“brand new, clean - great stay”
Review of HI-Whistler

HI-Whistler
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This newly build hostel is definitely the most classy one I've seen. The decor is modernistic, everything is kept very clean. There is an elevator in case you have heavy luggage, the private rooms have a flatscreen tv and towels (big and small) and shampoo+soap just like in a regular hotel. The lounge serves breakfast and dinner which was delicious but not cheap (we paid $22 for a wrap and a BLT and 2 pops). Maybe not the best choice if you travel without a car because the hostel is located about 7km out of town, even though I was told the is a bus that runs between the two. There was also a small store across the street that sells food that may come in handy.

Room Tip: We had a room on the corner of the building which provided an amazing, almost 180 degree view of the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 September 2013

For a hostel this is in very good condition and rated against other hostels would normally score highly. However, on the basis that it isnt at what I would consider a reasonal hostel price and the 15 minute drive to Whistler means overall I wouldnt stay here again.

The rooms are nice and clean and there is a nice cafe for breakfast in the morning.

Bizarrely our towels were taken from our room after the first night. These werent replaced and nor were we informed on check in that they would be taken and we would need to get new towels after the first night which was odd. Not sure they really need to be washed after one use!

There is limited parking and on our second night there was no parking available and so we had to park down the road.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2013

This hostel was the first hostel experience I had and enjoyed it. This place was clean, comfortable beds, good facilities and I got good nights sleep. The only bad points were that it was out of town however quick/ cheap bus ride in. And can I PLEASE suggest if someone is staying solo and for two weeks and book far in advance do not make them change rooms to accommodate another booking. I had to pack up my stuff 3 times in two weeks and move rooms. Completely unexceptable.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Elisa G
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

It's not in the whistler town centre but that's a good thing because you get some peace and quiet and the bus is really handy. A cool place to stay to see the area.

Rooms are clean and well equipped. Friendly little cafe downstairs too.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank MTBDunc
Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

We found everyone at reception really helpful & friendly and ended up booking a 4 activity pack from TAG Whistler from the reception desk.
The walk to Creekside via the valley trail was nice, and didn't take too long even via the bush track rather than the paved walking/bicycle path!
The room we originally got put in hadn't been cleaned the best, but was able to swap rooms without hassle & the new room was much better!
We didn't have a car (caught the Greyhound from VanCity) so we had to get around by walking & buses which came frequent enough but would have been easier getting around everywhere with our own car.
Our stay in Whistler was awesome and hopefully we'll be back before the end of the ski season to see the mountains in all of their winter glory!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank worldwide_wandererz
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Don't be put off by the distance to the gondola. The bus is easy and stops right outside. The rooms were very warm and cosy. The common areas were kept clean and were super comfortable. I met some great people and had a wonderful time. The staff were also wonderful, especially when I got left behind by my shuttle to Vancouver and they figured out a way for me to catch a bus to the village and get a Greyhound bus to Vancouver. They even called the shuttle company and organised my refund, which they didn't have to do. Over and above!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This was one of the best hostels I stayed at during my trip around the west of Canada.

The hostel is clean, the rooms are great (4 bed dorm with private bathroom) with plenty of space, big kitchen area, large common room area and a bar/kitchen downstairs. The staff were very nice. All was good. There are hikes and walks you can do in the surrounding area. A cool thing about the hostel is it was used as part of the athletes village for the 2010 winter olympics (I think it is cool anyway). I found the hostel to be very sociable and spoke to lots of different people and had a great time.

The only reason I haven't given this 5 stars is because you have to get a bus into the village from the hostel which takes about 15 minutes. It's not a big thing and it only costs $2.50 each way but it's not perfect. You can walk to the town but its about 6km. However, apart from the bus bit I would definitely recommend staying at this hostel during your stay in Whistler, unless you want to splash out on one of the lodges. As a backpacker though that is a bit pricey.

Room Tip: Make sure you have change available to use the bus as they don't give change.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo