“Nice but noisy”

Ranked #19 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
Brigton
“Nice but noisy”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

My son and myself has just returned from a skiing trip to Whistler and stayed at the Adara hotle in the village. The hotel itself is very nice having been updated from what looks like an old hostel type building. The room were clean and spacious, the beds comfortable and the rainfall shower was hard to get out of. The hotel staff were all very friendly, and the free coffee and cookies in the afternoon were great.
However, what none of the marketing material tells you is that the hotel sits above a nightclub, so at about 10 on 2 of the four evenings we were there (luckily not a weekend) the drum and bass started and continued to the early hours, rendering sleep impossible (oh for tablet computers and free apps.). The hotel has an 'noise policy' that they point out on check-in, stating that all noise must be kept to a minimum between the hours of 10pm and 7am.......well any of the nights the club was opne this wouldn't need policing as you'd be struggling to be heard above the music from the club.
Whilst this sounds negative, my overall impression is that the Adara is a nice hotel, but it's just in the wrong place unfortunately..

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank FattieF
Robert S, General Manager at Adara Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Many thanks for your review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay. We care very much about the sleep quality of our guests, which is why slumber machines and ear plugs are available in every room.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I had originally bought travelzoo vouchers to stay at this hotel. 2 days before I was supposed to go, I came down with bronchitis. I called the hotel to cancel and let them know, and also let them know that I would like to stay there and use my vouchers - even if I lost the full deal because of the promotional value expiry dates. The manager tried his best to be helpful and accomodate me, which was appreciated. However....

Upon arriving, valet only. Which is a charge. I don't like strangers touching my vehicle. Not happy about seeing them PEEL out of the parking lot in my new vehicle. NOT HAPPY.

Second. It was very very COLD this trip. I could not turn up the heat in my room. At all. The electric fireplace was completely useless. Drafty windows. I slept in my puffy jacket, in my sleeping bag, under the covers, with a hot water bottle - and was STILL COLD. Called the font to complain/ask if it could be fixed. Nothing was ever done. No follow-up either.

Front desk staff, the young guy the night I checked in was very pleasant. Nice to deal with. Seems understaffed there. Checkout was horrible. One luggage cart in the whole bloody place and it had a flat wheel. Beds were AWFUL. Bathrooms looked like they were slapped together quickly - not 100% clean either, and there were fruit-flies coming out of the drain.

Nice touch for the kitchenette, however, if you are putting in burners you need ventilation. Come on, it's pretty simple.

Asked for a very quiet room as I had read reviews about the thumping night-club below the hotel (oh, and was it ever thumping). They put me in a room right next to the elevator - and its doors squeaked every time they opened or closed.

Overall, I barely slept, was freezing cold, and was sooo uncomfortable on the terrible beds.

I WILL NEVER GO BACK.

Room Tip: Big rooms, poorly designed. Stay away from the elevator and nightclub. And the terrible beds. Oh...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank JenYYC09
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, all reviews are important to us. It is regrettable that you did not enjoy your stay. For guests who do not wish to have their car valeted there are public parking lots in Whistler although it would be difficult for our valet to PEEL the 20 meters from the hotel entrance to the garage. I think that most people are sensitive about new cars. The regular guest who stayed in that room after you left loves the suite so I am surprised about your comments regarding the suite.
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Good value, Beautiful Loft suites!! Location is same building as Buffalo Bills. Fresh backed cookies and coffee in the morning. Staff is very friendly and helpful. All round a wonderful weekend!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Loft suite!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
It is so nice that you had a wonderful weekend with us in Whistler. Your review is greatly appreciated. Be sure to call us directly when you wish to return and ask for the 'returning guest rate'. Thanks again
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Overall quite pleased. The Adara offers the advantages of a small hotel (everything close by, rooms not a mile from the reception desk, more personal service) that make up for the disadvantages (no hotel restaurant, no spa, no swimming pool, etc). The rooms were nicely furnished. I liked the walk-in shower (i.e., not a bathtub/shower combo). There was plenty of space. Ample closet/storage space.
Convenient location - <10 minute walk to the Whistler gondola and easy access to lots of restaurants and bars. I'd read other reviews complaining about noise from the bar below - it didn't bother us and we didn't need to avail ourselves of the complimentary earplugs or white-noise machine. The outdoor hot-tub/jacuzzi was adequate - room for 4 strangers or 6 close friends. Lobby offers warm breakfast bars, coffee, and cider in the morning and warm cookies in the afternoon - nice touch. Charge for overnight parking was about half what the big hotels charge.
I thought it odd that they pre-authorize $50/night for "incidentals" when there is no room service, no minibar ... no conceivable way to rack up that much in charges. I guess it's to cover any damages?

Room Tip: We had a room on the front-side of the hotel - which overlooks a small cul-de-sac surrounded by othe...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
thank you very much for the great review. You have made a point that is often overlooked, our parking is half the price of the big hotels. Some guests park their cars with us and the pre-authorization can be used for that but you are correct, it is mostly in case of damages. We hope you will come back soon and follow us on Facebook.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stayed at the Adara overnight on a recent trip to Whistler. Their location is AWESOME. I like how they are not right in the village, but not detached from the village. Everyone was very hospitable. We were in a Deluxe Room with 2 Queen Beds on the 2nd Floor. Everything was clean and the room was comfortably furnished. Large windows with lots of natural light. Cool electric fireplace which kept the room really cozy. The bathroom was the BEST surprise. Nice amenities and finishes. I really enjoyed the extra touches like scent sticks and the rainwater shower head. Parking was easy and the best part, once you check-in you will NOT need your car again because you are just steps to the village. I won't lie the hotel was a little on the noisy side and you can hear a lot from other rooms. Earplugs and even a sound machine were in the room, but I didn't use either and slept fine. I would recommend requesting a 3rd floor room on the corner. Keep up the great work Team Adara and I'll see you again... hopefully SOONER than later.

Room Tip: Would recommend the 3rd floor / corner room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank rcseattle
thank you for the wonderful review. Our location is perfect, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. It will be great to see you again, hopefully sooner than later. Team Adara
Fort Nelson
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed at the Adara hotel, conveniently located on top of one night club and across the road from another. I should have known by the complimentary earplugs on the nightstand next to the fancy sound machine that something was amiss. This was confirmed from 10:30 pm through to about 3am from the sound of bass, loud music, people shouting and swearing, hollering, outside the bar etc. The staff were unhelpful and when we complained about the noise, they told us to use the earplugs.

do not stay here if you want to sleep - unless you want a nightmare.

Room Tip: Dont stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lesliesouthern
Thank you for your review, all reviews are important to us. It is a shame that the lively Whistler night life kept you awake. We provide ear plugs and slumber machines in all rooms because we care about our guests sleep quality. Light sleepers should ask for a room on the Village Green side of the building and the loft suites on the 3rd floor are generally more restful
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Located in the heart of Whistler Village and a short walk to the Whistler Gondola I could not recommend the Adara hotel more highly! I travel to Whistler frequently from Vancouver and have tried lots of hotels but this one tops them in terms is service and value for money! The staff are superb and could not be more helpful! The rooms are very quiet despite being in the centre of the village! Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed January 2014
Many thanks for the great review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. Be sure to call direct the next time you want to visit and ask for our 'returning guest rate'. See you soon.