“Great Holiday”

Summit Lodge Boutique Hotel
Ranked #3 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We had a great stay at the Summit.

Even though it was a busy holiday week in Whistler, Emma helped us book a room and arrange our stay very quickly, we had lots of questions about lift tickets and Whistler which we were able to chat about ahead of arriving. The front desk staff were friendly, welcoming and helpful. We also received an email before arriving with information about Whistler, weather forecast, things to do etc. which was also great.

The ski service/storage room staff were great, I enjoyed chatting with them and they were always fast to take my skis from me at the end of each day and it was good to know that if I did need my skis servicing that that this could be done at the hotel. Next time I visit I will be sure to use this. The hotel is in a great location in the village and I loved that I could use the free shuttle to the lifts so I didn’t have to walk in my ski boots even though it wasn’t that far.

I really enjoyed my holiday, the hotel is clean and comfortable and the staff friendly and helpful. I will stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ski870
Write a ReviewReviews (1,788)

Reviewed 19 February 2013

Used this hotel with a friend of mine for 10 days as our base for some fantastic Whistler skiing.

First impression of the hotel was not great as we did not get the upgraded room we were promised on booking and the fact the room was supposed to be upgraded (and hence, larger)was the primary reason for our choice of this hotel. So, we ended up in a standard room but once I had contacted the tour company and they had spoken to the GM we got the upgrade after a couple of days and the larger room made for a much better experience. Credit to Tony the GM as he was very apologetic about the mix up and provided us with some great local beer and a couple of breakfasts at the restaurant across the road (which was excellent btw, Crepe Montagne).

We found all staff at the hotel to be very friendly and helpful and we won't forget Mark in a hurry who tirelessly ferried us to and from the slopes for most of our stay, always with a laugh and a smile and some good advice on where to go in Whistler. The guys in the ski locker were great as well and also very friendly and helpful.

The rooms were clean and tidy. We didn't do any cooking but I guess they had everything you'd need if you wanted to cook in the room and there was a decent coffee machine. Good sized bathroom and no issues with hot water. No problems sleeping (apart from the jet lag and a couple of nights with some unruly guests near us who weren't oberving the hotels quiet period rule overnight).

We didn't use the spa or the hot tub during our stay so can't comment on those.

Free hot chocolate and Baileys in reception was a nice bonus on those days when we didn't stay in the slope bars for too long and managed to get back to the hotel in time for it!

Location wise, it's a few minutes by Marks shuttle to the slopes and a few seconds walk to the main street and all the shops, restaurants and bars. It's also just around the corner from a bus stop (which we use to go to Dusty's at the Creekside).

I'll review restaurants separately on TA when I get a chance but I'll just mention that for breakfast, we were more than happy with Elements Urban Tapas (attached to the hotel) and Crepe Montagne (just over the road). Both did really tasty and filling food at reasonable prices.

Would I stay at the Summit again? Yes, definitely.

Room Tip: Try and book an upgraded room (think ours was an "Executive") as it was nice to chill out...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Tony M, General Manager at Summit Lodge Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

killerdwarf,

Thanks for taking the time to post a review! Sorry to hear that your first impressions of the hotel were not great but I was happy to help you and make your stay enjoyable. Once again thank you for the review and I look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 17 February 2013

Brad in the ski shop made key recommendations that helped me change my heli skiing to a better/perfect day.
Mark, the shuttle driver, was there every 8 minutes (max) and air conditioned his van so we didn't overheat.
Restaurants were recommended, skis were demoed, people were genuinely happy to help us.

They were great. I travel a lot and this was a treat!

Room Tip: rooms on poolside are more quiet but none are bad
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

jon s,

Thanks for the review and the awesome feedback. Great to hear that staff members were able to make your stay much better! We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 17 February 2013

My wife and I had a great fortnight skiing in late January and early February 2013. The room was ideal. Comfortable bed, good shower and bath and always with plenty of hot water. There is kitchen in the room which was really useful as we prepare meals when we wanted and not always go out for meals which can add up if you are Whistler for a while. It is right by the biggest supermarket which is really handy.
We found the staff always helpful and smiley and would like to mention Emma who was particularly helpful and Andrea and Peter on reception. They have a really good transport service to the main gondola's which is invaluable after a hard days skiing. Our driver Mark had the amazing trick of always turning up at the right time, thanks Mark!
There is hot tub and pool and sauna which was most welcome and a great place to hang out and chat. Finally there is a good coffee machine in the room which was topped up regularly but an even better free coffee machine in the foyer with all types coffee and on many occasions in the afternoon a member of staff was there to make you coffee even better with a shot of Bailey liqueur.

Room Tip: We stayed 4th floor at the back, room was quiet and service was unobtrusive and efficient.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Spurrdoc
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Nice 1 bedroom suite, unfortunately our room smelled so strongly of some sort of deodorizer it was unbearable. We opened the doors & window & left for a few hours to air it out. When we returned, we realized the deodorizer was sprayed to mask a terrible mold problem in the room, most evident in the bathroom. We brought our newborn baby & our 9 year old with us, so we were truly concerned for their health, but were told there were no other rooms available. There was dust on the lamp fixtures in our bedroom & other fixtures which suggested that perhaps they did not rent out this suite on a regular basis due to the unfortunate mildew problem. The staff was nice, & it was handy to have our skis tuned up on the premises. The coffee machine & free paper was a nice touch.

Room Tip: Suite #301 has a mold problem! If we had been able to stay in a suite that was mold free, we would...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank bbvan
Tony M, General Manager at Summit Lodge Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

bbvan,

Please allow me to apologize to you for your disappointing stay. Please be assured that this is not the general standard of the hotel. Sometimes guests bring boots and skis to their room and this can sometimes leave a damp smell in the room. We do offer guests a secure ski storage and do not allow equipment in the rooms. Regardless, your stay did not run as smoothly as it should have and for this we are sorry.

I would be more than happy to speak with you regarding the issue. Please contact me directly at the hotel on 1888 779 5510. You can also contact me at tony@summitlodge.com.

Regards,

Reviewed 16 February 2013

Just returned from a 10 day stay at the Summit in Whistler Village.
We arrived late at night, and were told that they didnt have the double queen beds that we had specified when booking. They told us that they could change the room after 2 nights, so gave us a queen and queen sofa bed - which was perfectly comfortable. Both rooms were in the front of the hotel, there was a little noise from people coming home when drunk but nothing too bad. Staff friendly and accommodating. Didnt use the free shuttle bus as its only a 10 min walk thru the village to the lifts. The hotel is in the quiet part of town but is only a few mins walk from restaurants and bars. The sauna is good, as are the hot tub and pool although they are small so can get crowded - but great after a day on the slopes. I highly recommend getting your snowboard tuned by Yohan in the ski repair/storage at the front door, my board was better than when I first bought it!!!! They also offer great advice on where to eat and things to do. Free wifi was a good but also had trouble connecting occasionally and it was a bit slow.
I'd give it an extra 1/2 star if the buttons would allow

Room Tip: Try and get a room on a higher floor and at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 February 2013

We had a good stay here. It's not a ski in ski out but with the shuttle van from the front door to the bottom if the ski slopes it almost is. Great touch and he's a real character. It's situated on main street so you are across the street from restaurants and shops and 1 minute walk to the main street through the village with shops running either side.
The rooms were were really good though they were not spotless clean. The kitchenette was just about big enough to do something on, bathroom was nice and the bed was super comfy. The rooms overlooking the back of the property will be a bit dark and the lighting in the room is just not bright enough to light it up. There was free wifi but it was useless.
Hot drinks in the foyer and free equipment storage was good also.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple