Marketplace lodge #309 AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE!
Let me start this review with the positives:
1) The building is in a central location
2) The communal spa is nice
Both of these can be accredited to the building, which I would recommend staying in. Unfortunately, we rented what had to be the worst flat in the building in terms of both liveability and customer service received.
This unit was marketed as a two bedroom (1 queen room & a den with bunk beds) two bathroom capable of sleeping 6. The bunk room was clearly a drying room with some bunk beds in it. The bunk beds were old, rickety and by no means safe for adults to sleep on. The room was so small that a suitcase could hardly fit on the ground next to it. In addition to this, the door was transparent offering absolutely no privacy. This room had no air conditioning or windows either.
Throughout the entire unit there was serious damage. The walls were chipped, cracked and stained. The carpet looked as if it had never been cleaned and all the towels/ sheets/ duvets were old and filthily stained.
Unit #309 was also claimed to be ‘recently furnished’ and ‘self contained’. On arrival the kitchen lacked any cooking pots, glasses, baking trays, strainers, breadboards and cleaning materials. The coffee pot and toaster were also broken. The gas fireplace was broken and the ancient vacuum cleaner did more harm than good. We were told that this apartment would be suitable for a three month holiday. When we raised some of these concerns with the landlord, he addressed some of the minor/ less expensive issues such as buying some cooking pots and glasses for the apartment. However, none of the larger issues were addressed. When we raised these issues repetitively he simply ignored us knowing that we had zero leverage as we had paid all of our rent up front., as well as a $1000 bond.
Our greatest concern was the fridge. Every 20 or so odd minutes it would make a loud and annoying humming noise for about 10 minutes. With the kitchen being a part of the living room this noise made it next to impossible to sleep on the foldout sofa, which was difficult enough considering how old and springy it was. We raised this concern immediately on arrival and were told we would have a new fridge on the 19th of December (in over two week’s time). When this fell through we were told it would be on the 4th of January and when that fell through we were told it would be on the 29th of January. Naturally this was not the landlords fault, but the fault of the fridge company. However, he refused to prove it to us or allow us to find a fridge company willing to deliver sooner. So for 2 of our three months in Whistler we had this humming noise in the living room, where two people would have to sleep each night. Which of course we received no discount, compensation or apology for.
The property is also said to have an underground parking space. We repeatedly inquired about this spot and were never given a response.
This apartment has to be one of the worst in Whistler. Nothing has been repaired in years by the looks of things. The photos I have uploaded were all taken on arrival for proof that we didn’t cause the long list of damage in the apartment, but as we suspected from the start our cash bond was gone regardless.
Here is the scam of marketplace #309:
1. Rent it out online, charge the tenants an abnormally high rent and bond upfront so they have no leverage for arguments during their stay
2. Leave the property in the poor state it has been in for most likely years
3. Blame the poor condition on the tenants
4. Keep their bond and don’t use it to fix the property.
5. Find some more unsuspecting victims looking for a nice holiday and repeat steps 1-4
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Affordable and well-appointed, these privately-owned condo units are the perfect choice for the traveler who enjoys comfort and convenience. Centrally-located and with a common area hot tub and easy access to shops and restaurants, Marketplace Lodge is ideal for families and small groups. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Evoline ltd so you can book your Marketplace Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Resortquest Marketplace Hotel Whistler
- Marketplace Lodge Whistler