“too good to be true”

Pinnacle Hotel Whistler
Ranked #10 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
Reviewed 13 August 2009

My husband and I with 2 young kids arrived at Aug 8 for 2 nights. We booked a Family Fun package that offered by the hotel. The package is ok, you paid what you want., however, the hotel room is not as good as we read from reviews.
We're arranged a corner unit on 3 floor, the views is great with lots of windows and 2 balconies, but the bedding is quite dirty with some sort of "saliver stain" on pillows. The sheet on the sofa bed is also has red-brown stain. These are the things I never see in hotels I ever stayed. The renovation job done poorly, with wallpaper peel off a bit, blinds miss some pieces, The facial tissue paper holder cover not properly install...etc. The real thing that turn me off from cooking breakfast inside the unit, is when I wanted to brew coffee with the provided coffee pot , I opened and found a old coffee is still sit inside, yaak!

Also, when I book the room by phone, I was confirmed that I would have 2 queen beds, but when we arrived, it was just a queen bed with a sofa bed. On the first night, my family cannot sleep well at all with so limited space on the queen bed. The sofa bed bedding is dirty, so we don't use it at all. Then the second night, we request to move to a room with 2 beds, and we're granted. The second room in the second floor is cleaner and more comfortable and tidy than the first room.
This is my first time to stay at Pinnacle Whistler, I really reluntent to suggest my friends or family to stay this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank singsingVancouver_BC
pinwhis, Front Office Manager at Pinnacle Hotel Whistler, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2009

Thank you for taking the time to give your comments about your recent stay with us. We will certainly be addressing your concerns with the first room that you stayed in. One of the things that we pride ourselves in is the clean, comfortable nature of our rooms.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,477)

Reviewed 2 August 2009

Can't say enough about Pinnacle. Front office staff extremely helpful -- steering me to good restaurants, bike paths, hiking trails, etc. Got a 4th floor room with steepled ceiling overlooking the mountains. Could sit in the jacuzzi, watch TV, view the mountains and the faux fireplace without moving a muscle. It was literally 98 degrees outside, and the room AC kept it nicely cool.

Decent restaurant -- Quattro -- downstairs. Only complaint -- outside lighting at Quattro were spotlights that bore down on us -- way too bright, and the restaurant staff said that the Hotel manager would not allow them to reduce the intensity of the light for security reasons. I'll put this one on the hotel manager.

Room was clean and comfortable.

Main complaint - no internet access in the room -- needed to pay $1 for 10 minutes in the lobby.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 August 2009

My husband, baby and I stayed here for three days during Christmas 2008 and loved it. Keep in mind that we went at peak season so had expected to pay $200.00 a night. If it hadn't been peak season, I would not have spent more than $80 on this hotel.

We initially booked it because of the reviews on trip advisor and were happy we did. We had a room on the top floor with balcony, jacuzzi and fireplace. The room had a kitchenette and we used it the entire time we were there.

Lots of reviews complained that the walk was far from the lifts, but we didn't find it to be that way. We made it at least twice a day, with a baby strapped to our back.

They advertise that they have wireless, but we were only able to get it in the lobby.

We will stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2009

Wife and I spent the weekend at this hotel. We had a corner room with a queen and a 2 person jacuzzi tub. Room was clean and very well maintained. The room had a sofa and was equipped with a flat screen lcd tv over the fireplace. Although this hotel is not on the village stroll, I consider it an advantage because it is quieter. Rooms on the main village walkways are nice but can get a little noisey when the bars close. Even though it is not on the main walkway, it is still very convenient to either the main or north village. If you're skiing, take the bus to either the Whistler/Blackcomb gondola base or to Creekside and save your ankles and feet. The bus stop is less than a block away. The one disappointment was the small kitchen. It has cups and dishes but little in the way of cooking implements. There is underground parking at $15/night.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2009

Having stayed in this hotel last year and writing on tripadvisor that if I was to come back to Whistler this year would stay again. Well we did come back and we did stay at the Pinnacle and it was as good as ever. The exchange rate had dived, the lift passes had risen in price (steeply because of the wonderful peak 2 peak) and the costs of flights had increased so it was really important for us to save money elsewhere. This hotel allows you to do just that. It is no-frills luxury and the ideal place to chill after hitting the slopes. I really can't speak highly enough of this hotel and its staff.

I don't want to repeat the last review but briefly the hotel is close to the lifts, shops and the Apres-ski. There are loads of places to eat and drink and Whistler itself is the best ski resort in the world. I really really want to come back next year but I am expecting prices to be hugely inflated as it will be hosting the ski events in next year's winter Olympics - perhaps the Pinnacle management will let me have a room at 2008 prices for being a loyal and regular guest, please???

The weather on this trip was rubbish compared to the year before, there was an inversion which saw Vancouver drowned in thick fog (literally couldn't see a thing) and Whister village colder than the top of the peaks. There was little snow whilst we were there but Whistler/Blackcomb ensured suitable skiing conditions by grooming and snow machines. It didn't spoil the trip at all but it was damned cold!! The peak 2 peak is a must, we didn't get on the glass bottom capsules but it was amazing nonetheless.

For anybody reading this in Europe who is deciding whether to trade the Alps for Canada you must do it, particularly Whistler (staying at the Pinnacle). The Alps are amazing but Whister is something else and an absolute must, there is something for everyone for all levels of skiing and snowboarding.

Only feedback for the hotel is that every morning when using the toaster it activated the smoke alarm, (about 4 times each day) and we would have to stand under it wafting a table cloth. It was funny but perhaps not for those in adjacent rooms, sorry!

Fantastic hotel, great staff, a must if staying in Whistler and don't want to spend huge amounts on five star hotels you will hardly spend anytime in. Get booking!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
pinwhis, Front Office Manager at Pinnacle Hotel Whistler, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2009

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us last winter and for your positive comments. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your repeated business. Please contact me at the hotel if you would like me to provide a quote for you for next winter. Our prices are in fact the same as 2008 for a large portion of the next winter season.
Kind Regards
Stuart Cook
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 9 July 2009

Located close to Whistler Village - easy walking distance - 5 minutes to centre, 10 to Gondolas.

Bright and cheerful with comfortable good sized rooms with kitchenette, and good shower/bathroom - which doubles as jacuzzi - OK but intrudes a bit into the bedroom. Staff are helpful and pleasant at all times. Wireless internet did not work for us - but there was a another accessible router to pirate!!

We did not use the breakfast or restaurant facilities - Quattro's Italian which is on the premises. Plenty of good dining in Whistler.

Take a trip up the Gondola for great views but if you are visiting in Summer there is not much of interest otherwise - Whistler is geared for winter sports. Come or go on the Whistler Mountaineer train (doesn't run in winter) - but not both - take a Seaplane, bus or drive one way!

Pinnacle is highly recommended for value and quality.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
pinwhis, Front Office Manager at Pinnacle Hotel Whistler, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2009

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on your recent stay with us. I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you to stay with us again at some point in the future.

Regards
Stuart Cook
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 6 July 2009

The rooms at the Pinnacle are a mini home. They have everything you could possibly need - bed, sofa, full kitchen, flat screen tv, dvd player, bathroom with jacuzzi etc. The hotel shows its age but is in ok condition. We had a corner room with two balconies (small size). One of them had views of both the Whistler and Blackcomb mountains. Not much more you can ask for in terms of location. The main village area is just a 5 minutes walk.
The hotel has late check-in (4pm) and early checkout (10am). Please have one or the other. If you have late check in then you should allow late check out.
The parking fees of $15/day is excessive and uncalled for. The bathroom was a little cramped and had enough room for only one person at a time.
Overall it was value for money in terms of amenities and location.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family