“Fantastic Rooms”

Four Seasons Resort and Residences Whistler
Ranked #3 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
Reviewed 16 October 2011

We arrived in Whistler on a Thursday night in October -- not exactly a busy time for the village. So when we pulled up to the Four Seasons in our rental car, at about 7pm in the evening, there was nobody in sight. No valet, no bellman, no nothing. So after we hauled our own bags out of the car began to enter the building, the one staff member who seemed to be working saw us and came running to help us. Understanding that that was not the standard welcome at a Four Seasons hotel, I think he tried to give us excellent service for the rest of our stay. Just a small glitch that I can easily overlook.

After a quick check-in process, we went up to our room on the 8th floor (1 from the top). We had booked a premium view room (the best view), and were offered a suite upgrade for $50, but we declined since I didn't want to compromise a view (although I'm sure the suites had good views too). Paying for the upgrade is certainly worth it. Although our room was $100 more than the base room, our view was certainly the best to be had in my opinion. I wouldn't really want to stay in an interior courtyard view down on the 2nd floor. Not really what I'm in Whistler for. Also, since we were celebrating our 1st anniversary, the manager left sparkling wine and chocolates in our room.

The room is stunning -- I particularly appreciate the wood work detail. A beautiful foyer, a vegas-rate bathroom, a beautiful walk-in dressing room and closet, a wonderful sitting area, and bar area, and a great bed. And a beautiful balcony! Didn't really need a suite, this room had everything that one would need.

The rest of the hotel is beautiful -- although we didn't explore much as it felt kind of weird being what seemed to be the only people in the entire hotel. I'm sure there were others, but we didn't see anybody else in the hotel for the entire time.

The location is great -- a little out of the action, but I'm fine with that. The hotel provides a car service to take you to and from wherever you'd like to go. All in all, a fantastic experience, and we'd stay there again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,759)

Reviewed 12 October 2011

fantastic hotel. worth the money. concierge organised a rental car, afternon outing. spinning coach was great. housekeeping amazing. stayed 5 days in September 2011

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2011

We loved our stay at the Four Seasons Whistler. The rooms are among the best I've ever seen in a hotel. The finishes were beautiful, the decor comforting, the room spacious and very well laid out. I think we had one of the smallest rooms at the property - but it was one of the larger rooms we've ever stayed in at a hotel. Just as an example, it had a walk in closet that was about 5 ft by 7 ft - and that was just the closet! I was impressed by the "solidness" of the structure - you can tell no expense was spared in providing the best. The only meal we had was breakfast (on two morning). The Fairmont is within walking distance and we had a very nice dinner there one evening. I'd love to go back to the Four Seasons again!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wintersummer
Reviewed 5 October 2011

This was well-worth the money. The room was lovely, with an amazing bathroom, a fireplace, and a little balcony. We will definitely stay here again!

Reviewed 5 October 2011

My husband and I had the most wonderful experience anyone could ever dream of having. If I had to rate the staff between 1 and 10 I would give them a 15 if I could! My husband and I decided at the last minute to go to Whistler for our Anniversary this year. When we arrived, the woman at the front desk was just so delightful and sweet that we automatically knew we had chosen the right hotel to stay at. She upgraded our room for us and we were absolutely thrilled with the room once we saw it. It was beautiful, clean, warm and comfortable. We were interested in doing the Peak to Peak tour, so we asked the concierge for more information on it. She was so kind and informative and she explained the map of the village to us and even gave us coupons to purchase our tickets. From there we took a hotel car to the base of the mountain. I cannot say too many times how impressed my husband and I were with the service we received. We had a lovely dinner in town and then called the car to pick us up again and bring us back to the hotel. When we arrived back in our room we were delighted to find a bottle of sparkling wine and strawberries! The Whistler Four Seasons made sure that we had an anniversary we would never forget. Mark my words: I will never stay anywhere else in Whistler and will share my experience with anyone who will listen. They went above and beyond and provided us with this wonderful experience! My husband and I sincerely appreciated the effort put forth by everyone who worked there and could not have been more satisfied with our stay.

2  Thank B_and_C_Wilson
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We just returned from a 2 night stay in Whistler at the Four Seasons. The hotel was very nice and looked like the best hotel in Whistler. I booked a Deluxe Room based on feedback I saw on Tripadvisor but when we arrived, they upgraded us to a Premier (same size room but with a mountain view) which was nice. The room was clean, had a huge walk-in closet and the bed was really comfortable. We stayed at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia in Vancouver for 3 nights before Whistler which was just unbelievable and is why I didn't rate the Four Seasons a 5 star. Four Seasons is a step down in every way (food, amenities, decorating, service) but it is also cheaper.

It felt like we were the only people staying in the hotel since the end of September is low season in Whistler but if you don't like crowds and want to try out attractions other than skiiing, I think it is a great time to go.

We had one incident during our stay: we ordered room service for breakfast and told them that we were in a rush as we had a ziplining booking. They assured us that the food would be at our room within 45 minutes. After about 1 hour, we phoned back and cancelled and left. That night, we received a written apology from the food and beverage manager and a plate of chocolates. I thought they handled the incident very well and know the timing was tight.
If you go, make sure you eat at the Rimrock Cafe in Creekside: fantastic food.

Room Tip: End of Sept / beginning of Oct is low season and our room was upgraded.
Reviewed 30 September 2011

My wife and I made our first trip to Whistler in March of 2011 for a late season week long ski holiday; which I surprized her with at Christmastime. I booked online (easy) and paid extra per night (when compared to other options) to stay in a very nice property. We had a little hiccup with regard to ground transportation from the Vancouver airport to Whistler (which I will describe below) but everything (EVERYTHING) else about our stay at this property and at Whistler in general was fantastic and first rate.

About the Four Seasons service: we had to cut our stay short by a full day because one of our children (we left them at home) had to have appendix surgery. After one phone call to the front desk the situation was resolved and we were able to then concentrate on changing our air travel (which was more difficult). We were not charged byt he hotel for the change and we were refunded for the day we had reserved but could not stay. Overall my experience was fantastic and I would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel to anyone who has the ability and desire to pay for a lush experience.

For the details of our ground transportation snafu:
When reserving my room I was provided an option to secure ground transportation (passenger van) through the Four Seasons website, which I selected. Later (weeks later) when reviewing my reservation online, I noted that the ground transportation was not listed among the details of my reservation. I concluded the reservation was not made and when I reviewed my email and noted no mention of ground transport; I chose different transportation (via bus) through a different company on a different website. On arrival to Vancouver we hopped on our bus and began our long (due to numerous stops) trip to Whistler. When we arrived at the hotel the concierge quietly asked me to step aside to speak with me privately whereupon I was advised that the private van made the 2 hour trip to the airport but we weren't there, and the cost of the ground transport needed to be discussed. When I explained that I never received any confirmation of the ground transportation and couldn't confirm the transaction prior to our arrival, the concierge provided an understanding nod and immediately removed the charge. Apparently the ground options on the website are not through the hotel but are through a third party that, at least in my case, was impossible to see when reviewing reservations. The concierge admitted that the service the company provided was not to her expectations and for all I know this has since been changed. Even this slightly distatseful event was deftly, deferentially, professionally, respectfully, and immediately handled to my satisfaction. All what you would expect from a luxury hotel experience.

The room: we chose a deluxe room. Beautiful appointments, spacious, clean and spotless, huge bathroom with separate tub from shower and closed off w/c area. The gas fireplace was a nice touch, and the bed was comfy and clean. Our view was of the undeveloped mountainside to the north of the ski area and was fantastic, although we could also see the pool and a roof structure directly beneath us.

The service: room service was prompt, but pricey (is that a surprize to anyone?). We ate 3 meals in the restaruants and bars in the hotel and were very pleased. Sidecut was an especially enjoyable experience for us, but we are unrepentant carnivores.

The area: The Four Seasons is on the Blackcomb side of things, and is away from the main village. It was quiet and calm (but remember we went in mid March). We indulged in a 'whistler tasting tour' on our second night, which was a great way to 'scope out restaurants without having to have a full meal. Later we ate at three of the venues we visited on the tour. I would recommend the tasting tour to any first timer to Whistler; when else have you sliced off the top of a bottle of champagne with a sword?

The skiing: As this was our first ski venture ever, we have nothing with which to compare. I hate to gush but we had more fun in Whistler than on any other vacation. I will never seek out another wintertime beach holiday because skiing is so much fun. I recognize that the hotel has no affiliation with the mountain ski services, but our lessons were mroe than we expected. In 3 lessons they took us from being unable to stand on skis to comfortably skiing from the alpine to the bottom of both mountains. By the end of our vacation we were exploring the mountain together alone, top to bottom, and you wouldn't believe the grins. The ski concierge made the process of rental, pick up and drop off effortless, as they had a location at the base of Blackcomb and sent a team to Whistler at the end of the day so you could pop off the skis and hand 'em off to the attendants right there and then. We had to change equipment mid week and were allowed to so without additional charge.

The hotel operates a constant shuttle service around the villages which made getting around after a full day of skiing (and a full 2 hours of apres beers) easy and comfortable, although to be honest the villages are close enough in distance and elevation that you could easily walk everywhere along the pathways. (Again, keep in mind the mild weather in March at the base of the mountains).

I so wanted to return this year (2012) and lobbied hard for it, but the wife wants to see what skiing in Colorado is like. I suspect I'll be lobbying again in 2013.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple