“Not bad at all”

Whistler Town Plaza Suites
Vancouver
“Not bad at all”
Reviewed 27 December 2011

December 28th not a lot of choices for last minute bookings. We were at the delta and wanted to extend our trip. I used whistler.com and got a rate of $330.00 per night at the bear lodge. Spacious 1 bedroom very clean and an excellent location right near carumba...garfinkles. It's really not a hotel experience as these are private condos. Downside is that the hot tub is in the next building. I also just found out there is no housekeeping during our stay. I'd still recommend this place as the rooms are large clean and central. Most one bedrooms are between 350 and 500 per night this week.

Room Tip: Book through whistler.com
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank CFSUN

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle
Reviewed 20 December 2011

The prior reviewer did such a good job expressing my sentiments, I am not even going to try to outdo him/her. I am currently staying in Bear Lodge. If it wasn't for some epic (and pre-paid) skiing, I would blow the hell out of here in a heartbeat. I am in a unit right across from the nightclub mentioned in the prior review. Woke up last night to the gaggle of 20-somethings yelling and screaming...then fighting. Finally got quiet at 3AM when one guy was out cold in the street. DO NOT...I repeat...DO NOT stay here. Spend a few bucks more to get a nice place....The Pinnacle looks nice, btw!

This

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Seattleite64
Cheryl W, Manager at Whistler Town Plaza Suites, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
An upsetting experience when late night noise intrudes on your vacation! Not all condos in the Bear Lodge are affected by the street level noise of the busy Village Stroll. Ask before you book a private rental in a busy area or located above many areas of the Village if it is close to a night club. There are many units in Bear Lodge that are not located overlooking the Village Stroll and subjected to late night noise. I am sorry to hear of such a disappointing regreful experience for this guest.
Japan
Reviewed 19 November 2011

I stayed in Bear Lodge, the blue building, on the second floor overlooking the village stroll in December of 2010.

Garfinkle's nightclub was right across the stroll, a stone's throw from my balcony. Forget sleeping! A minimum six nights a week from about 10 p.m. until 2:30 a.m. you are subjected to super-loud club music pumping out of the wide open front door, and large gatherings of young riff-raff screaming, shouting, singing, fighting, hollering, cursing and even fighting, as the hour gets later. If you are serious about skiing and need to get up early to head for the lifts, staying in Bear Lodge will absolutely ruin your vacation, as it did mine. I was actually shocked by the fact the Whistler town council must comprise mostly morons. With their zoning laws, and the fact that the police are not interested in doing anything with these people, it clearly indicates to the public at the large and the tourist spending his hard earned dollars that they are more interested in catering to young riff-raff than the people who are clearly supporting Whistler financially. I seriously doubt that it is the young, obnoxious riff-raff on the street every night who are renting all the pricey condos in Whistler and eating in the high end restaurants of Whistler. I have stayed in many great ski resorts in both Canada and the U.S., and have not experienced any place that is as disgusting as staying on the village stroll in Whistler. In fact, in comparable resorts in the U.S. I have seen signs that made it clear that you had better shut your hole after a certain hour or you'd be hit with a $500 fine. The powers that be in Whistler should be ashamed of themselves for promoting Whistler as a low-grade sewer, rather than a premier, world-class ski resort.

I am not lazy, but walking to the lift was pretty far. It took about ten minutes if you really hoofed it, but with all your gear that 10 minutes is painful. I started wearing my shoes to the lifts and carrying my boots and paying for storage for my gear. To make it worse, after your feet are wrecked and killing you from walking back to the condo, you get there and the card keys for the front door do not work! This happened again and again, and there were constantly guests standing around hoping that someone else would come along with a key the worked. Then, in your wrecked feet, you had to walk to a different building where the front desk was to get a new key card, and of course, leave your skis sitting on the sidewalk to be stolen. The desk people kept advising that we should not carry our keys near as credit card or cell phone, but I was doing neither of these things, and neither were some of the other guests that I spoke to. My whole experience in this condo was just a bleeding nightmare.

Garbage is far away and hard to find in some kind of underground maze. Also, the front desk had been told to accept my skis from FedEx before I got their. They had a note on my booking, and FedEx was given my unit number and all necessary info; however, when FedEx showed up, apparently the incompetents on the fronts desks said, "We don't know anyone by that name," and my skis went back to Vancouver!

Some people mention the good points of the condos as being that they have full kitchens and washer and dryer. Yes, they do, but I would hardly call that a "pro" point; that is what I paid for, that is what I was told I was getting, and neither of those things are hard to get in Whistler. What was greatly disturbing, and what ruined my vacation were the things I was not told that I was getting: the abominable noise, the dysfunctional key cards, and a walk that is longer than advertised.

I would recommend this condo only to low-life, poor, party animal, young people.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
6 Thank mari99
Whistler Town Plaza's three Lodges, Deer, Eagle and Bear are located in the Heart of Whistler Village on above the Village Stroll. A few units at Bear Lodge are affected negatively by late night noise from the club located in another property on the stroll. We have after hour patrol staff that can be called about noise from within the three Lodge, however are not in control of noise from the public or night club. If considiering staying at the property and sensitive to noise from the street level ask if the locaton is affected by the night club noise. Once you reserve a privately owned unit, unlike a hotel, moving is not an option. The owners of the property are reveiwing options for new locks. Electronic keys can become de-programmed by a variety of things. We work very closely with couriers delivering packages for guests and lost luggage to determine who owns it and ensure it gets to the correct owner. I am surprised if it was refused and the decison to return it to Vancovuer one that is made by the individual courier. Truly an unfortunate experience overall!
Canada
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Pros: good location (Eagle), good kitchen with lots of glasses, pans and big refrigerator, very good lay out for 2 bedrooms (one with queen size bed, the other with two single beds), 2 bathrooms. Cons: terrible service, ask at the check in where the parking is located because it is very difficult to get there and the map they give you is totally useless and the lady at the front desk is not friendly at all. Housekeeping is terrible, no top sheet in one of the beds (it took me 3 phone calls to get it!), not very clean, fireplace doesn't work, faucett at the sink of the kitchenette doesn't work, no TV on main room, outdated decoration. Last time I went to the Delta and is FAR FAR better!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank birch_abedul
Sorry to hear of this negative experience. The condos in Whistler Town Plaza are privately owned and many rented by the owner directly. If there are issues with the room that front desk staff are made aware of they communicate them to the apprporiate contractor to rectify. We would be happy to receive any recommendations for making the map to parking easier to follow.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 11 July 2011

The staff at the front desk were incapable of serving its customers efficiently and in a friendly manner. Complaining about their work load in front of guests isn’t really what you want to hear when going on a weekend gateway. Also, we were standing in the line for minimum 15 minutes and they didn’t even know if our friends already checked-in or not; and that is after they consulted their computer system. She actually had to look in a "to do pile" somewhere on the messy desk. We planned to stay for 3 nights (there was a promotion 'pay 2 nights and stay 1 night for free'). However, our key cards and room code did not work anymore after 11am on our 2nd day. So again, we had to stand in the line at the front desk for half an hour and listen to the grumpy staff. Some of them were just standing behind the counter watching or day dreaming, instead of helping out. Else the room was clean, but it can be very noisy at Eagle Lodge as there are musicians playing outside.

Room Tip: Eagle Lodge: Book a room not facing to the street of the village as it's very noisy.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank SQ345
I am sorry to hear that this experience at front desk when checking in was poor. Unfortunately this was a difficult week as we took on an additional 190 suites on an emergency basis who had guests checking in and no where to handle them. We did this with 24 hours to prepare and for the sake of 100 Whistler guests. To get guests into their rooms quicker the paperwork was set aside to process into the computer system after the busy check in period, thus the difficulty with confirming who was in house. It is unfortunate that assisting these unexpected guests affected this guest negatively and that the staff's efforts to explain the delays due to the exceptional circumstances were taken as complaint rather than explanation.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 December 2010

I stayed 5 nights at the Deer Lodge in a 600 sq feet condo from Thurs Dec 9 to Mon Dec 13, 2010. I loved the location to Whistler and to IGA since it was in the village. I just found the mattress may be a bit old as I could feel the springs on my back. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Loved the full kitchen as I cooked breakfast and dinner daily. I would come back here again next year.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Northernangel
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 20 August 2010

This is the second time we've stayed at Town Plaza Suites. This trip was at Bear Lodge (previously was Eagle Lodge). Suite was 2 bedroom, 2 bath with sleeper sofa. Bedrooms were not very large, but the living area was quite comfortable. Being a condo, it had a full kitchen (which is nice not to have to eat out all the time as meals in Whistler are very pricey).
We stayed in 212, which looked out onto the village stroll - fun to people watch, but also was across from the club so people tended to be a bit loud when it was late. If you're party people, you might not mind, but if you're the quiet type, you may want to ask for a room on the back side of the lodge. Cost was excellent: CAD$119/night with a 3rd night free.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple