“does what it says on the tin”
Review of Blackcomb Lodge

Blackcomb Lodge
Ranked #21 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
Reviewed 10 February 2009

was a bit a worried after some of the dodgier reviews but I thought it exceeded expectations for the price. Great location for both the village and 5 minutes walk from the main lifts. having spent time in flashier accomodation on the perminter bus route I much prefer the convenience of the Blackcomb. was able to get first lifts most days which was the main point of the holiday.

we had a room overlooking the main drag and didn't find the noise intrusive at all, however the thin walls meant that the frat house who spent a couple of days next door to us where a bit annoying (why don't young american men speak at a level lower than 11??)

We had 4 adults in our room and whilst it wasn't overly spacious it was fine. bathroom clean and maintained daily, fridge/freezer large stove sofa. ski storage was great, just handed them over at the end of the day, pool and jauzzi both clean and up to standard.

all in all a great place if what you want is a central place where you can ski all day, comer back change and go out.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 January 2009

I stayed 3 nights in a studio by myself for the sole purpose of skiing. With this in mind, Blackcomb Lodge was pretty good.

Pros:

1. Outstanding location. It's in the heart of the village. Drugstore is practically in the same building. Groceries and liquor are just across the square outside the front door. Surrounded by restaurants and shops. 5 minute walk to the lifts.

2. Kitchen had everything I needed: refrigerator, microwave, stove, toaster, coffee maker, dishwasher & detergent, plates, bowls, cutting board, colander, cutlery, coffee cups, beer glasses, wine glasses, etc.

Cons:

1. Very noisy. Shouting from outside. Pounding from the room above me. Talking from the hallway. Wow this place is loud. However I was able to drown this out completely by running the room fan on high. If you don't mind white noise then you're ok but if you need it dead quiet then do not stay here.

2. You have to store your skis in the shop adjacent to the lobby. This is not inconvenient, but there's no security to speak of. I was able to walk up and grab my skis off the rack every morning no questions asked. It seemed to me that anyone intent on stealing them could have taken whatever they wanted.

Summary: I recommend staying here if you like to party or just want a conveniently located room and don't mind noise. This is not a charming, romantic, or classy hotel. It's clean and functional lodge for skiiers/riders. If you need 5-star pampering or are bringing the family for a vacation that's just as much about the hotel as the mountain then look elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 December 2008

After receiving a quote from whistler.com I proceeded to book. I gave my credit card number, as anyone would. Later when I needed to cancel the booking, before the reservation, I was told that cancellation was impossible and there were no refunds allowed. Funny that it never did appear on my quote and that I was never told about it.

So, I went to check my credit card statement online before the reservation date and the full amount plus taxes had been billed. Even worse, it had been billed by the hotel, even though I had given Whistler.com my credit card number, not the hotel. They even gave the blackcomb lodge my security code on the back.

After tons of telephone calls, and being referred to one person and the next, I decided to call my credit card company who was not happy about this. They launched an investigation.

When I called the hotel to tell them about this they decided to cancel my reservation without a refund and without asking me and said that I was the one who wanted it canceled and that they could not maintain my booking as there was a lack of good faith! All this time they have payment in full...

Needless to say, I called my lawyer and he is having a good laugh. I'm looking forward to getting my money back. Sounds like a horrible place. I'll never use either the Blackcomb Lodge or whistler.com. Watch out and protect your Credit Card!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank robhines
whistlerdotcomcindy, Booking Agency for Blackcomb Lodge at Blackcomb Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2009

We at whistler.com are pleased to respond to Mr. Hines. Whistler.com is the official website for Whistler Resort and we handle reservation requests for all hotels. Having all the various types of lodging listed in one central location makes it easy for our customers to compare options and costs easily. The Blackcomb Lodge is one of the properties that we represent and it offers a fantastic location directly inside the village and very close to the ski slopes which makes it popular with families.

Customers are able to book the Blackcomb Lodge as well as all of our properties either online or with our world-wide toll free number. If you select to book online, as part of the check out process you are shown all of the hotel policies including their policy for payments and refunds. These is done the same most online shopping with the customer having to read and agree to the policies before being able to continue and complete a booking. After you finish your booking, you are immediately sent an email that reiterates the same policies and payment schedules.

It would appear that Mr. Hines did not understand that he clicked on ‘Accept’ the policy button online and waited to receive his credit card statement before he realized that some form of pre-payment was going to be taken. Because of his lack of understanding, the Blackcomb Lodge has graciously agreed to waive their usual policy and have refunded Mr. Hines completely.

It’s a shame he will not be visiting Whistler this year, we’re having a fantastic ski season with some of the best pricing we’ve seen in years. If he should change his mind, we’ll be happy to assist him with his vacation booking. Call 1.800.WHISTLER.

Reviewed 23 September 2008

Location was the key and the indoor pool and sauna were a bonus. Mandatory ski check caused one set to be misplaced resulting in a half day of missed skiing. One children's rental skis were taken by another kid and despite assurances by staff, resulted in a additional billing.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank mblar
Reviewed 6 June 2008

As others have mentioned the location was great. The balcony overlooking the street was great! But I made the mistake of assuming that since it had four beds and a suite it would have TWO bathrooms. It didn't ..BIG PAIN. The upstairs room was small but that wasnt the problem it was the beds. I don't think i have had a more uncomfortable bed. By far the worst of all the places i have stayed in Whistler. Even the pillows were a bad joke. The freezer in the little refrig was completely froze over with ICE. We finally got some of it melted to get some ice trays out of it (we like ice tea a lot we are TEXANS for crying out loud!).

The folks at the desk were cool.

Overall, had the beds been better I would have not really had a major gripe. But the beds really sucked ...all four of us felt the same way.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 March 2008

The Hotel is located perfectly!! It is in the Village and you walk out the front door and there is a grocery store, pharmacy, liquor store, the gondolas to both mountains and all the restaurants and shopping you could ever want. The hotel was nice. Our room was dirty!! We had a Studio with the Loft and a Studio. In the Studio with a Loft there was mold growing on the wall and ceiling around the kitchen area, the corners of the bathroom were caked with dirt, dust and hair. The bed cover on one of the beds appeared to have an old blood stain. In the Studio there was hair in the shower (on the walls and in the tub).

We paid approximatley $400.00 per night for the Studio with the Loft and $370.00 per night for the Studio and for that price I want a clean room!!

The pool is small and cold. The hot tub was nice. Parking was good but a little expensive. The front desk people were less then helpful and they could do with some cheering up!!

I do have to say that the Snowboarding was AWSOME and I would make the trip again......I just won't be staying at Blackcomb Lodge!!

• Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed 17 March 2008

We stayed at this hotel for our first family ski holiday. Myself and husband and twin boy's 4 1/2. We had read the reviews and went with an open mind. First impressions of the hotel were great, the front desk staff were polite and helpful when we checked in and found we needed more pillows. The hotel was great the only thing that let it down was the house keeping and having young children, i found that i was doing all of the cleaning myself. The bed wasn't changed and towels were left on the side if i put dirty ones in the bath which was farenough. The room floor was swept by myself and the whole upkeep of the room was looked after by me. So as you have guessed we didn't leave a tip over all this hotel was fine and i would go back there. The pool and hot tub were great and clean with towels to use after. The noise levels are high but you are in the centre of the villiage and if you have skied all day the noise wouldn't bother you that much because you should be tired anyway.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family