“Excellent Ski Hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Scotland
“Excellent Ski Hotel”
Reviewed 30 January 2009

We stayed in the Westin for a week at end of January. We were offered an upgrade to the Executive floor for 50 Can$ per night which we accepted. Our room was absolutely great overlooking the main gondola station and Blackcomb mountain.

We had no problems with furnishings as other reviewers have reported. Our room was all you could reasonably expect for a ski hotel where the clientele insist upon taking their skis up to their room overnight.

Our room had very useful kitchen where we could cook up snacks when we wanted. The hotel bar "Firerock" is a lively wee bar with a good range of Scottish malts.

We loved our time here and sorry to leave. The staff could not have been more genuinely friendly and helpful.

We won't be skiing in the inflated European resorts again as this hotel has set new standards for care and attention.

• Liked — The staff who were genuinely the nicest bunch of people. Well done Westin.
  • Disliked — No one single thing. (Perhaps a better exchange rate would help with the value rating)
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank ellysian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 27 January 2009

I was part of the organizing committee for an international ski event held at Whistler. The head organizer had booked me in the Westin for two nights as registration for the event was taking place at the Westin.

Location was great and can't be beat. Overall, it's not a bad hotel. But having stayed at other Westins, I just expected a bit more from them. Staff were generally very friendly and helpful.

I was supposed to check in on Friday for two nights. When I checked in, I was informed by front desk that their records show I was coming in on a Sunday for a week! Fortunately, they had rooms available so they were able to adjust the dates accordingly. I was assigned a room and the bell boy followed me to my room with my luggage. I had a little trouble opening my room door and after jiggling the lock for a couple of seconds, I was able to open it--however there was a woman on the other side of door who just checked in as well! She checked in on the 9th floor concierge level and apparently we were both assigned the same room at the same time. Luckily, the bell boy was with me so he called the front desk to get another room for us. We went up one floor and as soon as we got out of the elevator, another hotel employee who had obviously just ran up the stairs to intercept us, told us the room didn't have the proper view and therefore we had to move down two floors!! Could the third time be the charm?? We finally got into room 665 which was a one bedroom suite with a mountain view. The view was nice and we could see the small pool below. There was also a small balcony that we could walk out to with two chairs. The kitchenette was convenient. I thought the bedroom was very small although the bed was comfortable. The bathroom had a separate shower and bathtub, but not with the Westin Heavenly showerheads.

I have to say I was surprised at how tired the hotel was, especially the hallways since I walked down several of them. They were all scratched up. Every hotel normally has a booklet/binder that introduces all of its services and amenities. The Westin Whistler's was a few sheets of paper printed on a poor quality inkjet printer and put together in a report folder. It looked like something from a cheap motel. The room service menu was very limited. The pool and hot tub area is very small for a hotel this size.

Parking was $24 for self parking and $28 for valet parking per night.

For the prices this hotel charges, some renovations are definitely necessary!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2009

I stayed in the Westin in Jan 09 for a skiing holiday.

The Westin is one of THE best Whistler properties for location. You are 1 minute from the lobby to the ski valet, and then 2 or 3 more minutes from the lifts.
Yes, Westin charges you a $6 ski valet fee per day, but they do wax your skis if asked. And it's cheap. If you want to be a cheapskate like one of the previous posters, then you can carry your skis to your room, but officially you're not supposed to, and you'll quite rightly get frowned at. Pay the 3 quid a day, and be happy you're being looked after.
If you are ultra lazy, when you finish a days skiing at whistler base, you can leave your skis with the ski concierge tent in the village. It's all included in your ski valet fee.

Up in the rooms, it's all good. The beds are wonderful, (I can't believe someone moaned about these, they are quilted and gorgeous, and can't be faulted). The shower room is awesome, the soaker tub is good.
I must admit that the kitchenette is basic, but it's good enough for what you need it for. Let's face it guys, you didn't come here for the kitchen right?
It has a 4 ring gas cooker. An oven. A Grill (Broiler for USA users), a full refrigerator, a microwave... etc.
I slept beautifully for 10 days. That part of town is so quiet, and yet so close to all the action!

All in all, I give Whistler a five. :-)

Stayed January 2009
2 Thank CanucksTraveller72
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 January 2009

We stayed here with another family for 10 days in January. First off, check in was outstanding. Because there were two families, the people checking us in were at great pains to ensure we were all on the same floor and in the same wing of the hotel. The kitchen was okay for preparing breakfast and we even did a couple of easy dinners too. With a family, you need to ask for adjoining suites so you get a bit more room.

Everything that people have written here is correct -- the rooms are a little bit tired, but for a ski mad family group the location and the setup was perfect.

Totally agree regarding the pool set up -- just too small for the crowd!

Would thoroughly recommend - beds are sublime and the spa/massages were out of this world.

• Liked — beds & location
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank LISAG2323
Colorado
Reviewed 16 January 2009

Our stay at The Westin was great. We were surprised to have daily maid service and everyone from the valet to the concierge to the housekeeper was over the top friendly and helpful. Our one bedroom unit with kitchenette was clean and certainly large enough for the 3 of us. Our dinner in the bar was wonderful and I really can't think of anything that wasn't. Great property, great location.

• Liked — Location and amenities
  • Disliked — Can't say
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank torourke
mattcu104
Reviewed 4 January 2009

We stayed at the Westin over New Years this past week and had a great time. Whistler was in much better shape than we anticipated with the snow, and all around the hotel was fine.

For a Westin property, everything that was previously said was dead on. It's not the best, and the fixtures are a bit out-dated, but it's certainly not that bad.

The staff was polite, even though the manager was a bit curt.

My Gripe: We arrived in the morning and inquired if we'd be able to check in early. The staff said yes and noted that we were upgraded due to our SPG status to a mountain view room on the executive floor - great! Turns out the "yes" meant we'd get a call around 7PM that evening and a small room facing the courtyard and the welcome of a maintenance man in the bedroom fixing a safe. After an hour (I realize they were at full capacity) we were moved to a slightly better room. Apparently the room we had waited on was given away.

If you're going as a couple for a quiet vacation, I'd stay away from this hotel. If you have kids, it's probably fantastic. The floors are loud with kids, and the pool / hot tub is packed with children. A 400 room hotel and 1 outdoor hot tub doesn't work. Don't be surprised when you walk down and there are 9 screaming kids in the hot tub.

Overall, the hotel was fine. You can't beat the location. Looking forward to see how the renovations go in 2009 for the Olympics.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Pool
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mattcu104
London
Reviewed 4 January 2009

An early season ski trip where we could be guaranteed snow was our first reason for booking a hotel in Whistler. We placed our booking through Whistler Blackcomb Website which made things all so easy for us and allowed us to book as early as September 08. We booked without taking a peek at any reviews, on the understanding that this hotel was a Westin how could we go wrong. I then read the majority of reviews on trip advisor and prayed they were all wrong. THEY WERE. Our stay in the Westin was great and we were presently surprised that when we arrived we were upgraded to a one bedroom suite looking over the village. Our room was great, not at all ageing, in fact the bathroom was just how we are planning to do our own second house bathroom , so sadly my boyfriend got me to take pictures of the bathroom ... mad I know but he must have been impressed. The positioning of the hotel in Whistler is ideal for all amenities and most important for us the ski lifts up to Whistler and Blackcomb, right on the doorstep, I could even see them from our hotel window. Our rooms were cleaned everyday and the bed was just amazing, I was loving the extra soft cover to the mattress, after a long day on the slopes a good bed is a must. The kitchenette facilities were perfect for our needs, after a tiring day sometimes it was just easier to rustle up a snack in the room than go out for dinner. The hotel restaurant was great. Breakfasts were huge, the buffet breakfast was $22.00 but you could eat as much as you wanted... I am not a big breakfast eater so the buffet was wasted on me but my boyfriend had a fab time. A further menu was supplied for specific breakfast tastes and would work out as less wastage for those who are not big breakfast eaters. I can only say eat in the Aubergine Grille in the evening at the Hotel as its a delight. Their steaks are perfect and the Duck was quackabulous... as for the desserts the Brulee is fabulous too, we shared one and that rounded off our meal nicely. Our waiter was a dream such a pleasant nature. Well done Westin on this front. If your skiing there is a ski valet which is $6 a day, which we did not know we were paying for... take your skis up to your room as you can and you will not have to pay this charge. For me the only thing in need of an upgrade was the gym and hopefully this will be done in the near future... the machines are a little old and run down... the rest of the spa looked okay but didn't really use it. Finally, I had a little tumble on the slopes three days before we came home and needed to be taken to the health centre. The Westin has a great shuttle car service that is there should you need it for incidents like mine. This was great for me as otherwise we would have had to pay for a cab. They took us to the health centre and when we called the hotel, they came to pick us back up. Great!! On our last day we only needed to catch our shuttle service to the airport at 3 pm and we asked if we could keep our room until then. They checked the availability of the room and at no extra charge we got to relax in our room surroundings. Oh before I forget, the living flame fires in the room were a neat idea, my boyfriend would come home and defrost his toes in front of ours : ) All in all our experience with the hotel and the staff was good at the Westin.. we definitely would stay there again, with the supposed renovation even more so. I say don't believe all the down reviews, its a great hotel for what you pay for.

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — The lack of Free Internet Usage in the rooms
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple