“Amazing location and Top Shelf Staff!”

Sundial Boutique Hotel
Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
Reviewed 22 December 2013

My family stayed at the Sundial for 7 nights last week. We were first time travellers to Whistler and novice skiers! I had booked Sundial from the reviews given by others right here on Trip advisor and hoped that it was a good choice. Wow, Wow and Wow! This hotel is fantastic. The location itself is steps away from the gondola's and the Whistler ski lesson meeting point for both adults and children. Our room was a 2 bedroom with mountain view (room 605)and what a great view it was. There was nothing better than returning to the hotel after a day of skiing than to be greeted by happy & friendly staff that would take our ski's and put them in the ski valet for us so that we didn't have to store them in our room, then return to our mountain view room where we would grab a nice glass wine and sit down by the fire place and marvel at the skiers coming down the mountain as the day drew to an end. On sunday night we were fortunate enough to have a great view of the Fire and Ice performance from our room window. Our two children(9yrs & 11 yrs) also loved the room and the kitchen had everything we needed to eat in if that's what we felt like doing on the day. Some reviewers have mentioned the noise at night from other venues near the Sundial, but we didn't find this an issue. Yes, on a Friday & Saturday night you could here some noise from late night party revellers, but it wasn't enough to keep us awake. When staying right in the heart of all the action in the village, you should expect a little noise-Whistler is a fun place to be afterall!!We are already planning to stay at the Sundial next year. If you value great service by professional and caring staff, an unbeatable location and well maintained rooms then don't look any further than this hotel.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get a mountain view-well worth it.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank CairnsMee

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Hotel Review - Sundial Boutique Hotel
Stay: 1 Night
When: October 2012
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Price: 267 CAD (310 SGD) for 2 Bedroom Suite (Valley View)
Breakfast included - NO
Location:
The hotel is located directly in the heart of Whistler, closer to the Ski lift (Winter) and Mountainbike treck (Summer) than any other hotel in Whistler. It has its own car park, means access from Vancouver is extremely easy and the hotel is very easy to find as well. You can walk the whole of Whistler directly from the hotel, and go hiking through the several areas without having to use public transport. Location wise it can't get better than this.
Hotel / Rooms:
The hotel is a huge, very cozy, building, with multiple floors of rooms. However you never get the feeling of a sterile environment, it's very nicely and warm inside and especially in the winter it's the right spot to hang out after a day skiing. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite, looking at the valley, which was very nice and came with a big kitchen, very cozy sofa area. The beds were extremely comfortable, probably the biggest mattress I've ever slept on. And the best thing was the jacuzzi on the roof top. Make sure to pay a visit. Towels are available at the roof, so no need to bring any up with you. We didn't try the breakfast as we had a suite with kitchen and cooked for ourselves.
EXTRA GOOD:
+ Rooftop Jacuzzi
+ Location in the heart of Whistler
+ Warm Hotel
+ Ok priced

BAD:
- The only thing I have to complain about is, that the last time we visited, the lifts got closed for maintenance and we spend a weekend up there without being able to do anything. The hotel could have easily informed us (same as they did when we checked in) and we would have rescheduled for the next weekend.

Room Tip: Get one of the 1 or 2 bedroom suites, they are worth it and are huge
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank AngryAngMo
Reviewed 29 November 2013

The room was large and comfortable, it had a small kitchen area, nice size sitting room, & there was cutlery provided etc if you were staying for a longer period
We were only passing through Whistler, which for a non Skier type like me was not very exciting. However, I did enjoy spending the night at the Sundial, it had a good feel to it & the staff were very helpful, we had to ask a technician to help get the TV working.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Had relaxing few days in Whistler after a hectic few months of work. My partner and I relaxed and relaxed and had some us time. The staff were great and went out of their way to make this a trip we will tell our friends about. Our one bedroom suite looked over the mountain and it made the mornings very pleasant.
I would recommend the Sundial to anyone who wants a great get-away. We are not skiers so we did our trip before the mad rush of the season about to hit.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

Came here with His Nibs for a belated honeymoon after being referred by a couple workmates. The staff, suite and pricing were excellent.
We asked for, and recieved, a top floor corner mountainview 1bedroom. And they even had chamlagne and chocolates waiting for us. The bed was very comfy and the rest of the suite was well appointed. And the view, we loved sitting on the deck watching the world go by.
Thank you to the staff for giving us the retreat we had been waiting for. Not only will we be back but we most definately recommend the hotel to everyone we know.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This hotel is a great combination of quality, value, service and location! My wife and I stayed here for our 5 year anniversary trip. The staff is great, very helpful and accommodating to our requests for dinner recommendations and some items brought up to our room. The hotel is a great location in the village with short walks to all sorts of great bars and restaurants. We look forward to coming back and staying there.

Room Tip: The hot tub suite is worth the splurge!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Booking and reservations: experience was nice. I had made a few requests based on reviews from other travelers on TripAdvisor. All my requests were acknowledged and assurance given that they will be taken care of, however I was told that they cannot confirm the availability right away. When we finally reached, it was a delight to find out that all requests were taken care of and I had a corner room, on the top floor, towards the valley and not the village mountain square. But my room was right opposite the elevators, but I guess that was unavoidable due to the design of the floor. Fortunately, we did not get any disturbance because of the guests movements through those elevators.
During the communications it was always mentioned that the hotel was right next to the Gondolas and they can get us discounted lift tickets but no one told us that the Gondolas are closed on weekdays during the time we visited. Had this been informed we would have taken a much informed decision to plan our visit on a weekend. Lesson learnt that I should have looked up for the Gondola tickets and not thought that I will get them directly or through hotel once I reach there. This is the first sore point and feedback to booking team.

Reception, checkin & checkout: was quick and easy. However, the staff could see that we were struggling with lot of luggage, folded kids stroller and my wife carrying our sleeping daughter. However, no one made an effort to help us get to the reception and later to the elevator after check in. That was probably one major sore point during our stay.
Was delighted to get a personal welcome note from David Demers - Owner/General Manager. Keep it up.
Checkout was smooth and we could leave our luggage at the hotel left luggage for a few hours without an extra cost.

Room: We booked a one bedroom valley view suite and got Room 800 on the top floor. It was a corner room and offered great valley views and scenery in 3 different directions from 3 different windowpanes in the suite. We had a king bed in the master bedroom, queen pull out sofa in the living room, fully equipped kitchen, gas fireplace, flat screen TVs in bedroom and living room, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker etc. The bedroom and living rooms were spacious and the furniture, mattresses, pillows, cutlery, other accessories etc were all perfect.
Bathrooms had good space, hot tub, nice shower, very nice toiletries, clean and enough towels, hair dryer etc was all great. The heated slate flooring in the bathroom made it comfortable.
Internet came free and speed was very good.

Staff and advice: Staff was very friendly and forthcoming. They did advice on the activities to do; however I think they can do a little more. The hotel should have tie ups and deals which are better than the market. As an example: when I asked about bike rentals, they gave me a card of the shop next door which rents out bikes. When I checked, the rates were quite high. I thought may be the entire place is expensive tourist destination. But when we looked around in the village we found a corner shop called Mountain Riders which was renting bikes at great prices. The hotel should be aware and help guests which such deals rather than handing over random cards. The village and commercial area is so small that this is easily doable.
It was also surprising that the hotel did not have world travel adapters for international guests. I forgot mine and hotel could not help. I could not charge my camera, handycam, phones and iPad. The hotel must cater for these basic things especially at a tourist destination as famous as Whistler which sees great international tourist traffic.

Hot tub & Swimming Pool: I enjoyed the roof top hot tub on the 8th floor which was in such close proximity to my room. Its a great experience. You can also ask for room upgrades to mountain view, hot tub, from 1 to 2 bedroom for a small fee... I did not feel the need for it as it was shoulder season and I enjoyed the hot tub alone and there was no one else around. You can also access the pool at the neighboring property.
While accessing the hot tub our room keys got stuck and we were not able to come out or even call for help. It happened twice with my key and then with my wife's key as well. I managed to walk down a few floors and find the way out through the floors where they had restaurants I guess. This should be looked into and the hotel should place a couple of internal telephone lines for help especially in the place where there is towel rack on 8th floor.

Inspite of a few sore points and feedback mentioned above, I would give 4 stars to Sundial and stay here if I go back to Whistler. For people like me who do a lot of research before making hotel bookings - a quick piece of advice on Whistler - the place is very small and all hotels are almost next to each other. Sundial is a great choice - situated in the mountain square, right next to Gondolas and mountain biking start point, close to other cheaper public parking lots in case you don't want to park at the hotel parking. GO FOR IT!!!

Room Tip: Top floor, corner room, valley view if you want to avoid the village side noise especially on weeken...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family