“Nice, but checkin and checkout annoying”
Review of The Gables

The Gables
Reviewed 4 March 2011

No issues at all with condo itself - warm and pleasant and quiet. Close to both sets of lifts and not far to the shopping.

My biggest issue was the checkin arrangements. There isn't anything on site, so checkin occured down the road at the Glacier Lodge. I arrived via bus about 7pm - in the dark, and it was snowing heavily.

If you don't have a car, you are required to cart all you gear about 400 metres to the lodge. I was given poor instructions, and ended up a bit lost in the dark. Extremely annoying. I'd be very concerned about families, or females on their own.

Make sure you understand the drop off arrangements. According to my bus company (pacific coast lines) plans, they were meant to check me in, then drop me to The Gables. Never happened.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank NickLanigan

Reviewed 6 February 2011

A group of nine of us stayed in Gables #17 for one week at the end of January. I was a little concerned after reading previous reviews but it really was not that bad at all. The condo could not be better positioned and was about equal distance from both the base of Blackcomb and Whistler (about a two minute walk). It was also very quiet. A brief outline of the condo – ground floor had a small kitchen, dining room table and sitting room with one large three seater sofa (folded into a bed if needed) and three easy chairs. It also had a bathroom with a shower (no tub). On the second floor there was a further bathroom with a shower over a tub and three bedrooms – one queen, one twin and one bunk bedded room. On the third floor was a room with three single beds. Although the condo was not ‘wow’ it was perfectly comfortable, clean and reasonably well maintained. For a group of friends who are simply into skiing/snowboarding it is perfect but for couples it might not quite so great due to the sleeping arrangements although the single beds could be pushed together if need be. It would be perfect if the rooms had larger beds that could be split if needed to suit all needs. The condo also had a code entry, which eliminated the need for a key, which is great as no need to worry about who carries a key/s and anybody can return to the condo at any time. I wanted to mention the previous reviewer BlackBerryLarry, who was very helpful at answering my questions and also wanted to comment/follow on from his review: the beds were quite comfortable, no feather duvets or 200 thread count sheets but we had no problems and were zonked after a day’s skiing anyway! The lighting was not great and seemed oddly set up as did the TV on the wall – very small TV with cables hanging down. The bedrooms could have also benefited with some mirrors (the main queen had one but that was it I think). We did not cook in the condo or use the dining room table so I really cannot comment on those things. I must agree with BlackBerryLarry on the lack of Wi Fi; this is easy to set up and something the owners should perhaps consider. We were able to leave out skis etc in the porch area, which was fine although many of us hired lockers at the base of Whistler to save walking in ski boots. All in all I would recommend Gables #17, I know you are paying for the location but if it was given some TLC and Wi Fi it could be even better!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Spacecadetgirly
Dave_Mitchell_WP, Front Office Manager at The Gables, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2011

We are glad you enjoyed your stay at The Gables #17 and want to thank you for taking the time to post this review. You pointed out many of the positives of the Gables complex including the convenient walk to the ski lifts and both the Whistler village and 'upper' village. I agree the location can't be beat if you want to be near everything but just outside of the village area. This results in a usually quiet environment.

I am pleased to say that the room does now include complimentary WIFI and there will be some touch ups done this fall.

Reviewed 30 December 2010

First let me be sure to explain that many (though probably still most) of these complaints would not be levelled at a place priced more modestly. But at $1200/night, things should be pretty darn nice. Things should be very smartly turned out, I should think. But they are definitely not that! ...

We are staying at #17. A four bedroom unit. So we pay more for that. Fair enough. And we're here right after Christmas - so the most expensive time. All that said…

. bed sheets with holes in them
. poor quality and very hard foam pillows
. living room lighting - very poor.
. tables and lamps seriously compromised by a poorly installed *small* flat screen tv (mounted *way* too high) putting other components (dvd, etc) on an end table (so now it can no longer be used as intended/needed) - why not just use a proper tv stand?
. no throw blankets in living room
. kitchen utensils completely inadequate. Not even a pair of scissors, no sharp knives, no baking sheets (who would not want to make cookies on a ski trip?!), far too few glasses for a place billed as appropriate for 9 people (we're only five and there's not nearly enough).
. while the table/dinning area might look nice, it is really awkward. The table is far too big for such a small area. Seating for eight, but much too crowded.
. kitchen designed for one (small) person to be there at a time. (for a four bedroom unit, this is rather odd!)
. oven takes a ridiculously long time to come up to temperature (>30 min 375)
. oven door handle nearly falling off
. toaster designed for mini loaves only
. coffee maker (and toaster) is the cheapest and poorest quality unit I've ever come across
. for such an expensive place, I'd like to see *some* staples supplied - coffee filters, salt/pepper would go a long way. Maybe a little olive oil & and some vinegar? who wants to buy these for a short stay?
. And! What's this? - in 2011, at this price and there is no Wi-Fi?!!
. very poor quality bathrooms - shower curtain is heavy stiff plastic, tub and facet a mess and of poor quality
. no secure ski lockup! They ask, "don't leave skis in the unit", but there is no secure place outside to leave them.

At $400 or $500/night I would find this poor, but probably not comment on it. But at the prices they are asking, I'm very, very disappointed.

On the plus side of the equation - it is very close to the lifts, only a short, easy walk to the upper village and just a couple minutes more to the main village. This is nice.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank BlackBerryLarry
Reviewed 14 January 2010

We'd love to love this place, but the bed was a brick, pillows flat, and no internet access. There are places in the village with free wifi.

We stayed in #24 - It's a great location - walk across the street to the lift, walk out the back down to the villiage.

Very spacious - full kitchen w/fridge, stove, microwave, washer/dryer, dining area and living area - along with one bedroom. For the price compared to the other places, this is a good deal. The walls were a bit thin, but was mostly just people walking up/down stairs. We bought groceries and ate breakfast at home.

There is underground parking so you don't have to worry about your car being iced over.

About the internet access - there was a wireless signal that showed up as #31, but alas no password for us. There was even a cable modem, but it must have been deactivated - plugging in didn't work.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tarasso
Reviewed 21 October 2009

Absolutley the best!! fully equipted condo,nestled in the Village.Close to all ammenities.I highly recommend this vacation spot for all those travelling to the Olympics,or just wanting to get away!!

Stayed: October 2009
3  Thank LorraineL4
Reviewed 9 February 2009

We stayed here for our recent Whistler vacation! I realize that all of these units are individually owned, but I imagine that many of them would have the same layout...

We stayed in a 3 bedroom unit (we did have to climb about 20 stairs to get to the entrance of the condo - which was a little hard for some of our older family members) - one bedroom on the main floor and two upstairs. We absolutely loved the nice size and open layout of the kitchen, dining area and living room! It was great! All of the bedrooms were wonderful as well! Although there isn't a lot of privacy in the upstairs bedrooms (and this may have been specific to the individual unit we were staying in), as they are really lofts with cut out "windows" overlooking the living room - so no outside air from these rooms either, other than coming from downstairs. Also of course if you are in the living room you can hear everything from upstairs, and vice versa. That was the only con about this unit.

The location is the BEST! Right in between both mountains - but closer to Blackcomb Mtn, but super quick to Whistler Mtn as well! We loved the location!

All in all it was a wonderful condo, great layout and perfect location!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank MrMrsTravel
Reviewed 13 April 2007

My family and I have just returned from an excellent 10 days in Whistler. We stayed at the Aspens last year, which was very good, brilliant ski in & out for the Wizard chair, but a little inconvenient for the Whistler gondolas.

This time we stayed in a condo in the Gables. The Gables is excellently sited with a around a five minute virtually level walk to either mountain base, not a problem, even in boots. Whistler town and the Upper Village are also only short walks away but the Gables were quiet and secluded in their own wooded area.

We understand that the condos are all individually owned and therefore can vary, and can therefore only write about our limited experience: The condo was very well appointed with anything you could need and the owners could not have been more helpful, booking was easy over the internet and communication was also excellent. Our apartment was strictly non-smoking and with a useful entry hall where all outdoor paraphernalia could be left leaving the main living area clean and uncluttered. We used the Perimeter Bus service door to door from Vancouver airport, but underground garage parking is available if you have a car.

As you can tell, we are very happy customers and would undoubtedly look at the Gables again if (or more likely when) we return to Whistler.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank Dannysdadski