“Way too noisy!!!”
Review of Blackcomb Lodge

Blackcomb Lodge
Ranked #21 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
Reviewed 23 August 2009

Good location, clean enough rooms, air conditioner worked but shut off after 5 minutes.
Had to keep getting up during the night to turn it back on. We were in room 132 and it was so excessively noisy till 4am!!!!! Doors slamming in the hallways and loud drunks, right out front of our balcony there was yelling going on all night, there's a bar at the end of the lodge so all the loudmouths came out of there!!! Our bathroom sink was clogged so it took forever for the toothpaste spit to drain, YUCK!!! Went to La Brasserie for breakfast, it took twenty minutes for the waitress to clear off the table and take the order, food was not very good. Was really disappoint in Ric`s Mix Grill (fancy restaurant downstairs) My steak mooed, I asked for it medium, the twice baked potatoe had raw bacon in it, and the ``oscar`` part of it consisted of two scallops, two shrimps and cold bernaise sauce, sent that back for heating twice, the waitress proceeded to tell me the cook said bernaise sauce is supposed to be served chilled!!!! Yeah right, in Alaska maybe!! Anyways, the service in Whistler better improve before the 2010 Olympics or it`s going to reflect very badly on the resort and hopefully not on our province in general.....

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 15 March 2009

We stayed at Blackcomb for a few nights as part of a package deal.
Pros
Beds were comfy
Great central location
Clean and tidy

Cons
The room stated it could sleep six but we were quite cramped with four adults and wondered where we could have put the coffee table if we had needed to use the sofa bed.
It was VERY VERY noisy. Im a very deep sleeper(i work shift work and can sleep through anything) and even i was waking up several times during the night with people coming in late at night and then getting up very early for skiing. The noise reminded me a bit of staying in a backpackers. It felt like there was never quiet. We had read previous reviews and requested a quiet back unit so i imagine the front units would be even noisier with the tractors coming to clear the snow in the mornings.
Skiis and snowboards had to be kept in racks at reception, its fair enough but it didnt seem like they took very good care of them.
The unit was FREEEEZING when we arrived. There was no central heating just a blow heater which we left running most of the time we were there.

Overall the location was excellent, being right in the centre of the village and it was clean and tidy however i probably wouldnt stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rach015
Reviewed 17 February 2009

Granted it was a last minute trip, we heard the Blackcomb lodge was functional, close to slopes and nice. First of all, the hotel is basically next to and above the gigantic stage where bands perform. It's also where the media is situated for the Olympics in 2010. Secondly, the hotel is NOT as close to the slopes as reviewers keep writing. I would have spent the money and gone to Four Seasons or Pan Pacific if their policy allowed refunds. Here's a breakdown of the pro's and con's as we experienced.

PROS
1. It is in the village. If you're a 20-something year old wanting to party and drink all night this is the perfect spot.
2. If you like to annoy other guests in the hotel with your rowdy, racist and drunk behavior - this is a great hotel because you will find others just like yourselves.

CONS
1. The hotel LOCKS your skis/snowboards up in the ski rental shop next door that doesn't open until 8am. This means if you were like us that had a early morning flight or heli-skiing trip planned, you are SCREWED. We complained - the staff looked at us and said there's no need for us to be angry in such a manner.
2. The staff are miserable and NOT helpful.
3. The staff lie. They said early check in was possible. When we got there, they said it was a mistake.
4. The staff upon checking in said "no your room is not next to the music stage but your room has its own set of issues."
5. Housekeeping came at 6:30PM when my husband and I were resting and watching TV.
6. Pillows were awful and there were 3 tiny pillows to a king sized bed.

Conclusion: If Whistler is a once in a lifetime trip for you, save your vacation, spend the money and stay in a four star hotel where this kind of behavior is unacceptable, and staff will get fired for being monumentally rude.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nycues33
Reviewed 10 February 2009

was a bit a worried after some of the dodgier reviews but I thought it exceeded expectations for the price. Great location for both the village and 5 minutes walk from the main lifts. having spent time in flashier accomodation on the perminter bus route I much prefer the convenience of the Blackcomb. was able to get first lifts most days which was the main point of the holiday.

we had a room overlooking the main drag and didn't find the noise intrusive at all, however the thin walls meant that the frat house who spent a couple of days next door to us where a bit annoying (why don't young american men speak at a level lower than 11??)

We had 4 adults in our room and whilst it wasn't overly spacious it was fine. bathroom clean and maintained daily, fridge/freezer large stove sofa. ski storage was great, just handed them over at the end of the day, pool and jauzzi both clean and up to standard.

all in all a great place if what you want is a central place where you can ski all day, comer back change and go out.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 January 2009

I stayed 3 nights in a studio by myself for the sole purpose of skiing. With this in mind, Blackcomb Lodge was pretty good.

Pros:

1. Outstanding location. It's in the heart of the village. Drugstore is practically in the same building. Groceries and liquor are just across the square outside the front door. Surrounded by restaurants and shops. 5 minute walk to the lifts.

2. Kitchen had everything I needed: refrigerator, microwave, stove, toaster, coffee maker, dishwasher & detergent, plates, bowls, cutting board, colander, cutlery, coffee cups, beer glasses, wine glasses, etc.

Cons:

1. Very noisy. Shouting from outside. Pounding from the room above me. Talking from the hallway. Wow this place is loud. However I was able to drown this out completely by running the room fan on high. If you don't mind white noise then you're ok but if you need it dead quiet then do not stay here.

2. You have to store your skis in the shop adjacent to the lobby. This is not inconvenient, but there's no security to speak of. I was able to walk up and grab my skis off the rack every morning no questions asked. It seemed to me that anyone intent on stealing them could have taken whatever they wanted.

Summary: I recommend staying here if you like to party or just want a conveniently located room and don't mind noise. This is not a charming, romantic, or classy hotel. It's clean and functional lodge for skiiers/riders. If you need 5-star pampering or are bringing the family for a vacation that's just as much about the hotel as the mountain then look elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 December 2008

After receiving a quote from whistler.com I proceeded to book. I gave my credit card number, as anyone would. Later when I needed to cancel the booking, before the reservation, I was told that cancellation was impossible and there were no refunds allowed. Funny that it never did appear on my quote and that I was never told about it.

So, I went to check my credit card statement online before the reservation date and the full amount plus taxes had been billed. Even worse, it had been billed by the hotel, even though I had given Whistler.com my credit card number, not the hotel. They even gave the blackcomb lodge my security code on the back.

After tons of telephone calls, and being referred to one person and the next, I decided to call my credit card company who was not happy about this. They launched an investigation.

When I called the hotel to tell them about this they decided to cancel my reservation without a refund and without asking me and said that I was the one who wanted it canceled and that they could not maintain my booking as there was a lack of good faith! All this time they have payment in full...

Needless to say, I called my lawyer and he is having a good laugh. I'm looking forward to getting my money back. Sounds like a horrible place. I'll never use either the Blackcomb Lodge or whistler.com. Watch out and protect your Credit Card!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank robhines
whistlerdotcomcindy, Booking Agency for Blackcomb Lodge at Blackcomb Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2009

We at whistler.com are pleased to respond to Mr. Hines. Whistler.com is the official website for Whistler Resort and we handle reservation requests for all hotels. Having all the various types of lodging listed in one central location makes it easy for our customers to compare options and costs easily. The Blackcomb Lodge is one of the properties that we represent and it offers a fantastic location directly inside the village and very close to the ski slopes which makes it popular with families.

Customers are able to book the Blackcomb Lodge as well as all of our properties either online or with our world-wide toll free number. If you select to book online, as part of the check out process you are shown all of the hotel policies including their policy for payments and refunds. These is done the same most online shopping with the customer having to read and agree to the policies before being able to continue and complete a booking. After you finish your booking, you are immediately sent an email that reiterates the same policies and payment schedules.

It would appear that Mr. Hines did not understand that he clicked on ‘Accept’ the policy button online and waited to receive his credit card statement before he realized that some form of pre-payment was going to be taken. Because of his lack of understanding, the Blackcomb Lodge has graciously agreed to waive their usual policy and have refunded Mr. Hines completely.

It’s a shame he will not be visiting Whistler this year, we’re having a fantastic ski season with some of the best pricing we’ve seen in years. If he should change his mind, we’ll be happy to assist him with his vacation booking. Call 1.800.WHISTLER.

Reviewed 23 September 2008

Location was the key and the indoor pool and sauna were a bonus. Mandatory ski check caused one set to be misplaced resulting in a half day of missed skiing. One children's rental skis were taken by another kid and despite assurances by staff, resulted in a additional billing.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family