“Spectacular property!!!”

The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler
Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 29 January 2011

Convenient with everything close by, from ski valet to restaurants,so everything was so convenient. Special touches like Starbucks coffee in the rooms, awesome swimming pools and saunas and efficient and courteous staff members added up to a very pleasurable experience. I have seen some of the recent reviewers, but would suggest that most of these reviewers have unrealistic expectations or have not traveled enough to understand to true greatness of this property.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,150)

Reviewed 25 January 2011

Stayed here for 1 night to enjoy some snow in Whistler. We arrived early (11am) because we were going snowmobiling at 11:30. We couldn't check in but they let us park our car. We came back around 2:00, there was still no rooms available so we went to lunch and returned around 3:30pm. There was a huge line up to check in, and by the time we got a room we were put into a handicap queen junior suite. Was hoping for a king bed but guess that couldn't happen. Having a kitchen in the room was great, the fridge has a freezer section and its own ice maker (no need to run around looking for an ice machine!) Check out was 11am and there was no way to get it extended. Nice hotel, doggy friendly, average service, but not work the $300+price tag it usually comes with.

Reviewed 24 January 2011

I've been travelling to Whistler for 25 years now and The Westin has always stood out as one of the premier luxury hotels on the mountain. But the term 'luxury' carries with it certain expectations: the accommodations must be top notch, the location premier, and the amenities plentiful. The traveler must feel that by paying top dollar, he will in exchange receive first class service.

Alas, while the Westin still boasts a great location and accommodations, the amenities have fallen prey to the greed of the executive board room. At every step one is charged an additional $5, $10, $20. It feels as though at check-in some kind of corporate leech has been attached one's wallet and continues to suck upon it for the duration of the stay.

Each of those amenities (ski valet, parking, internet, et al) for which The Westin now charges handsomely were once the very items that made it a luxury hotel. Once they are merely another profit stream they are not amenities and with the loss of those amenities the Westin has lost the claim of luxury.

Travelers such as myself who are used to spending more in order to relax and be pampered would do well to look elsewhere. Sad, since the hotel could easily have charged more for the rooms to pay for those services and retained my future business.

1  Thank Chris P
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2011

Dear BruddahChrispy,

Thank you very much for staying with us, and for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your stay. We appreciate your comments regarding our costs. Please know that we take care to ensure all of our services are priced competitively, however your comments are valuable to ensure we continue to offer our guests the best value possible. Your business is sincerely appreciated, and I do hope we will be able to continue to welcome you back in the future. Please feel free to contact me at 604.905.5000 or at bryceb@westinwhistler.com if I can be of assistance or if you would like to further discuss your review.

Reviewed 19 January 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here last weekend and I thought it was pretty safe to stay with the Westin because I ALWAYS stay Westin when I go on vacations and have wonderful service. None of the staff were friendly at all. There was one point where I was struggling with my snowboard gear and the guy working at the valet was just standing there, could not even open the door for me! And when I checked in and out both people at the front desk were very rude. Getting the car valet was a big hassle too the valet guy was so confused then just kind of forgot about us at the end we ended up waiting 20 mins to get everything figured out, it was a big hassle as well. It seemed the staff working in this hotel had no idea what was going on you had to fend for yourself. I don't think I will ever stay here again for the price I paid totally NOT worth it I am pretty upset!

2  Thank kirstibabie
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2011

Dear kristibabie,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback about your recent stay. We strive to offer attentive and instinctive service at every possible interaction with our guests, but I can see that we failed to achieve this during your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for this, and know that we will review your feedback with our teams to ensure we are constantly improving and reinforcing our standards.

I understand that your experience has left an impression, however I truly hope we will be able to welcome you back again in the future so that we can show you the outstanding service we are known for. I invite you to contact me directly to arrange this so that I can personally ensure your next stay with us is memorable. You can reach me at your convenience at bryceb@westinwhistler.com or at 604.905.5000.

Reviewed 17 January 2011

The Westin Whistler had close to five star service if not so. Great lobby with tons of couches and a huge fire place. We stayed in a standard room (aka jr suite) which was not really a suite but for a group of 4 late 20s friends was fine for one night. The room had a nice kitchen (much better than your aveage hotel), the Westin beds that the hotel promotes were top notch and the room even had a gas fireplace! Also bring your swim suit no matter what time of year, great outdoors heated pool and hot tub and a gym with plenty of machines!.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed 16 January 2011

It feels churlish to say anything bad about this hotel, quite frankly, because after my last stay when I complained about something, a lovely lady offered us a room upgrade on our next stay, which we just took advantage of. The room we were upgraded to was great too, so we were very grateful.

And there's lots of good stuff about this hotel. The location is just the best in Whistler, especially if you have kids. You're right by the ski school and Village Gondola - literally walk out the door through the rental shop and you're there. It's also very quiet as it's set away from the main village stroll, but all you need is just a walk away (and if you're feeling lazy there's a free hotel shuttle which will ferry you around).

The staff are all lovely. Most of them seem to be young people from around the world (lots of Aussies and Brits) and all very keen to please. They're exceptionally friendly, helpful and polite and when you ask for anything it generally gets done.

The public areas are stylish - the lobby is very grand (not that you need to go there much as it's not the main route out of the hotel) and the swimming pool/spa area is nice. Our room (a one-bedroom suite) was spacious although we did get lucky with ours and not all of them are as big as the one we got. They have a kichenette which is very handy for preparing breakfast and lets you get out and to ski school/the slopes on time. The concierge was great at booking restaurants for us.

But I do have a few gripes, and they're mainly because the hotel was so full the first week we were there. Firstly, the housekeeping service was lousy, truly the worst I have ever experienced in a quality hotel. My feeling is that there were just not enough staff, because what was done (cleaning the kitchen and bathroom and hoovering) was done well, but there was no attempt to tidy up so the room was as much a tip when we got back (you don't have much time to tidy up in the morning) as it was when we left. A couple of times they turned up before we'd left the room in the morning, or after we'd got back in the afternoon. The day we arrived, the guy checking us in said the rooms were guaranteed by 4pm, but we didn't get ours till 5pm. We had to ask, after staying there a week, if we could have our sheets changed because they hadn't been. A bathrobe disappeared and was never replaced. They put maybe four bowls and four glasses in the dishwasher and turned it on every day - not very green for a company that worries about its carbon footprint, and in the meantime left a glass in the bathroom to fester the entire two weeks we were there. They didn't even put all the cushions back on the sofa. It was just as bad the second week we were there, which was less busy than the first so suggests there's something fundamentally wrong with the organisation of the housekeeping department, or maybe theyr'e just chronically understaffed.

Part of the reason the room was so messy in the first place was the lack of storage space. We got two wardrobes, but these just had a hanging rail (with pitifully few hangers) and a high shelf, and a chest of drawers with four drawers in the bedroom. As most ski clothes (especially kids which are too small to fit on hangers) go into drawers, this soon got full. There was nowhere for the kids to put their toys, except on the floor. There was plenty of space for another chest of drawers in the lounge, but they just hadn't bothered to put one in. Who are the people who design these rooms? Obviously people who pack light and travel on their own.

My other gripe concerns the ski concierge. In principle this is a great idea, and when it works well it's wonderful. The hotel puts a little tent at the bottom of the slopes and collects your skis from you as soon as you take them off. But many of the days we were there, the guys weren't out until after we'd got down - about 2.30, but you have to pick your kids up at 3 so this isn't an unreasonable time. In the morning, you pick your skis up from the ski concierge on the way out. Again, a great idea (they don't allow skis or boards in the rooms so you have no choice), but holy moly, the lines were ridiculous. Some days you had to get down a good half hour before you needed to. Twenty minutes was average. They need more people. It's not rocket science. The second week was a lot better although there were still some ten minuters. And if you think that's bad, the wait to collect your skis from the rental shop in the hotel was just ridiculous. I'm not sure you can blame the hotel as I don't think they run it, but we waited a good hour and a half. Our friend went back later the same evening, and had the same wait. They spent half an hour per family - using the most ridiculously slow method of doing one person at a time. You lose the will to live after a while.

But honestly, don't let that put you off the hotel, because the location just trumps everything, quite frankly. If you've got kids. If you haven't you may find the hotel just too noisy and overrun during holiday times and you may want to try somewhere else. But with kids, I don't think there's anywhere better. If only they'd sort out the housekeeping.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank rosiefromlondon
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2011

Dear rosiefromlondon,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us such a detailed review. We truly appreciate your feedback, and are so glad to hear so many positive comments about your stay. Regarding the challenges you faced with our housekeeping and ski valet services, please accept my sincere apologies. Even at the busiest of times, it is our goal to deliver a high standard of personal and instinctive service. Your feedback has been shared with our teams to ensure we continue to maintain and improve our service standards.

We truly appreciate your business as a loyal guest and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back once again. When planning your next trip, I invite you to contact me directly so that I can assist you personally with your arrangements. You can reach me at your convenience at bryceb@westinwhistler.com or at 604.905.5000.

Reviewed 11 January 2011

I had the shocking Xmas dinner at a total cost of over £200 for a buffet I would not have willingly paid less than half of that for the quality of food,. Just what did the waiter do to warrant almost $60 apparently compulsory tip (17%) beyond opening a bottle of wine, maybe I am in the wrong job?

My room (I am an SPG Plat on a redemption stay and agreed an upgrade to a loft suite in advance with cash) was dirty when I arrived with bits of dry rice embedded in the carpet. I had to request shower gel as a special item for the bathroom as if it was Myrrh or something this was not provided as standard. This has by a long way been my worst ever Westin experience and I am not at all eager to repeat the experience.

On New Years Eve I had to have my living room TV replaced twice (3 TV's in one day). Housekeeping was rather hit and miss and the concierge completely messed up my booking for a Romantic fondue evening (I booked everything myself from thereon in).

The full kitchen seems like a good idea until you see the layout which renders it relatively impractical for any serious cooking.

I stayed at the Hilton Whistler next door 2 years ago and that was twice the property the Westin is. I ended up checking out with an argument about HST that my invoice completely failed to properly show (my suspicion is that the property was billing amounts as HST which would go straight to their bottom line rather than the Canadian Government). A promised email to resolve this issue has still not materailsed over a week after check out and I will be pursuing the matter with Starwood Customer Service

This property could be great but at the very least currently appears to be very poorly managed. I wouldn't recommend it over other similarly located properties because the service and attention to detail is just so patchy. Had I paid the going revenue rate I would have been apoplectic. All in all a real shame as al the right building blocks are there but the whole service doesn't tie together.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank landofmiles
mitcfaw, Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2011

Dear landofmiles,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your recent stay. Guest service is our number one priority however I see that we failed to meet the high standards we strive to deliver and that you have come to expect as a loyal Starwood guest . Your interactions with our housekeeping, service express and concierge teams should have been much more positive and memorable. Please accept my sincere apologies. Your comments are being shared with our team so that we can ensure we are constantly improving and providing the best possible guest experience. I invite you to share specifics with me to assist in our focus of improvement.

I must emphasize that our accounting methods adhere to the strict guidelines and all taxes charged are allocated correctly. Our team can certainly provide you with a more detailed breakdown of your invoice to your liking. Please feel free to contact me directly and I can personally assist you in arranging this. You can reach me at bryceb@westinwhistler.com or 604.905.5000.