“Disappointed”

Ranked #22 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
A TripAdvisor Member
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

Whistler is a wonderful place to visit. The list of summer activities is endless and the resort staff is wonderful at all of the venues.

Our Whistler experience was somewhat diminished due to our lodging challenges. The initial room that we were provided was close to the front doors and exceedingly noisy. The excessive noise started around 5:00 AM and often continued until 10:00 PM. On our second night a loud party took place and it was evident that there wasn’t any management intervention.

We then requested another room that would hopefully provide a more peaceful environment. After paying a cleaning fee that was equivalent to the charge for a one night stay we were provided with a very well situated room. There was very minimal noise and we enjoyed the scenery. Unfortunately, the carpet in the room had needed replacing for the last five years and “minimally” a good cleaning within the last year. I wondered if the floor on the balcony had been cleaned within the last few years. As we had already prepaid for our room we decided to stay in the quieter room.

Obviously, we were very disappointed with the lodging as provided by The Aspens. On the plus side the property is very well situated. Further, the front line staff tried their best to accommodate our requirements. It was obvious that the facility management required the front line staff to follow the rules without exception. The facility management was only concerned with their short term bottom line. The Whistler resort management appears to be very concerned in providing their quests with a wonderful experience. The challenged attitude of Aspen management appears to be in conflict with Whistler’s customer service focused management.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
RQWManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Aspens on Blackcomb, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Thank you for your review.
I would really appreciate for you to email me with regards to this review and we can try and get to the bottom of your concerns.
Within. The email please can you provide me your room numbers so I can investigate further.
Regards
Emma Fukushima
esanderson@resortquestwhistler.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

General property review

Aspens # 356 is not managed by ResortQuest Whistler but through Whistler Premiere. Check in was at the Blackcomb Lodge where we received our room info with wifi password and door lock combination.

Parking is underground for $16 a day, you need to pay at the machine in the Lobby first as the code to get into the parkade is printed on your ticket. Make sure you park by the elevator that has luggage carts, you will need it. The hallways are long and the elevators far apart so you might have a bit of a trek from the parkade depending where your room is.

The walls and ceiling are thin. I'm pretty sure there was youth ski camps here as there were always groups of loud young teens with no apparent parents. We had to call Whistler Premiere at 2:30 am to complain about blaring music above us. The Aspens front desk did take care of it quickly however the kids should be better supervised.

You need a FOB from the front desk to access the pools and the gate that goes out slope side. The pool area and 3 hot tubs are nice. The hot tub area is practically slope side. There really are no extra amenities here so bring what you need ie. laundry soap, coffee ect.

The location is great, we walked down to the village everyday. It was only a 5 min walk from the upper village to our room.

Room review the good

The room has been updated and looks great. Room # 365 is a corner unit with a slope view from the balcony and a pool view from the bedroom.
Free local calls, with a phone number for your room.
Free Wifi
Dishwasher
Microwave
Full bathroom with little clothes line in the shower
Chairs on the deck
Sofa bed
Clean

The Bad
The king bed in the bedroom was awful. It was actually 2 twin mattresses on a king bed frame. It was so uncomfortable with very ill fitting sheets. The sofa bed in the living room was more comfy than the bed. I would have rated our stay higher if I had slept better.

No AC, but with the deck facing the slope we did get great airflow (there were 3 fans in closet)

Bottom line, I love the property and location of the suite but would not stay in room 356 again until the bed is replaced.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank TiffanyeShanks
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

We recently stayed at the Aspens at Whister. This was not our first stay here but it had been a couple of years. I have to stay that this stay was by far the worst.
We were lucky enough to be able to check in early around 1:30 which was wonderful as it had just stared to pour with rain. We had things planned so we just dumped our luggage in our room and headed straight out the door again without really looking around.
When we returned later at around 6pm I had a look around and found that there was no tv in the bedroom which is something that I was told that would be included when I booked the deluxe room. I went down to the front desk and had to wait for about 10 minutes before anyone at the front desk came out to the front to speak to me and was told that because I had been there for more than 2 hours (even though we had not touched anything we would be charged an $80 cleaning fee to move rooms. I asked the girl if she could come and see that we had not toched anything and she would not budge on this. I was of course very upset and disappointed that they could not or would not extend this courtesy. In most hotels that I have stayed in if there is a problem with the room I get moved with no issues and certainly do not get charged for it.
Despite all of this, my son was having such a nice time that he wanted to stay another day so I went to find out if I could extend another day and while this time the front desk clerk was much nicer about everything I was not happy that they would not honour the third night free promotion that I originally booked at.
Definitely not happy with the customer service that I received on this trip or the room quality. I would definitely have to think long and hard about booking at this resort again.

1 Thank elledub
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

My only complaint was the lack of AC in the rooms. I would imagine it normally cools off significantly at night; but it really didn't when we were there. The lack of air conditioning made it a bit difficult to sleep well.

Overall that is a very minor complaint. The room was clean and comfortable. The common areas were inviting. The pool and hot tubs were great. The short stroll down to the Blackcomb base was nice both before and after meals/drinks.

Review collected in partnership with Whistler Blackcomb.com

Thank you so much for this review, we are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I will be passing this on to our management team to share with our staff.

We hope you return again soon
Warmest regards
Emma Fukushima
White Rock, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

I recently booked a room at The Aspens for a trip with my 2 teenage kids. The location is great (we always book in upper village) and would be fantastic during ski/snowboard season. First let me mention that I booked through Whistler Premier and not ResortQuest and this is where the "disjoint" started - our unit is privately owned so we don't get the same amenities/services at the resort ....no daily room cleaning etc. I think the front desk at Whistler Premier has to do a better job at explaining everything ...no in suite laundry (ugh!), have to take your own garbage out, have to leave a deposit to get the key to the pool, have to buy parking tickets and get code to get in and out of garage.....all of this is very important info that was missed and required me having to use the ResortQuest front desk (they were wonderful and helpful).to understand what to do....Whistler Premier staff is lovely too but need to get this info posted in the room! I would have rated this better HOWEVER the room was facing North and had sun all day....NO A/C made it unbearable!! one tiny fan for the whole unit - seriously?? I had to go back to the Whistler Premier office (yes this is a drive from this location) and ask for another fan so we could sleep - didn't help! Also the rooms are quite outdated - I think most of the furniture is original (forest green colour pine gives that away).... the pool is lovely as is the hot tub area (Parents - please control your kids! we are not here to have kids running around with you no where in site) ....maybe we will try again in winter? not sure at this point?

Room Tip: if you stay here in the summer get a room facing South as there is no AC
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

We were here June 2013 for a race event and stayed in a two bedroom suite with two other people. The hotel could use a bit of updating - maybe a fresh coat of paint, but the room was comfortable and clean. One thing to note - they did not have an ice machine so we had to go to the closest liquor store which also didn't sell bags of ice - they just let you fill up a plastic grocery bag...kind of weird. We didn't use the pool or hot tub because it was always packed but it looked nice. Their gym really shouldn't be called a gym...just a room with an elliptical machine. The location was great though - close to lots of trails and walking distance to Whistler Village.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write This review, we appreciate your feedback.
We are sorry to hear that you had trouble finding ice, we do provide ice cube trays in all freezers of our kitchens, and wonder if you didn't have one what unit you stayed in, that way we can ensure one is put in the unit.
With regards to the size of the gym, I will pass that on to the strata to inform the owners.
Again we thank you for your review and he to see you back again.
Regards