“Sorry - Company Policy!”

Coast Blackcomb Suites at Whistler
Ranked #16 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
Port Coquitlam, Canada
“Sorry - Company Policy!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Our one night room rate turned out to be over $350! Sorry that's our cancellation policy. I had headed up to Whistler to check out the Coast to see if we should switch our accommodations for the summer and winter weekends including our annual ski trip. Well on first brush things looked good. I can overlook the fact that a "winter" resort didn't invest in air conditioning - although given how busy it was and how hot it got, they might want to revisit that decision. Those slope side facing rooms get very, very hot.

But when I received a call that my mother was taken the hospital and I need to get that morning, I was less than impressed when told I was within the "cancellation period" and would be charged to the next night! Just over $350 for one night.

So strike the Coast off the list... (Oh and I did fill in the company survey - no reply)

Room Tip: Winter time - any room should be fine. Summer time - try staying away from the Slope side - with n...
2 Thank Richard H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Delta, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

My girlfriends and our children decided to stay a few days up in Whistler for a little getaway. We really didn't need anything too fancy. Just a clean room and a great pool. Trying to be more fiscally responsible, we chose Coast Blackcomb Suites. Where do I start. Upon arrival the hotel looks quite nice. However as soon as you step into your room you realize that there is no AC. Whilst that may not be an issue during ski season, it is when there is a heatwave in Whistler. Our room was a lovely balmy 30 degrees at night. I had never even thought to check this upon booking. Fine my mistake (you know what they say about assuming anything.) My friends and their children and I were all staying on the 5th floor and as we walked to our room we noticed some of the walls were boarded up and the ceiling was exposed. We later found out there had been a fire on that level and a number of the rooms were undergoing renovations. Lovely (insert sarcasm.) We retired to our rooms that night to a not very restful sweaty hot room that was being cooled, inadequately I might add, by 2 floor fans. The next morning I was brushing my teeth when out of the corner of my eye I saw something moving in the tub. I looked down and to my surprise I found a COCKROACH!!! Not being fearful of insects, I quickly put a glass over it and immediately called down to the front desk to have it removed. This was at a 7AM and by 10AM it had yet to be dealt with. At this point, I was ready to leave this hotel and move to another. One cockroach usually means there are others. However the policies that be, forbade that from happening. I tried talking to the gentleman at the front desk who then proceeded to talk to someone in the back office, only to be told that it was not possible for me or my friends to leave without losing the fee for the second night. I finally asked who I needed to speak to as I realized that front desk could do very little to help me with this dilemma. I was handed the business card of the hotel manager (Valerie Haines.) I quickly dispatched an email to her to explain the situation and our desire to leave. I told her we were happy to pay for the first night and the parking but we really just wanted to go. Ms. Haines went up to the room with maintenance manger to inspect our little friend. This is where I started getting quite upset. First, Ms. Haines had been in the building when I was at the front desk. Why did she not come out and speak to me directly? I work with the public and understand that making a scene gets you nothing so I wasn't yelling or screaming. Secondly, she called me to say she could not find the roach. They had gone to the wrong room. At last they were able to verify my complaint. Valerie called back to say they could move my room. I reiterated to her that my desire was for me and my friends to not be penalized a second night if we left. Surely with a company as large as Coast Hotels, our measly 3 rooms could make such a difference. She quickly informed me this was not possible as each suite was privately owned and only managed by Coast Hotels. I would be allowed to leave but the 2 other families could not. Unfortunately we had carpooled and as we are not made of money, felt like we had to stay. I was upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite (still no AC) and our parking was taken care of. Valerie later called to say that they had shown the "roach" to an exterminator and he thought it was a june bug. I have lived in BC for 37 years and have never seen a june bug like this. See photo attached. She told me it was unlikely a cockroach due to the environment that was Whistler. Tell me if I am wrong but in the unlikely event of a nuclear holocaust, I believe it would be the cockroach that would survive. We stayed the second night and checked out the next morning without issue or so we thought. About a week later my friend to whom the room was charged, was checking out her credit card statement and discovered a $64 charge. They had charged us the difference for the upgraded room. It was like adding insult to injury. I am not one to rant and rave about such things but the way in which this situation was handled was absolutely unacceptable. Had this happened at the Pan Pacific or the Fairmont, management would be bending over backwards to try and correct the situation. I have learned that you get what you pay for and will NEVER STAY HERE ever again. This is the first time I have ever written a review for a hotel good or bad but I felt compelled for the public to know what could possibly happen if you stay here. Hopefully this is a one off situation but please be aware how poorly this situation was handled.

13 Thank GermaineWong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

I don't know why so many people are complaining about this hotel. My friend and I got a last-minute summer deal for $99/night (we booked about 5 days in advance on whistler.com) in a studio suite with kitchen, queen bed, double sofabed, and a fireplace.

Nice clean room, well-stocked kitchen, great view of trees, quiet, friendly helpful staff, lovely pool and hot tubs, and a quick and easy 10-minute hike down the ski hill to the village (or a free shuttle bus to the village running every 20 minutes from early morning til 1am).

I really appreciated the eco-friendly refillable large pump bottles of shampoo, conditioner, soap, lotion -- never seen that before in a hotel (those little plastic bottles are so wasteful). I also appreciated the healthy breakfast with lots of options, and nice large indoor dining area plus outdoor patio tables for eating (with heat lamps!).

Great place for kids even though my friend and I don't have kids, and also great hotel if you want to bring your dog (it didn't stink like dogs so don't worry about that!).

I recommend this hotel, especially when there are last minute summer deals like what we got. In the winter, it would be great because you just put on your skiis, go out the back door and ski down the hill to the chair lift right at the bottom.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank Niki W
Salem, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Once they get you with reasonable room rate you are locked in. No refunds. After you call the front desk about the lack of air conditioning you're told "None of our documentation says we have air conditioning" Well none of it says you have locks on the doors either. I am very sorry that we made a reservation here. Stuck for two days in the sweat lodge.

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank powderhound856623
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I was disappointed that despite paying $150 per night for this hotel there was no air conditioning in our room. There was a fan but that was hardly adequate in the heat wave of August when we stayed. We were happy to be able to bring our dog with us (included in room rate, otherwise it is an extra $35). The breakfast buffet was ok. Nothing special. They really could use some meats to go along with the offerings. At the end when we were checking out the front desk clerk tried to charge me for parking even though this was included in our room rate. No way was I paying an extra $70 for the parking for two nights. If you decide to stay here, try to find the rate that includes the parking.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Surrey, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Thought the hotel was a good value and is pet friendly if that is what you are looking for. For some the hotel is too far from the village, however there is a complimentary shuttle from the hotel that makes it so easy.

Lack of lounge chairs at the pool was an issue... Lack of AC was an issue, but to be fair I knew there was not any AC when we booked and they did supply 2 large fans for the room.

Free continental breakfast is always a bonus and our suite had a full kitchen should we have chosen to cook something more elaborate.

Liked having access to the BBQ although on the first night some of the guest did have confusion and did not understand that you had to book 1/2 slots. By the second night this was all straight.

Found the elevators to be a bit "BEATEN UP" looking and could use a cosmetic overhaul, but that did not make or break my stay.

We have stayed in several hotels in the Whistler resort area over the years and this hotel had everything that we personally needed.

We would go back.

Room Tip: Upper floor, mountain/pool view.

Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Had stayed here many times a few years ago and was shocked at how BAD it has got. Filthy rooms, stained torn and worn linens, disgustingly nasty "complimentary" breakfast that the health department should shut down. Got scammed by the Coast site on a non-refundable booking and then put in a room in a construction zone! Plywood hallway walls, exposed electrical wiring, no carpeting, sawdust and noise. Wifi lousy - told to "stand closer to the door"(!). Will never stay here again. Such a waste, because the location is lovely.

Room Tip: None at this point in time, but if you must get far away from the construction zones.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple