find your arrival much smoother on your next visit.

Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Booked this hotel through Suite Secrets (whistler.com) and got one night for $139, which seems like a good deal.
The hotel is really nice, feels more luxurious than for example the Hilton in Whistler. Good location, close to restaurants and ski lifts. We got upgraded from a Deluxe Studio Suite to a One Bedroom Suite, sweet! Clean and nice bathroom (tub + shower), comfy bed and linen (queen size), nice fireplace and a well-equipped kitchenette (fridge, stovetop, oven, toaster, coffe maker etc.). Great for making breakfast in the morning.
The hotel spa is also really nice; 1 indoor + 1 outdoor hottub + 1 outdoor pool, treadmills and some other gym stuff, sauna and steamroom. All included for all guests.
In all, we were very happy with our stay and would have given the Westin 5 stars if it wasn't for all the extra expenses: hig speed internet is $15 (which is a total rip off, who charges for internet nowadays?), self-parking is $30 and ski/snowboard valet is around $10 per pair of skis/board. The ski/board valet is mandatory, the bellhop made it very clear to us (almost agressively), but when I asked the receptionist she said it is ok to bring the board to the room if it is still packed in a boardbag. Try overnight parking at the conference centre (5 min walk) for $5.
We've tried the Hilton in Whistler and some of the nicer places on Blackcomb, but this is our absolute favourite so far.