“Sweet Dreams and Open Space”

Hilton Whistler Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We stayed 4 nights and 5 days at the Hilton Resort and Spa in Whistler, BC recently and had a very pleasant stay in a nice room with plenty of space and a remarkably comfortable bed. The firmness of the bed was of critical concern because of recent back strain. The hotel had offered to place a back board in the room if I found I needed more support upon arrival, but the bed was perfect, and we both rested quite comfortably all week. I later learned there is a website for the Hilton bedding at Hilton to Home:
http://www.hiltontohome.com/ We may purchase the mattress topper for our bed at home!

Hotel staff were accommodating and attentive. Bell Services had our vehicle parked in front and ready for us whenever we advised we were planning to leave, and the concierge was knowledgeable about a day trip we wanted to make, giving us good advice. Our stay was quiet and pleasant, housekeeping was available but non-intrusive, and room service attempted to resolve a problem we expressed with the meal from the restaurant. The food just did not meet our standards for a fine dining establishment, lacking significantly in flavor. Unfortunately, even the manager's effort to resolve our complaint by sending up a different dish left us less than happy with the food preparation/meal so we chose to never eat at the hotel restaurant again during our stay. There are many other choices for good food in Whistler so there was no problem locating delicious food, however the inconvenience of having to dress and go out for breakfast was more than mildly disappointing. Each room has a kitchenette, but we particularly enjoy breakfast delivered via room service when we travel and had no intentions of preparing food during our stay. This was our only true complaint and would be the only reason we would not return to this hotel when visiting Whistler again. The pool was under renovation so we had no experience there. We were told about this prior to booking our stay.

The lobby seating area is quite small, 4 chairs arranged around a fireplace with a nice coffee table in the center.The seats of the chairs are very deep, however, so that I was unable to sit with my back resting against the chair back for support unless i wanted my legs to stretch straight out in front of me like a child's might. The depth of the chair seat would have prevented my knees from being able to bend if I sat fully back so I chose to sit up toward the front of the chair with no support for my back! I am 5 feet 3 inches tall; this sort of chair depth was a bit absurd. I have never encountered that kind of issue in any other establishment.

The bar is a busy gathering place where we hoped to get a nightcap but were unable to find seating due to crowd size. (Probably a good sign!) Local laws prohibit alcohol leaving the bar area itself, so we could not order a drink and sit in the lobby to drink it. That left the only option of standing inside the bar if we wanted to be served. We chose to forego having cocktails.

The bathroom was small but adequate. A 2nd sink is located in the entrance area to the bathroom where the unenclosed closet is. The room was clean, but it appeared the room had been recently painted and paint splattered onto the drapery sheers at the balcony door entrance. I thought it was blood, but my husband felt sure it was simply a splatter of paint. The only other cleanliness issue was spots/smudges of some kind on the glass of the framed art in the bathroom.

For food and beverage purposes we will try to locate a different hotel when we return to Whistler, but I must say this is a fine hotel with one of the most comfortable beds I have slept on while traveling.The excellent customer service by all was greatly appreciated. I would have given this hotel a higher rating if we had found the food tasty and had not been inconvenienced by having to leave for a good breakfast elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,005)

Reviewed 3 July 2012

I only stayed 1 night at this property, and it was a small but functional room. The room was on the main floor, which at first made me concerned. However, there was a lovely patio and gates around it which made me feel more at ease/less susceptible to an intruder. The queen room had a kitchenette which was extraordinarily well equipped for such a small space. The only design flaw is that the dishwasher cannot be completely opened because of the night table. I pushed the night table as far into the bed as possible, but still could not open the dishwasher the whole way.

The hotel itself was very busy that weekend, but we experienced/heard no noise or interruptions. The pool was undergoing renovation at the time, but we were told about that before we booked.

The only downside of the hotel was the professional yet cold service. The front desk staff did their jobs adequately and efficiently, but there was no warmth or friendliness. Also, the parking seemed to be very steep at $29/night for self-parking. This is at the upper end of what hotels in Whistler typically charge, which is in the $15-34 range (no valet). See if you can find a coupon online for parking when you book, or perhaps investigate one of the day parking lots for skiiers if you visit in the summer time.

I would definitely stay here again, in a larger suite next time.

Reviewed 27 June 2012

Amazing location!!!! If you are here to ski you can't beat it! The hotel staff are very friendly, very helpful as well. The concierge set up our dinner plans every night and we were NOT dissapointed by any of his choices. As far as skiing goes, you can't get much closer to the lifts! So easy, very walkable to the rest of the village, and a nice suite with kitchenette and very large bathroom. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Dear PShermanATL,

I appreciate you taking time to share insight from your visit earlier this year. It’s so nice to hear from excited visitors like yourself.

If you have the opportunity, you may find a summer visit will make you a year round fan of Whistler and the Hilton.

Reviewed 23 June 2012

This is an excellent hotel with excellent friendly staff. Our room was spotlessly clean, spacious, well equipped with a balcony. Only slight grumble is at breakfast we were mistaken for members of a tour party and shown to a table already occupied by members of that party despite there being empty tables at the entrance to the dining room. When the staff realized the mistake they were very apologetic but we had already started our breakfast by this time.

Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Dear ordk,

Thank you for the positive comments regarding the hotel and our team members. We try to ensure all our guests feel the friendly warmth from our colleagues.

I wish to apologize for the mix up you experienced during your breakfast in our dining room. I will be sure to share this with our team to ensure we avoid any recurrences of this nature.

Hoping we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 21 June 2012

Overall, this hotel was okay... Probably not the 4/5 star it claims to be. It was overpriced and you have to pay for absolutely everything. Also, was fairly disappointed to find out our kitchenette had no oven...

Great location as it was right in the village.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 June 2012

We stayed at this resort in the winter for one week. The hotel was very neat and the staff was friendly. The hotel is right on the slopes of the mountain so this is a perfect place to stay and ski/snowboard.
The only thing I noticed that the overall quality of the hotel and the hotel's amenities was somehow inferior to the usual Hilton feeling you get in bigger metropolitan cities.
Over, I recommend this place.

Room Tip: Get the room with a view on the montain
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vincent C
Reviewed 14 June 2012

We flew from NJ and rented a car from YVR airport.
The drive to Whistler was 2 hours and easy drive.
We stayed at Hilton, where the staff members were very nice and proffesional.
Our pre-request of plastic chair in the shower and room near the elevator were
both met. Room was spacious, very clean and comfortable and quiet as it was
not in the center of attraction, yet everywhere was walking distance.
We will stay there again next time.

Review collected in partnership with Whistler Blackcomb.com
1  Thank ETC363
tlefkovi, Manager at Hilton Whistler Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

Dear ETC363,

Were delighted you were able to escape the warm humid weather of the east coast to sample some of our crisp mountain air. Whistler is equally a great summer destination as it is in the winter.

I’m very happy to hear that you will stay with us upon your next visit to Whistler. Thank you for taking time to provide us with your review.