We spent 7 nights over Christmas, high season. Overall we had a comfortable and enjoyable stay, but this hotel has too many shortcomings and it definitely is not a 5 star resort!
- perfect location: right off the gondola, where the ski camps/school meets
- love the kitchenette and the fire place in the room (we were in the 1 bedroom suite)
- Heavenly bed is great and comfy
- great kids' Christmas activities, daily. Lots for the kids to do.
- ski equipment rental and storage on first floor: very convenient (though you have to pay for it if you have your own stuff)
- helpful concierge and front desk, easy check in
- housekeeping: sub-par! It is obvious we had different people making the room every day because every day it was a bit different: one day it wasn't vacuumed, but the beds were nicely made, the other days they vacuumed, but it looked like my 5 year old made the beds. A magazine that we left on the floor was still there later, I guess they just vacuumed around it. Bathroom amenities were few: the first 3 days we only had soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion on the 4th day a sewing kit, mouthwash and other things started showing up. No slippers provided (but bathrobes are). When we first arrived, there were the previous occupants' remnants on the carpet (tag from clothing that had been cut off). There was no price list for minibar, I requested one by calling but it never came.
- a heavenly bath it was not. Simple plastic shower head, no frills bathroom, minimal amenities, as mentioned above, no storage space
- coffee machine was never cleaned (hot pad area had some coffee spills)
- room: very basic, a bit tired, NOT 5 star for sure. There is NO PLACE to hang jackets or put ski boots/poles, a clothes racks with shelves or some pegs by the door wouldn't have killed them! It IS a ski resort after all.
- The wifi is unreliable, it is constantly coming and going, and if you don't have status (like we did) expect to pay $10/day for wifi which I think is a CRIME! (I refuse to give any hotel who charges so much for a room and doesn't provide free wifi an excellent rating!)
- the pool area: TINY TINY TINY! There is NO INDOOR POOL. Yes, you read that right! There is one TINY hot tub inside, another outside and the swimming pool is outside! Yes, it's heated, but not everyone wants to swim outside in winter! There is a very small part of the pool indoors and everyone congregates there…or kids use the indoor hot tub as a pool…crazy.
- Though the food is good and choices are decent, breakfast at the restaurant is slow, they are sorely understaffed and cannot keep up with the holiday volume.
- temperature control: it was always too hot in the room if the fireplace was on, couldn't control it
- no DVD in the room, yes you can request one (subject to availability) but at a 5 star resort you would expect one
-shuttle: we were told there was a shuttle to other parts of Whistler available. I called to inquire about it and they told me I couldn't book it, to just go down. So, us 5 (2 adults+3children) went to the entrance and told the valet. they were so rude and totally unconcerned. they said the shuttle wasn't available. I asked where it was, they finally admitted that it was there but everyone was to busy to drive us (to a friend's house in the Upper Village) and we'd have to wait …30-45mins (totally made up to made up a time to make us go away). No apologies, no politeness, nothing…appalling.
To sum it all up, we used points and we were upgraded to our larger room due to my husband's platinum status (after lots of back and forth, so this was a great stay for us and would definitely come back if that was the case again. But if I was paying $900/night (which I think is the rack rate for high season) , I'd feel like I was getting ripped off!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Whistler Village just yards from the gondolas and the slopes of Whistler and Blackcomb mountains, The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler is an all-suite, full-service conference hotel and spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Starwood, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Resort And Spa, Whistler
- The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler Hotel Whistler
- Westin Resort Whistler
- Westin Hotel Whistler
- Westin Whistler
- Whistler Westin