“Solid choice”

Ranked #3 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
Brooklyn, NY
“Solid choice”
Reviewed 14 March 2009

I always get nervous when I book a hotel and then see bad reviews. Someone even said, "as much charm as a Best Western," so I was pleasantly surprised when we walked in the lobby and there was a great spa smell and a cozy fire going.

Our room was on the 2nd floor and was an Executive Suite. It was spacious, updated and very clean--and I am very picky about shabby things. I heard from a guest that the 2nd floor is the dog floor--but our room did not smell like dog or look like dog--it has a strong freshener scent when we first arrived but after opening the window for a few hours it was gone. Avoid this floor if you don't like dogs--we did here a few yaps throughout our stay. Our room just faced a bunch of trees--so no view--just the hot tub.

Location is great and there is a grocery store across the street which is convenient and an inexpensive pasta place with great soups for lunch. The shuttle service was great and they were very nice. We traveled with our 5 yr old so being close to the village to walk around was key.

Tips: make restaurant reservations. Also, there an affordable and good sushi place across from the grocery store. The Bavarian restaurant is overpriced. There was a very nice and cheaper spa around the corner and down the street.

The staff was fine and pleasant. They could have been a little more helpful. When I was struggling to open the door to the locker rooms to store my snowboard and skis and had my daughter there--they could have helped--as they clearly saw me. They also weren't really knowledgeable about things to do--when we asked about Tubing they really had no idea.

All in all a very pleasant stay (we also got engaged here--so I have an extra fondness)

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank furrykarma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 31 December 2008

Overall this is a decent place to stay in Whistler. The location is pretty central and there is a shuttle service that drops right near the lifts so for skiing it is very convenient. The shuttle service was really well run too, with a very courteous and friendly driver. We never had to wait more than a few minutes and in fact had a private shuttle that left on our schedule in the mornings!

The rooms are nice, pretty well kept but the one we had was very small. We go to Whistler for the skiing though, not for the hotel room and as such found this place more than adequate and will stay here again considering price, location, and the shuttle service.

• Liked — Shuttle service
  • Disliked — room size
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
Lugano, Switzerland
Reviewed 7 December 2008

I should have known that something was up when it took me 4 separate tries to get through to the hotel... The first time, I tried to book on the website, didn't work. The second time, I called, I was told to "call back when someone would be available to make reservations" (I called at 6pm in the evening). The fourth time through, I was lucky (well, that's debatable)

I picked the Summit over others (Westin, Delta, etc...) because I've stayed at the summit about three times over the past five years and was pleased with my previous stays. In my prior stays, I'd enjoyed the Summit because of it's quiet location and boutique hotel feel. Well, the quiet location still applies, but the place has as much character as a Best Western!

From the poor housekeeping (ratty carpets, piece of gum stuck on the lamp: I'm not kidding, fraying towels) to the non-chalant attitude of the staff, this place does not have a hint of the "boutique hotel" feel that it ever was before.

Unless they upgrade the rooms and get better customer service, I'll be bringing my business elsewhere.

• Liked — quiet location, free internet
  • Disliked — front desk, poor housekeeping, overall room quality
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sunshine_Reggae
Lorraine Y, Manager at Summit Lodge Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 15 September 2014
Thank you Sunshine_Raggae for taking the time to give us feedback.

We're sorry that you found the service dissatisfactory and can understand completely.

Since your review in December 2008, we have had an overhaul in management and some renovations, and a lot of new and different staff. Since then our team have made a lot of changes to our brand, service and design, and hope that if you return you'll find it quite different to your experience.

Lorraine

Manager
Summit Lodge Boutique Hotel
Abbotsford
Reviewed 28 October 2008

Worst hotel we ever stayed at at Whistler. Room with two queen beds and kitchenette very cramped. Stove didn't work and maint staff rude and did not seem to know anything about maintaining a hotel. Room reminded us of an motel eight on the
I-5 in the states except for the view. We have stayed at five different hotels right in the village over the past years for the same money and would not go back here. There isn't even a reason to be in the area where it is unless you are staying there.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank F460
SummitLodgeSpa, Front Office Manager at Summit Lodge Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2011
Hello F460,

I'm terrible sorry to hear that the service you had received at the Summit Lodge was below standard.

We have been under new management since your stay, and have taken lengths to provide the adequate training needed to our staff to ensure that they are as helpful and informed to resolve such issues that may occur in future.

Best wishes,
Northumberland, England
Reviewed 4 September 2008

My wife and 2 kids stayed here for 2 nights - 24th and 25th August 2008.
We arrived having taken in the beautiful drive from Vancouver at 11am - far too early to check in but the lady on the desk offered the underground parking immediately prior to us formally checking in. At $19 per night plus tax, it's reasonably expensive but it is very secure with access only by your room card. We found this excellent. It was also warm down there which will definitely benefit those travellers who stay at the Summit lodge in Winter.
When we did check in, we were told we had been upgraded to a one bedroom suite. The room was excellent with great kitchen facilities and a HUGE bed which was easily the best we slept in whilst on our Rockies tour.
The hotel is centrally located, the front desk staff were good and the room was serviced to a good standard. We'd DEFINITELY stay at the Summit Lodge again - the rooms were competitively priced and great value for money.
Whistler was great - we loved it! We did the Ziptrek on our second day which we had pre-booked on the internet before travelling. This was brilliant and well worth it - would definitely recommend.

• Liked — The Location
  • Disliked — $19 Nightly charge for Parking
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank bedlingtonsharks
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2008

Stayed at Summit Lodge for 1 night nice check in staff and lovely restuarants and people. Brilliant views travelling from Vancouver.

Room came with kitchenette which was good. Nice and clean.

Would stay here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 July 2008

Clean and comfortable, nice appointed rooms, with very friendly staff always happy to answer questions or make recommendations. The location is at the far end of Whistler Village, so you're about a 10-15 minute walk to the lifts, but there's so much happening in the town along the Village Stroll that you'll hardly notice. The only negative: The 4-foot-deep pool is the size of a bathtub. Definitely recommended.

• Liked — The rooms, the staff, the town
  • Disliked — The pool
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends