The Gables
Pan Pacific Whistler Mountainside(Whistler)(Great Value!)
US$187
  • Pool
Crystal Lodge Hotel(Whistler)(Great Value!)
US$141
US$134
US$253
US$240
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Summit Lodge Boutique Hotel(Whistler)(Great Value!)
US$175
US$141
  • Pool
Pan Pacific Whistler Village Centre(Whistler)(Great Value!)
US$357
US$267
  • Breakfast included
Hilton Whistler Resort & Spa(Whistler)(Great Value!)
US$188
US$174
  • Pool
Nita Lake Lodge(Whistler)(Great Value!)
US$160
US$152
  • Pool
Aava Whistler Hotel(Whistler)(Great Value!)
US$130
US$121
  • Pool
The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler(Whistler)(Great Value!)
US$187
US$150
Westin.com
  • Restaurant
US$262
US$250
  • Pool
All reviewsmud roomperfect locationwhistler villagemain villagecondogearblackcombkitchenovenskifireplace
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We stayed in The Gables #9. In The Gables this location is closest to the lifts (and the road) and you can hear the road noise quite easily, but that's not that big of a deal. I love this place for it's location. You can easily walk to Whistler or Blackcomb.

Overall, the place is serviceable, but fairly run down and not well appointed. However, thanks to my wife, there are now more utensils and dishes. It could still use more cookware to help you avoid the expensive (and not that great) restaurant food. The sliding door to the washer/dryer is broken and off the hinges and one of the upstairs closets also has a similar problem. The upstairs bathroom doesn't have a stopper for the sink. These are the kinds of little things that are minor annoyances, but should really be dealt with since you pay dearly for the location. Their Wi-Fi works fine.

What I loved about the place is that there is an upstairs bedroom with a queen bed and a downstairs "den" that is really a bedrooom without a closet. That worked great for us with a 3 year old (in a crib upstairs from Babies on the Go (or somesuch)) upstairs and the 10 year old downstairs.

We stayed at The Gables in 2007 closer to the trail that crosses the river. That makes you feel more like you are in a secluded setting with the trees and the river, but does make for a slightly longer walk to the lifts. I think I prefer the units farther from the road.

As others have said, check-in/out is a pain if you don't plan ahead. This time (unlike the first time) we arranged for a transfer from the bus (Perimeter Bus) to the condo. Otherwise you schlepp your stuff from the Blackcomb lodge or waste time arranging a very short cab ride.

Bottom line, if you are fussy about little details, look for another place. However, if you like convenience, this is a good place to consider.

Room Tip: Pre-arrange transfer of luggage from check-in at Blackcomb Lodge to unit. Stay away from road if you want a more secluded yet still convenient stay.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We stayed at Unit 9. Check in is a bit of a challenge at Blackcomb Lodge which is not easy to find for the Whistler uninitiated. The location is a short walk to skiing (5 min or so to either base) and this is the best feature of the unit- but not ski in or out. There are no additional features such as a pool or hot tub.

The unit was ok but definitely tired & dated. There were doors missing from bathroom cupboards, from closets and mold on the main bathroom ceiling. The bathroom fixtures were very dated and falling apart (the shower door, handles on the very dated and small "whirl pool tub" and cracked fixtures in the powder room). The shower/bathtub is actually difficult to get in & out. The main bedroom was reasonable & comfortable but the second was very small & claustrophobic with no window and an uncomfortable bed.

The kitchen was reasonably appointed but very second rate and limited utensils, pots & pans & cutlery. It would be a small investment to remedy this.

Parking is a little bit of a hike from the unit (although not unreasonable).

Overall I was disappointed as a middle aged professional and would seek other accommodation or our next Whistler visit.

Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 4 March 2011

No issues at all with condo itself - warm and pleasant and quiet. Close to both sets of lifts and not far to the shopping.

My biggest issue was the checkin arrangements. There isn't anything on site, so checkin occured down the road at the Glacier Lodge. I arrived via bus about 7pm - in the dark, and it was snowing heavily.

If you don't have a car, you are required to cart all you gear about 400 metres to the lodge. I was given poor instructions, and ended up a bit lost in the dark. Extremely annoying. I'd be very concerned about families, or females on their own.

Make sure you understand the drop off arrangements. According to my bus company (pacific coast lines) plans, they were meant to check me in, then drop me to The Gables. Never happened.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank NickLanigan
Reviewed 6 February 2011

A group of nine of us stayed in Gables #17 for one week at the end of January. I was a little concerned after reading previous reviews but it really was not that bad at all. The condo could not be better positioned and was about equal distance from both the base of Blackcomb and Whistler (about a two minute walk). It was also very quiet. A brief outline of the condo – ground floor had a small kitchen, dining room table and sitting room with one large three seater sofa (folded into a bed if needed) and three easy chairs. It also had a bathroom with a shower (no tub). On the second floor there was a further bathroom with a shower over a tub and three bedrooms – one queen, one twin and one bunk bedded room. On the third floor was a room with three single beds. Although the condo was not ‘wow’ it was perfectly comfortable, clean and reasonably well maintained. For a group of friends who are simply into skiing/snowboarding it is perfect but for couples it might not quite so great due to the sleeping arrangements although the single beds could be pushed together if need be. It would be perfect if the rooms had larger beds that could be split if needed to suit all needs. The condo also had a code entry, which eliminated the need for a key, which is great as no need to worry about who carries a key/s and anybody can return to the condo at any time. I wanted to mention the previous reviewer BlackBerryLarry, who was very helpful at answering my questions and also wanted to comment/follow on from his review: the beds were quite comfortable, no feather duvets or 200 thread count sheets but we had no problems and were zonked after a day’s skiing anyway! The lighting was not great and seemed oddly set up as did the TV on the wall – very small TV with cables hanging down. The bedrooms could have also benefited with some mirrors (the main queen had one but that was it I think). We did not cook in the condo or use the dining room table so I really cannot comment on those things. I must agree with BlackBerryLarry on the lack of Wi Fi; this is easy to set up and something the owners should perhaps consider. We were able to leave out skis etc in the porch area, which was fine although many of us hired lockers at the base of Whistler to save walking in ski boots. All in all I would recommend Gables #17, I know you are paying for the location but if it was given some TLC and Wi Fi it could be even better!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Spacecadetgirly
Dave_Mitchell_WP, Front Office Manager at The Gables, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2011

We are glad you enjoyed your stay at The Gables #17 and want to thank you for taking the time to post this review. You pointed out many of the positives of the Gables complex including the convenient walk to the ski lifts and both the Whistler village and 'upper' village. I agree the location can't be beat if you want to be near everything but just outside of the village area. This results in a usually quiet environment.

I am pleased to say that the room does now include complimentary WIFI and there will be some touch ups done this fall.

Reviewed 30 December 2010

First let me be sure to explain that many (though probably still most) of these complaints would not be levelled at a place priced more modestly. But at $1200/night, things should be pretty darn nice. Things should be very smartly turned out, I should think. But they are definitely not that! ...

We are staying at #17. A four bedroom unit. So we pay more for that. Fair enough. And we're here right after Christmas - so the most expensive time. All that said…

. bed sheets with holes in them
. poor quality and very hard foam pillows
. living room lighting - very poor.
. tables and lamps seriously compromised by a poorly installed *small* flat screen tv (mounted *way* too high) putting other components (dvd, etc) on an end table (so now it can no longer be used as intended/needed) - why not just use a proper tv stand?
. no throw blankets in living room
. kitchen utensils completely inadequate. Not even a pair of scissors, no sharp knives, no baking sheets (who would not want to make cookies on a ski trip?!), far too few glasses for a place billed as appropriate for 9 people (we're only five and there's not nearly enough).
. while the table/dinning area might look nice, it is really awkward. The table is far too big for such a small area. Seating for eight, but much too crowded.
. kitchen designed for one (small) person to be there at a time. (for a four bedroom unit, this is rather odd!)
. oven takes a ridiculously long time to come up to temperature (>30 min 375)
. oven door handle nearly falling off
. toaster designed for mini loaves only
. coffee maker (and toaster) is the cheapest and poorest quality unit I've ever come across
. for such an expensive place, I'd like to see *some* staples supplied - coffee filters, salt/pepper would go a long way. Maybe a little olive oil & and some vinegar? who wants to buy these for a short stay?
. And! What's this? - in 2011, at this price and there is no Wi-Fi?!!
. very poor quality bathrooms - shower curtain is heavy stiff plastic, tub and facet a mess and of poor quality
. no secure ski lockup! They ask, "don't leave skis in the unit", but there is no secure place outside to leave them.

At $400 or $500/night I would find this poor, but probably not comment on it. But at the prices they are asking, I'm very, very disappointed.

On the plus side of the equation - it is very close to the lifts, only a short, easy walk to the upper village and just a couple minutes more to the main village. This is nice.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family