“This is the way it should feel.....”

The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler
Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
GreenLeadersGold level
Seattle, Washington
“This is the way it should feel.....”
Reviewed 28 May 2009

This is the phrase that greets you at the front desk when entering this beautiful hotel, and it summarizes our experience perfectly. We stayed at the Westin for the first time near the end of April during the final days of the Telus Festival. I arrived at 4pm on a Friday and expected a long wait and hassle to check in as I knew I was checking in during the busiest part of a typical Whistler weekend. Instead, the valet had my car parked as soon as I could step out of the car, with another gentleman unloading everything efficiently and instantly while directing me where to check in as I was not familar with the layout of the hotel. Check in was convenient and took less than 30 seconds, although I had made the reservation only that morning! I brought my Siberian husky with me, and they did not even charge a fee for having him stay with us. I was followed by a helpful gentleman with my belongings already organized as I went to my room, and he even allowed me to bring my ski equipment into the room, which normally isn't allowed per their policies. We stayed in the west tower overlooking the GLC and Whistler gondola. He explained that the opposite tower was under renovation, and the tower I was staying in was scheduled for renovation. Despite this, there was absolutely no noise or signs of renovation, nor any inconveniences. The hotel room was very nice with thick carpeting, a full kitchen with honor bar, flat screen tv, and gas fireplace. There was a lovely view deck with two chairs facing the village. The location was ideal, yet private and quiet during an extremely busy and drunken weekend for most Whistler visitors! The walk to the Whistler gondola took less than two minutes in the morning and the location was all-around convenient. I ate in the casual restaurant/lounge once and the staff were some of the friendliest people I have encountered in Whistler. They were very welcoming and took time to describe their recommendations for dinner, signature dishes, and B.C. wines even though they were setting up for a party that night at the same time. I felt very welcome here even when dining alone while waiting for my husband to arrive. There is a spa and pool at this hotel although I did not use them due to time limitations during my stay. There is also a business center on the mezzanine level, which I noted was pricey for internet access and printing. There is a daily fee to use the internet, which is lower for wireless only. They also have ethernet cables and secure high speed internet, although the fee was higher for this. I used the wireless internet and it was fast and reliable during my entire stay. I cannot stress enough how efficient and professional all the staff members were. I did not open a door myself once during my stay. I have stayed many times at the Pan Pacific and the staff as well as the facilities at the Westin were a cut above. As far as the condition of the facilities, I would say the Westin runs second only to the Fairmount and the Four Seasons, whose facilities are more updated and upscale. However, on a last minute special during festival, the price could not be better at only $99 US. When we decided to stay an extra day, the staff were very accomodating and extended the stay at the discounted price. We only used housekeeping one day, which the hotel uses to make donations to environmental causes for each day customers do not use housekeeping services. The one day we did have housekeeping was outstanding, and even on the days we did not have the room cleaned, the housekeeper stopped by and offered to replenish towels and toiletries and empty the garbage and recycling bins. Very friendly and professional! Staff members seemed to know what their guests needed without even asking for it! I cannot imagine how much nicer this hotel will be once it is fully updated, as the rooms are already outstanding. I am attaching pictures taken during my stay showing the beautiful, relaxing four piece bathroom with soaking tub, including separate walk-in shower for speedier clean up. I would highly recommended the Westin for romantic getaways, location while remaining quiet for guests, value of rooms and pet friendly attitude. I often saw the valets watching dogs for customers who were out and about during the day. Checkout was equally convenient as the staff left a detailed receipt under my door, and I had only to leave the keys in the room and head out! Although we again left at noon, the busiest checkout period of the day, the valet had our car ready immediately and our belongings loaded up carefully and quickly. We will definitely be returning to the Westin with our pooches and our hiking gear this summer!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
British Columbia
Reviewed 4 May 2009

My husband and I spent two nights at the Whistler Westin for a relaxing weekend.

Check in was smooth and efficient. Arrived late on a Friday evening. On first glance everything seems nice. We were in a one bedroom suite on the 8th floor. The furniture looks shabby, the bathroom was small, particularly tub and shower. The walls are really banged up and everything just needs updating.
The linens on the bed were extremely comfortable.

Ended up going to the Firerock Lounge for a cocktail and appetizer the first night. Julia H went out of her way to make us feel welcome. We had gone into the village to get a bite to eat and actually sat in the Longhorn Saloon for 20 minutes and received no service. When we told her this she was appalled and gave us 50% off our food and the two places arent connected in any way.

The spa is really decrepit. The pool and hot tub are actually sort a joke and when after a "heavenly milk bath" the towel i was given to dry off had a big hole in it! The manicure and pedicure were a complete waste of money and not very relaxing as the stairs down to the gym are in full view of the treatment area and people are pearing in at you as they go to the gym the whole time. Not to mention that they add 18% gratuity automatically. It should be an option not mandatory.

Went to the breakfast buffet in the Aubergine Grill the next morning and for $27.50 per person you are really better off ordering a la carte. there was nothing wrong with the food but ther wasnt a huge selection and we ended up ordering the fresh to order omelets which you could get off the regular menu for a lot less.

My husband and I expected a lot more from a "5 peak" hotel. especially considering you are paying through the nose for everything. Parking was $24 for self serve, there was no free internet and they do not refill the coffee/tea basket every day though you can call and for $3 have an extra packet of coffee delivered (did not do)

They are apparently spending upwards of 10 million dollars on renovations this year for the olympics so it might be worth going after that due to location but we will not be staying here again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JellyBean18
uk
Reviewed 15 April 2009

Returning to the hotel for the 7th year out of 8, we were met with the same tired rooms as in previous years., although much deteriorated.
Everywhere looks as though it needs a facelift - it is scheduled before the Olympics.
Having completed a guest profile six months ago - were surprised to find ourselves next to the lift and in the East Tower - specifically not requested. Got very little sleep with lift dinging all night.
Rooms are not spacious, so we did not want pull down beds left out all day, which occurred twice - easy for room service I suppose!!
Door keys did not work - made many trips to front desk - which was not easy from the East Tower - the other end of the hotel. We must have had in excess of 50 cards made.18 alone, one day!, as we had 6 people in our two bedroom suite, This despite front desk saying that someone was going to take a look at lock - three times!!
Despite specifically asking for maid service at 10am and turn down at 8 pm - we had two pull down beds - this seemed to be beyond housekeping.
Three nights we returned from dinner and had to call someone to make up beds. The towels were never collected or replaced at turndown.
We used the hotel restaurant once for breakfast - it was free because of our problems - lovely meal, the chef was great, cooking me eggs benedict at ommelette station. but wouldn't not worth full price.
Some of the shops are now empty at the hotel - rats leaving sinking ship??
Hotel now charges $6 per day for ski valet - was free! So people are taking ski equipment to rooms, despite signs everywhere prohibiting from doing so. The rooms are going to get even more run down with wet, dirty equipment being stored in bedrooms.
The Director of Rooms (is there really such a person) decided to speak to us on our last day to address our issues - where were you all week?? But we were past it at that point - Won't be returning.
Issues over the years - being placed next to lift (reason why we asked not to be, in our profile) - Water leak from another room. Small fire in another room meant being unable to return to room during clean-up, took an entire afternoon. Late servicing of rooms - returning at 3pm to find dirty towels and unmade beds - not good (hence the request for 10am servicing time)
This is supposed to be a 5 star - right??
Spa - ok - not as good as in previous years. Trouble with booking. Facial not as extensive. Usually look forward to this, but found it somewhat lacking.
Time to find a new base for our Whistler vacation.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank lovelongboatkey
Manchester, England
Reviewed 7 April 2009

Stayed for 10nights in March, with wife & 2 yr old.
Put the 2 year old in the on site nursery (she loved it - especially going out in the snow)whilst we went skiing.
Room had a kitchen section - ideal for making breakfast.
Bathroom was very clean with a separate bath and shower.
The hotel restaurant was running a rotation of fixed price menus which made eating affordable - especially when combined with a 50 CAD$ a night subsidy, + children ate free if you ate with them between 5pm & 7pm.
Restaurant staff all very friendly and efficient.

Rooms are due a refurbishment this year (2009), however, our room was perfectly acceptable and I had no cause to complain.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
La Jolla, California
Reviewed 3 April 2009

I'm not sure it's worth the normal price. I won my ''package" as part of a charity auction.

The good - outstanding location - accommodating - amenities - pool - fitness area - bed size.

The bad - nickel and dime-ing -- outrageous parking, outrageous price for breakfast,

The ugly - some mildew around grout -- at those prices?? Staff banging in the hallway early in the morning. Can hear the shower in neighboring room at 6:00 am. Poor soundproofing for the price.

It's a nice hotel - I just don't think it's worth the $$$

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 21 March 2009

The Westin Whistler has one of the very best locations in Whistler, litterally a few steps from the Whistler and Blackcomb gondolas. Only a few hotels in Whistler are as close.

Checkin was very efficient given that we arrived with a rush of people on Friday afternoon. Even the concierge was taking check-ins and we had keys in 5 minutes despite the rush.

Our room, a "junior suite" should have been named "really small studio". It was one of the smallest I've ever seen - nearly Japan-like. It had a "full kitchen" but there was no room left for a table to eat on. (yes, there really was no table) The fridge was just opposite the bed and its compressor made lots of noise at night and ice cubes dropped into the tray at intervals to wake us until I pulled the fridge fuse. The "desk" was about 2' wide and 18" deep! The bathroom was the exact size of a bath tub, toilet, sink and room for the door to swing. There was not enough room to sit on the toilet and swing the door - the door just cleared the toilet. To cap it off the bath walls were moldy.

One of the bath robes had a very large ratty hole in the sleeve and no slippers provided for the trek to the hot tub. (This is supposed to be 5 stars, right?) The resort has two hot tubs, one indoor and one outdoor. It's in a rare Whister area with no views of anything but buildings. Each hot tub could seat about 10 people cozily - not nearly enough for the hotel size with skiiers wanting to loosen up apres. The indoor hot tubs was out of order one day during our visit.

The ski vallet charges $6 / day / pair of skiis. They only accept skiis, no boots or poles. (The other Whistler 5 stars offer more for no charge - some having lockers that fit everything and others a ski vallet that takes everything)

I've stayed at most of the Whister 5 stars, many more than once. I book with the last minute tool on the Whistler web site - a great way to get good deals. With some experience and research it's possible to decode what you're going to get before booking. (They don't tell you outright until you're paid and confirmed) I have not stayed at the newish Four Seasons. Otherwise my favorites are the Fairmont by a wide margin followed by the Pan Pacifics. I don't like the Hilton or the Westin.

Have fun in Whistler! If you're from Canada or Washington be sure to check out the Edge cards which offer nice discounts and convenience. If you're from elsewhere the 7-11 in Squamish has discounted lift tickets.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PaulSEA1
norwich
Reviewed 5 March 2009

Cant really fault the Westin
Get for a family ski holiday. Rooms big enough for 4, kitchenette good enough for breakfast if not taking it in the hotel, which by the way has an excellent spread. Access to the ski lifts within minutes
Concierge excellent with restaurant bookings and help
We will be back for more sometime

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family