“Great Location but…” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Cleveland, Ohio
“Great Location but…”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

You couldn't ask for a better location in Whistler Village especially if you're here to ski. Seconds away from both mountain gondolas and at the head of the major thoroughfare of the village, Its perfect in that respect and so I would almost recommend it. " Hotel" staff are friendly and make you feel welcome, and the breakfast, while slightly over priced, is complete. Decor is rather on the low end but clean and beige so unoffensive. That said there is a major issue with the ski shop connected to the hotel. The staff at the back in check in are helpful, but the girls ( and it seemed to be mostly divided by sex) at the front of the store were awful.. I dropped off my skis to get sunday night to get tuned, and nearly every interaction I had with the front of the shop from that point forward garnered a different reply from them (if you don't know redirect to someone who does its that simple girls, attitude will get attitude back)… Each acting as if I was stupid for not knowing their wacky time policy (when in fact I don't believe their know-it-all attitude was anything more than conjecture)… I was told my skis would be back the next morning by one with complete confidence; when they weren't, I was told mid-morning by another; when that didn't happen I was told late in the evening by a third and so on they weren't in the shop till late morning on day two but not properly tuned so they had to be returned for a 3rd night… Every time I was greeted with attitude and drama by the front one girl even told me as my skis were rolled in on the evening of day three that I could now attack the guy bringing them in ( she has no idea what an attack would actually look like if she though my simply being pissed off about the lack of aptitude was attacking)… god forbid I actually got annoyed by it. With Westin charging one of the highest premiums in Whistler, and demanding high prices for services, to allow such a second rate establishment handle the ski shop is a disservice to the hotel. In the end My skis had to returned for further tuning even after I involved the front desk manager... Was I comped for the tuning? NO.. I was comped for the 2nd day of loaner skies but really? The whole deal should have been free by the end of it. Having brought my skis across the entire continental North America to have them need service for five days for tuning that would have taken 24 hours at any other resort ( simply because it wasn't done right the first time, not because of an excessive need to be repaired...) over a one week trip just completed the outrage. Advice? Stay at the Four Seasons for about the same price and just a little less connivence, they'll get it right Im sure. When you pay luxury prices, you should get luxury not drama.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank JoshuaSims
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear Joshua,

Thank you for staying with us! I'm glad to see you enjoyed the location and that our associates made you feel welcome during your stay.

I was very troubled to read about your experience at the Whistler Blackcomb rental store. Though this is managed independently from the hotel, I consider it an important service that is offered to our guests, and one that should be delivered at the high standards we enforce ourselves. I will personally follow up with the shop directly to discuss your experience.

I hope the positive impression the hotel left on you will bring you back on your next trip to Whistler. If there is anything I can personally assist with, please feel free to email me at lisa.mccormick@westinwhistler.com.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

First class service and amenities. Priced appropriately..excellent slopeside location and ski service. Pool hot tubs and spa facilities are excellent. Decor and ambiance exemplary. Generally very nice experience.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Whistler Blackcomb.com

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your comments! I'm delighted to see that we exceeded your expectations.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

We booked ourselves 2 weeks here in January '14 for our honeymoon. The 1 Bedroom apartment was nice enough for the two of us and a good base to eat, bath, sleep and lounge after days on the slopes. The ski valet service (which is free if you hire gear through Whistler-Blackcomb) is pure bliss, what a luxury to hand your board away at the bottom of the slope and go for a drink and not having to cary it around and look after it. We used the breakfast buffet a few times which was nice with a good selection of food, dangerously too much before a day boarding! A very big plus point and compliment for the concierge service. They booked various activities for us, and have a good knowledge of what tours are available and what they consist of, due to their help we booked probably the best one of the two available zipline tours in Whistler.
A critical note though, we booked this almost a year in advance and in the booking process as well as on our booking slip which we handed over it was mentioned that this was our honeymoon. The Westin however decided not to acknowledge this in any way or form, which I find rather poor. I'm sure they have enough creativity on a service skill level to come up with something to make a stay like this extra special, a missed opportunity. I guess that perhaps goes with the rest of our stay where you feel left to your own devices, help is there if needed when you ask. But don't expect Westin to do a courtesy check-up to find out if everything is ok or if there is anything they can do for you, which elsewhere around the world tends to be a standard protocol in 5* resorts like this.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear T2theZ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review, I was pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay, and the special recognition you gave to our Concierge team. I must apologize that we missed the opportunity to celebrate something as momentous as your honeymoon. We do our best to make every guests' stay as special and memorable as possible, and I see that we missed the mark here. I do hope you'll return for another visit, perhaps for your first anniversary, and I invite you to contact me directly at lisa.mccormick@westinwhistler.com so I can personally ensure your stay is wonderful.

Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

My husband and I went to the spa at the Westin hotel in Whistler for a couples massage and milk bath. The Westin has always been a home run for us so we didn't hesitate to try their spa.

First off, the staff was very friendly! We were both pleased with the front desk staff and had a great first impression. Everything was very clean and modern.

However we were a little bit disappointed with the waiting area. It was not relaxing and certainly didn't reflect the price we paid for the treatments. It is a small room with a few tables and chairs at them. They had tea and water available. We went straight from the waiting area to our massages, there was no locker to store our things or a robe to change into. The massage room was nice enough but it was divided! I had pictured our couples massage in a room where we could talk and see each other if we wanted to.

We were chosen to receive complimentary oxygen therapy during the end of our massages. It was awkward and uncomfortable when the staff member was fumbling with the nasal prongs. They were also not comfortable to wear and the oxygen tank was quite loud. The effects were noticeable however, we both felt good. To be fair, the staff was still learning how to use the machines.

The milk baths were ok, they were also separate and smelled kind of like Mac and cheese! We both felt nice and smooth but both agreed it was hard to shower off afterwards with no shampoo or soap and just a hand held shower wand that didn't reach my hair very well hahaha.

We were told that you can park in the parkade for free if you are using the spa however, we ended up getting a ticket! It was easily resolved when we called the front desk and brought them the ticket.

Overall we were nicely relaxed but a little let down by the Westin because our previous experiences have been really great. We don't plan to return when we are in Whistler next time.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JennaMarie360
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

Our family of 5 stayed here for a ski holiday for 10 nights. This was booked by our travel agent in Australia as a deluxe 2 bedroom apartment (it was in reality a 1 bedroom apartment interconnected to a studio room.) Our package included wifi and ski valet so we were not hit with extra costs.
The location is brilliant - very close to the main Whistler lifts and ski school. The location within the village was great - never heard any noise and so close to the village stroll with restaurants and shops.
The rooms are quite small so by the time you have 5 people, 5 sets of ski boots, poles and ski jackets there is no space left! The small dining table only had 4 chairs.
We had two kitchenettes - these were fine for quick breakfast but only bothered to cook dinner once due to the limited space.
The lack of washer/dryer in room was a big negative for me. Having to find coins and wander down the corridor to the laundry room was a chore (often the washer was in use so you had to keep popping back until the single washer on the level was free).
Housekeeping service was excellent.
Our biggest gripe was the dreadful quality of the wifi. Sometimes it worked but often it didn't. I believe it was being upgraded so hopefully this will not be an ongoing problem.
We enjoyed hot tub/pool some afternoons after skiing. The gym looked well equipped.
I would probably stay here again due entirely to the fantastic location. To these who have stayed in condos at other resorts remember this is a hotel - space very limited, no washer/dryer, no drying room, minuscule kitchen space etc.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Adelaide65
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear Adelaide65,

It was a pleasure to welcome you and your family for your extended Whistler vacation. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I'm pleased to see so many positive aspects to your stay, and also appreciate the constructive criticism. We're constantly making efforts to improve, and your feedback is essential. Our WiFi system was indeed under repair, and I appreciate your patience there, I know how frustrating that can be. We hope to see you and your family again next year!

Kilauea, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

My husband and I just got back and are already missing it! The location is perfect, right next to the base of the mountain. There is a great shop on site to rent gear that made it very convenient. We prearranged lift tickets through the concierge Naomi via email who was very professional and had our tickets ready for us at check in. The rooms are awesome! The kitchenette in the studio has everything you need to cook a complete meal. Even though there is a handful of great restaurants right out the door, there is also a good grocery store so we saved money and cooked a couple meals in the room easily. We had drinks and appetizers one evening at the firerock on property and it was very good and loved the cozy atmosphere. Our last meal we dined onsite at Grill and Vine and had an awesome dinner. Our server Riel was great, we had many questions and he gave us his full attention and helped us choose our main courses, which were delicious! We waived our daily housekeeping as we really didn't need it as there more than enough towels in room and the kitchenette had a dishwasher and soap. In exchange we got a $5 green choice voucher and I used that to get my morning Mocha every morning. My favorite part of the day was coming in after a day of snowboarding, getting my swimsuit and robe on and heading over to the outdoor hot tub. Oh what bliss for those sore muscles,I slept soooo good! We can't wait to go back, and next time bring our children.

Room Tip: The top floor has vaulted ceilings!