“Great Stay”

Sundial Boutique Hotel
Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Had relaxing few days in Whistler after a hectic few months of work. My partner and I relaxed and relaxed and had some us time. The staff were great and went out of their way to make this a trip we will tell our friends about. Our one bedroom suite looked over the mountain and it made the mornings very pleasant.
I would recommend the Sundial to anyone who wants a great get-away. We are not skiers so we did our trip before the mad rush of the season about to hit.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

Came here with His Nibs for a belated honeymoon after being referred by a couple workmates. The staff, suite and pricing were excellent.
We asked for, and recieved, a top floor corner mountainview 1bedroom. And they even had chamlagne and chocolates waiting for us. The bed was very comfy and the rest of the suite was well appointed. And the view, we loved sitting on the deck watching the world go by.
Thank you to the staff for giving us the retreat we had been waiting for. Not only will we be back but we most definately recommend the hotel to everyone we know.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This hotel is a great combination of quality, value, service and location! My wife and I stayed here for our 5 year anniversary trip. The staff is great, very helpful and accommodating to our requests for dinner recommendations and some items brought up to our room. The hotel is a great location in the village with short walks to all sorts of great bars and restaurants. We look forward to coming back and staying there.

Room Tip: The hot tub suite is worth the splurge!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Booking and reservations: experience was nice. I had made a few requests based on reviews from other travelers on TripAdvisor. All my requests were acknowledged and assurance given that they will be taken care of, however I was told that they cannot confirm the availability right away. When we finally reached, it was a delight to find out that all requests were taken care of and I had a corner room, on the top floor, towards the valley and not the village mountain square. But my room was right opposite the elevators, but I guess that was unavoidable due to the design of the floor. Fortunately, we did not get any disturbance because of the guests movements through those elevators.
During the communications it was always mentioned that the hotel was right next to the Gondolas and they can get us discounted lift tickets but no one told us that the Gondolas are closed on weekdays during the time we visited. Had this been informed we would have taken a much informed decision to plan our visit on a weekend. Lesson learnt that I should have looked up for the Gondola tickets and not thought that I will get them directly or through hotel once I reach there. This is the first sore point and feedback to booking team.

Reception, checkin & checkout: was quick and easy. However, the staff could see that we were struggling with lot of luggage, folded kids stroller and my wife carrying our sleeping daughter. However, no one made an effort to help us get to the reception and later to the elevator after check in. That was probably one major sore point during our stay.
Was delighted to get a personal welcome note from David Demers - Owner/General Manager. Keep it up.
Checkout was smooth and we could leave our luggage at the hotel left luggage for a few hours without an extra cost.

Room: We booked a one bedroom valley view suite and got Room 800 on the top floor. It was a corner room and offered great valley views and scenery in 3 different directions from 3 different windowpanes in the suite. We had a king bed in the master bedroom, queen pull out sofa in the living room, fully equipped kitchen, gas fireplace, flat screen TVs in bedroom and living room, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker etc. The bedroom and living rooms were spacious and the furniture, mattresses, pillows, cutlery, other accessories etc were all perfect.
Bathrooms had good space, hot tub, nice shower, very nice toiletries, clean and enough towels, hair dryer etc was all great. The heated slate flooring in the bathroom made it comfortable.
Internet came free and speed was very good.

Staff and advice: Staff was very friendly and forthcoming. They did advice on the activities to do; however I think they can do a little more. The hotel should have tie ups and deals which are better than the market. As an example: when I asked about bike rentals, they gave me a card of the shop next door which rents out bikes. When I checked, the rates were quite high. I thought may be the entire place is expensive tourist destination. But when we looked around in the village we found a corner shop called Mountain Riders which was renting bikes at great prices. The hotel should be aware and help guests which such deals rather than handing over random cards. The village and commercial area is so small that this is easily doable.
It was also surprising that the hotel did not have world travel adapters for international guests. I forgot mine and hotel could not help. I could not charge my camera, handycam, phones and iPad. The hotel must cater for these basic things especially at a tourist destination as famous as Whistler which sees great international tourist traffic.

Hot tub & Swimming Pool: I enjoyed the roof top hot tub on the 8th floor which was in such close proximity to my room. Its a great experience. You can also ask for room upgrades to mountain view, hot tub, from 1 to 2 bedroom for a small fee... I did not feel the need for it as it was shoulder season and I enjoyed the hot tub alone and there was no one else around. You can also access the pool at the neighboring property.
While accessing the hot tub our room keys got stuck and we were not able to come out or even call for help. It happened twice with my key and then with my wife's key as well. I managed to walk down a few floors and find the way out through the floors where they had restaurants I guess. This should be looked into and the hotel should place a couple of internal telephone lines for help especially in the place where there is towel rack on 8th floor.

Inspite of a few sore points and feedback mentioned above, I would give 4 stars to Sundial and stay here if I go back to Whistler. For people like me who do a lot of research before making hotel bookings - a quick piece of advice on Whistler - the place is very small and all hotels are almost next to each other. Sundial is a great choice - situated in the mountain square, right next to Gondolas and mountain biking start point, close to other cheaper public parking lots in case you don't want to park at the hotel parking. GO FOR IT!!!

Room Tip: Top floor, corner room, valley view if you want to avoid the village side noise especially on weeken...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank ashimprabhakar
Reviewed 26 October 2013

After reading some reviews on trip advisor with regards to getting the right room with a good view, I booked a One Bedroom Mountain View then sent an email asking for a high room with balcony (not all One Bed Mountain rooms a balcony) so I could really enjoy the view. My email was responded to straight away and whilst the hotel said they couldn't guarantee my request they would make a note on booking - which was fair enough). Upon check in, I was given a room on the top floor (8th) with a balcony so I felt pleased that my request was fulfilled. I couldn't have got a better room as far as the view was concerned. From one window was Blackcomb mountain and the other was Whistler mountain which was fantastic, so if you are booking this type of room then ask for a corner one with this view.
The rooms were exactly as they are on the website with enough storage space and a king sized bed with all the amenities you need. My husband used the hot tub on the 8th floor on 2 occasions, once there were 3 others, and another time it was just him so never particularly busy.
The location of this hotel was pretty much at the end of the Village stroll which is the long pedestrianised area featuring all of the hotels, shops, restaurants etc and only takes about 10-15mins to walk right to the other end.
With regards to parking, you can park at the hotels underground car park for $20 per night or a the free parking lot at the edge of the village for free that is about 5 mins walk away, but you can still unload / load your car outside of the hotel. You only need your car anyway if going on an excursion outside of the village.
This is an excellent hotel to stay in for all seasons.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gail2803
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Booked a four day stay in October and sure glad we chose the Sundial. One bedroom suite with private hot tub overlooking the freestyle bike runs. The staff were so friendly and helpful, the suite was fully equipped and nicely maintained. Because it is a boutique hotel there are not a lot of rooms so not noisy. You can walk everywhere from here, no need to drive, just park your car and enjoy your stay. We would definitely stay here again as we were treated so well, especially the thoughtful anniversary card, chocolates and bottle of bubbly from the management. What a class act!

Room Tip: Pick the mountainview side for views and option of private hot tub suite
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Just stayed in the Sundial in Whistler and really enjoyed it. We had a really nice room with a king bed, a separate sitting room and fully equipped kitchen. Really good value, pity we were only there for the night.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple