“You have to know what you're getting...”

The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler
Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“You have to know what you're getting...”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I was torn between 3 and 4 stars, and ultimately went with 3 because I cannot fathom paying $800 or $1000 a night here and not being tremendously upset about it. On the other hand, I'm here on points, and it's maybe the best place in North America to use them if you like to ski because Whistler is kind of the greatest place on planet earth.

First, the great: the location--two seconds from the lift. And for those who don't usually stay at Westins, there is a reason business travelers seek them out--the beds are terrific for a hotel.

Second, the great for "not me." This seems to be an incredibly family-friendly place. BUT, a place like this has to choose whether it's catering to large families or couples and friends, and Westin has clearly gone strong in the family direction. Kids eating in the hot tub, opening and closing the door to the sauna (or their parents are), running around everywhere, etc. So this is a huge, huge plus if you're here with kids, a huge minus if you're not.

Third, the very good--the service. People are friendly and responsive.

Fourth, the meh (and the key problem)--the rooms themselves. Man, do they *desperately* need an overhaul. This is an issue with an increasing number of Starwood properties over the past couple of years, and this Westin is no exception. The rooms just look tired, including, but not limited to, chipping paint, gashes in the walls, etc. And speaking of the rooms and those kids, there is a HUGE soundproofing problem through the doors between the rooms. This should not be hard to address, but it's a major, major issue and was ultimately why I went with three stars. (Note: if you're here with enough people that you have two connecting rooms, this obviously is not a problem.)

Fifth, the truly bad--the pool / hot tub / sauna area. This was obviously really nice at one point, but given that this is more of a family focused hotel now, they have got to get more space out there because you feel as if you're in the middle of a very crowded playground. Heck, what they really need to do is to create a family area and an over-18 area. (Btw, this is for the families, too. I was in the hot tub two days ago with: (1) small children; (2) a couple about my age talking in graphic, drunken detail about the sex they were about to have with each other. No good for anyone.)... Also truly bad, the climate control in the rooms. Just doesn't seem to work with any precision. (Pro tip, though: crack the window if you're using the fireplace, or the room is going to get stupendously hot.)

Sixth, the inexcusable--the Internet. They choose not to spend the relatively small amount of money to give guests a consistent Internet connection. The Internet was free for me, but if I were paying even the modest amount of $10/day for it, I'd be livid. (Aside: why not charge more, as many places do, to cover the cost of providing it *well*?)

Bottom line: if you have points and a family, this is a perfect choice. If you have money and a family and want to be on top of the lift, you'll also be happy. And finally, if you have points, no family, but not a ton of money, this could easily be worth is as long as you know exactly what you're getting--I definitely expect I'll be back for this exact reason.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank JasonNYC333
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Jason,

Thank you for your taking the time to share your review! I appreciate all of your kind words as well as your honesty and constructive feedback. Please know that your comments will be shared with our entire team as we continually look for ways to improve during our busiest season. We truly appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back!

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We spent 7 nights over Christmas which usually means a lot of noise but these rooms are great. The hallways were quiet. Having a kitchen means you can shop for food at the Village Shops which is a short walk away. $30 for the hot and cold breakfast is a lot of money for families. Parking is $40 a day but $8 parking is nearby.The ski lift is a short walk which means you can get there early in the morning. Ski fitting is on the first floor along with clothing shops. The workout area has few machines for a busy morning. If you come during a busy time you must make reservations for dinner before you arrive. The Gondola ride for non skiers is $100. for one trip but you can then do the Peak to Peak ride. If you are willing to wait there is a special glass floor Gondola but it is small if the cab is full. The washer dryer was a plus for our family and wet clothes. The hotel doesn't have many amenities but the shops are very close.

Room Tip: We were giving a Mountain View which turned out to be a tree view but we weren't in it enough to...
Saratoga, California
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We spent 7 nights over Christmas, high season. Overall we had a comfortable and enjoyable stay, but this hotel has too many shortcomings and it definitely is not a 5 star resort!

The positives:

- perfect location: right off the gondola, where the ski camps/school meets
- love the kitchenette and the fire place in the room (we were in the 1 bedroom suite)
- Heavenly bed is great and comfy
- great kids' Christmas activities, daily. Lots for the kids to do.
- ski equipment rental and storage on first floor: very convenient (though you have to pay for it if you have your own stuff)
- helpful concierge and front desk, easy check in

The negatives:

- housekeeping: sub-par! It is obvious we had different people making the room every day because every day it was a bit different: one day it wasn't vacuumed, but the beds were nicely made, the other days they vacuumed, but it looked like my 5 year old made the beds. A magazine that we left on the floor was still there later, I guess they just vacuumed around it. Bathroom amenities were few: the first 3 days we only had soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion on the 4th day a sewing kit, mouthwash and other things started showing up. No slippers provided (but bathrobes are). When we first arrived, there were the previous occupants' remnants on the carpet (tag from clothing that had been cut off). There was no price list for minibar, I requested one by calling but it never came.
- a heavenly bath it was not. Simple plastic shower head, no frills bathroom, minimal amenities, as mentioned above, no storage space
- coffee machine was never cleaned (hot pad area had some coffee spills)
- room: very basic, a bit tired, NOT 5 star for sure. There is NO PLACE to hang jackets or put ski boots/poles, a clothes racks with shelves or some pegs by the door wouldn't have killed them! It IS a ski resort after all.
- The wifi is unreliable, it is constantly coming and going, and if you don't have status (like we did) expect to pay $10/day for wifi which I think is a CRIME! (I refuse to give any hotel who charges so much for a room and doesn't provide free wifi an excellent rating!)
- the pool area: TINY TINY TINY! There is NO INDOOR POOL. Yes, you read that right! There is one TINY hot tub inside, another outside and the swimming pool is outside! Yes, it's heated, but not everyone wants to swim outside in winter! There is a very small part of the pool indoors and everyone congregates there…or kids use the indoor hot tub as a pool…crazy.
- Though the food is good and choices are decent, breakfast at the restaurant is slow, they are sorely understaffed and cannot keep up with the holiday volume.
- temperature control: it was always too hot in the room if the fireplace was on, couldn't control it
- no DVD in the room, yes you can request one (subject to availability) but at a 5 star resort you would expect one
-shuttle: we were told there was a shuttle to other parts of Whistler available. I called to inquire about it and they told me I couldn't book it, to just go down. So, us 5 (2 adults+3children) went to the entrance and told the valet. they were so rude and totally unconcerned. they said the shuttle wasn't available. I asked where it was, they finally admitted that it was there but everyone was to busy to drive us (to a friend's house in the Upper Village) and we'd have to wait …30-45mins (totally made up to made up a time to make us go away). No apologies, no politeness, nothing…appalling.

To sum it all up, we used points and we were upgraded to our larger room due to my husband's platinum status (after lots of back and forth, so this was a great stay for us and would definitely come back if that was the case again. But if I was paying $900/night (which I think is the rack rate for high season) , I'd feel like I was getting ripped off!

Room Tip: The studio suites are cramped!
1 Thank IlariaK
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We stayed here in December in one of the 1 bedroom suites with a mountain view. It was great for a family of 3. It did look a bigger in the photos but there was plenty of room for us. The fireplace and full kitchen were great amenities to have. The proximity to the gondola was perfect. The pool and fitness center were great. The only complaint was the extra charge to have wi-fi in the room. Wi-fi is available in the lobby, however. Staff was great and overall great experience.

Nelson, BC
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We recently spent a few days at the Westin in Whistler with our 2 large dogs. It was a perfect location for our family vacation with our four legged furry children. All staff were so accommodating allowing the dogs to sit outside the lounge and the restaurant while we had drinks and dinner. The room was very comfortable, especially the bed, and location to village ideal. So satisfied with our stay there I'm not sure we would even look for alternatives our next time back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
mitcfaw, General Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Bodoskier,

Thank you for staying with us! We love to be able to offer an unforgettable experience to our guests, even those of the canine variety. We hope to see all of you again soon!

Issaquah, Washington
Reviewed 26 December 2013

This is our 3rd Christmas and 4th year coming to Whistler in a row- and 3 out of the 4 times we stayed at the Westin. What keeps us coming back: 1. Proximity to the ski lifts and Whistler kids 2. Whistler kids childcare in the hotel 3. Family friendly 4. Holiday events all week: movies, video games, daily holiday kid fun(ornament making, gbread decorating etc), hot chocolate in the lobby, Santa etc. 5. Kitchen for simple meals- a must with small children 6 . Apres snacks geared towards families- the s'mores and the chocolate fountain was crazy fun! 7. Comfortable bed (pull out is a typical uncomfortable pull out 8. We had great service- from check in to check out. 9. Nice fitness facilities- that yes I use in the winter!

Frankly, during the holidays, this is a GREAT hotel for young kids.

What people complain about: 1. This is not a wired, boutique hotel in the city- so don't expect perfect internet, easily wired TVs etc. 2. Ski storage fee- someone needs to pay for those people to get your skis and store them, and show up at the base of the mountain for easy drop off. If you put them in the rooms, they will destroy the rooms, and the hallways leading to the rooms. Leave them locked in your car if you don't want to pay the fee. 3. Parking fee. It seems out of proportion expensive. I don't mind paying a parking fee, just think it is curiously expensive 4. There is no resort fee- which would have included parking, the fitness room and pools, and the ski storage. I prefer the a la carte, because I don't want to pay for services I don't need.

What I don't like: This is not the Fairmont. This not the Four Seasons. The food is average- even with the new opening. We chose to try our Christmas dinner here, instead of the Fairmont, and while we saved money frankly I didn't feel like we were having a special event dinner. This felt like dinner at a garden variety hotel restaurant. Poppers on the tables does not a special holiday meal make! I found the food to be okay, but having meals elsewhere at the same cost, this didn't really compare.

Overall, we are VERY PLEASED with the Westin at Whistler. We plan on coming again next year!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear azbxdy,

Thank you for sharing your review! I'm pleased to let you know that as of June 30 we have an entirely new and improved WiFi system. I'm confident on your next visit it will exceed your expectations.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 December 2013

On the plus side, the Westin has a great location, steps to the gondolas…its heavenly beds deserve their name… the Firerock lounge is lovely… front desk staff were mainly friendly and helpful, and the public spaces are grand. Now the negatives: Our unit had a well-worn kitchen, the HVAC system never worked as programmed, there was no ventilation in the bathroom, and the view from the windows was obscured by massive condensation and ice (and water pooling on the windowsills.) We could see this was an issue for other suites as well. Also, as others have said, nickel and diming is the way it is at the Westin. When I balked at spending $9+ per night to store my skis centrally which the hotel demands, I was told that some guests choose to store their equipment in their car “as our parkade is very safe.” In fact, the parkade is fully open and accessible to pretty much anyone all day long, and signs warn you not to leave anything of value in your vehicle. I was also told that the hotel’s policy is to charge their guests for the services they use instead of building them into the room rates that everyone pays. Well I’m not opposed to user fees, IF three reasonable conditions are met:
1. That there is “choice” around the use of optional services (there is not… if you ski or ride, as most guests do during the winter, you are required to use their equipment storage for a fee);
2. That user fees are applied evenly (they are not… for example, the Westin does not charge fees for the use of fitness facilities, even though I’m willing to bet that fewer guests use those during the winter than the ski storage); and
3. That fees are clearly disclosed at the point of sale/reservation, so an informed buyer can assess value for money. (They are not, though you may find mention of fees buried on some obscure page of the web site.)
Raising this matter in an email to the GM, I received no reply. Mmmmm....
So, in the interests of full disclosure as you shop around: a pretty outrageous $30 per night for parking (or $34 for valet parking)… $9 per night per pair of skis (to max $27 per night per unit) and $4.95/hr or $14.95/daily for Internet!…. which will make you nostalgic for those internet cafes circa 2002. Oh, there is free Internet in the lobby but it is painfully slow and unreliable. There is simply no excuse for this, given all the other properties, retailers and even on-mountain lodges who manage to pull off free, high-speed wireless access at Whistler. I notice through review boards that management has committed to improve the Internet services since 2012. Mmmmm...
Even the hotel’s communication around a power outage for electrical work 11 pm to 7 am for 2 nights running seemed completely tone-deaf to a situation that may, in fact, be quite inconvenient for some guests who have early flights or special needs or young children, or who simply want to watch a late-night movie while on holiday. No sincere acknowledgement or special gesture around this, simply the delivery of flashlights and directions to call an agent if “you have questions.” Unbelievable!
And finally, the hotel has an option to forego daily housekeeping (not just linen and towel laundry but all service) for SPG points or a $5 voucher. It seems like a pretty shrewd way for the Westin to save labour and provide incentive to dine at the hotel… but having opted to go along with this so-called “green choice” for our multi-day stay, we soon discovered that no one offered to replace daily amenities, coffee, even toilet paper; that requires a call to the front desk, or the luck of finding a room attendant in your hallway with supplies.
To sum up, we have stayed at many properties at Whistler over the years – mostly very good ones – and as much as the Westin has going for it, we did not feel like valued guests at all, and likely will not return.

Room Tip: East Tower is closest to the gondolas/village, and probably quieter.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank D3TO
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear D3TO,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed review. I truly appreciate the opportunity to read your candid and honest thoughts. I apologize that you didn't receive a response to your original email. I would like the opportunity to speak with you personally, so at your earliest convenience please email me at lisa.mccormick@westinwhistler.com.