“Beautiful but service was disappointing. ”
Review of Nita Lake Lodge

Nita Lake Lodge
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
Foster City, California
“Beautiful but service was disappointing. ”
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

I just came back from a trip to whistler and stayed at this property over Christmas time. I stayed for 3 nights. This is a stunning property but was hoping for excellent service for the fact that I was paying on average $500/ night.

First, the pros- beautiful Christmas decoration and lobby bar was cozy and chic. On Christmas Day I was surprised by a stocking full of goodies in it, a very nice touch. The room was spacious and so was the bathroom, which had a huge tub that can fit two comfortably. The restaurant staff and maître d' were very friendly and so were the bar staff. The maître d' of the Aura restaurant greeted me every morning by my name.

Then, the cons- the concierge had called me prior to arrival regarding assisting me in booking restaurants. I had emailed them my request and they did respond and confirmed one reservation. I also made an appointment on my own with their spa. However, upon arrival, they did not bring up any reservations that I had made. I had to double check with them independently. The front desk personnels all seem fairly new, when asked which restaurant I should try out in the village, one of them told me she's only arrived a few months ago so she couldn't tell me. The shuttle company that was suppose to pick me to take me to the airport arrived late and when I inquired the front desk about it, they initially did not offer to call the company for me until i had gone to the front desk again 15 minutes later. In general, the front desk was not very helpful. It makes it feel like everything is self served there.

On a separate note, the last night I was at the hotel, I tried to use the bathtub by filling it up with water, only to find that there are hair and dirty floating on the water. The hot tub was not clean.

Perhaps it was because it was the holidays but I am disappointed about their service, so much so I'd rather stay at a property next time that may not be as pretty as this one but offers friendlier service.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
NitaGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Nita Lake Lodge, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank your for writing a review of your stay at Nita Lake Lodge.
We strive to provide a level of service which is both customized and personal and are truly sorry that this is not the service you experienced from our front desk. We usually receive very positive feedback form our team here and I will certainly be following up to ensure service levels remain at the highest possible level.
We do find all feedback valuable and I would be delighted to speak with you personally to discuss your stay in detail. My contact number is 604-966-5803.
I hope that you enjoyed your Christmas in Whistler- Wishing you a very happy 2014!
Nancy Steward - Guest Relations Manager - nancy@nitalakelodge.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Our stay at this lodge was excellent! The staff were friendly and helpful, the food was of excellent quality and the rooms were impeccable. The room we stayed in was very large and modern and the patio and bathroom were lovely. The only issue we had was with the orange essence shower gel and shampoo. It was much too strong of a scent, it was quite oily, and it was not easy to use. A short while after, I began having trouble breathing due to the strong scent of orange essence on my hair. I was very surprised to see such potent, terrible shower products in such a beautiful, great 4.5 star lodge.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay to us!
We are happy to say that very recently we have replaced our in-room amenities to our provincially exclusive ila product that has been a big hit in our Spa the past year. These are natural and organic products that we are sure our guest will enjoy!
We certainly apologize for your experience with our previous product.
We are looking forward to seeing you at the lodge again soon!
kings lynn
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the lodge from 12th- 19th December! We loved this place. It felt very personnel and cosy as it is not a huge hotel. We had some chocolates for our honeymoon when we got in the room. We had a studio lake view suite which was very comfortable. The bed was amazing! Loved the fire and had it on every day. The bathroom was lovely with the heated floor and I loved the big tub after a day skiing but the water in the shower did take 5 min to heat up. A heated towel rail would be a nice edition! We slept very well all week.
We used the shuttle everyday and found all the drivers to be so helpful. If they didn't supply this I'm sure not as many people wud stay. We liked being out of the village and heading in for the day/ evening and coming back at night!
We used the cure lounge on many occasions and loved sitting on the sofas in front of the fires. The tomato soup was amazing. One lady I think it was Amy or Emily was very helpful and friendly.
We had breakfast one morning in aura which was lovely but a lot of the time we were grabbing on the go.
We didn't eat a meal in there as we headed into the village most nights.We enjoyed the Mexican corner and earls. We visited the Scandinavian spa which was lovely and used the hot tubs in the hotel on several occasions.
We had booked our skiing through the hotel and took lessons on whistler blackcomb. We only did this for 3 days so if I was there just to ski maybe staying in the village would be more convenient but we loved the setting of the lodge.
We want to now visit in the summer!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JanineKingsLynn
Parksville
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Spending Christmas with family from overseas at the Lodge was extra special. We loved the Studio lakeside rooms as prices were high over the holiday period ~ spacious yet cozy w/ mini-kitchen facilities, all we needed really. The complimentary nutritious breakfast served in the dining room was top notch. I love the fact that there is NO room service. I love the fact that this hotel is unique, away from the melee (esp. at Christmas) & not a boring monolithic corporate structure. These folks genuinely care & go out of their way to accommodate your needs. Attentive, kind & patient, as always. Complimentary shuttle was invaluable to our group so thank you Nita Lake crew, we shall return yet again!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Marilyn,
Thank you so much for your review. We are glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed your Christmas at the lodge.
I was an absolute pleasure to welcome you back to the lodge- it is so nice to see friendly faces come back again and again!
Looking forward to seeing you again soon!
Kindest Regards,
Reviewed 28 December 2013

This is a relatively nice hotel but there were so many things that were not OK:
1-pulled up with a load of luggage in a van to the front door and there was no porter or valet. We had to go into the hotel to look for one and request help unloading.
2- the two bedroom suite is poorly laid out. The living area was inadequate as was the kitchen area. The room was not ready and we went and bought provisions only to find a tiny frig with no freezer. My mistake for not getting better details ahead of time but every two bedroom suite we have stayed in in ski resorts have had full kitchen dining areas.
3- no door or privacy on master bedroom which is contiguous with the living area.
4- no drawers for storage, none, no place for all those ski clothes and accessories.
5- no in-room dining "we don't have enough staff". That was a first in a full service hotel at this level.
6- inadequate spa. The quiet area before the massage is in the same room with the mani pedi people so while relaxing waiting for a massage you had to listen to all the ongoing activity of that. The men's area was too tiny for two men to be in there at once. I had to squeeze by a guy getting dressed to get to the single toilet. There was one sink. This spa was clearly a poorly executed afterthought because ski hotels need to have spas. If you are looking to relax in a spa forget this place. I did have two excellent massages with Victoria and Wayne though.

But worst of all: they are not convenient to skiers. Creek side village is not easily walkable from the property and there is not much there. They offer a locker in a horribly lit basement room that is reminiscent of an institution or school and not at all comfortable. You are dependent upon a shuttle that runs only every half hour to get to skiing in whistler village or creek side. This is not convenient. One morning when we arrived at 8:25am for the 8:30 shuttle and found that it was filled and we were happily told there would be another along at 9:00. We were to meet our guide at 8:45. I was extremely aggravated and took it out on the front desk until they called a cab at there own expense to take us. We still had to wait. It was an appropriate response but the aggravation really caused a very poor start to the day. I was clearly angered and told them I wanted to check out and find another accommodations because their system was inadequate.

I was surprised and astounded when I got a call from the general manager upon walking into my room after skiing. She apologized for the poor service and said that it's clear that their hotel is not for everyone and that it was clearly not for us so that they would gladly refund the balance of our stay and find us other accommodations. We had already 3 nights there and 3 to go and to pack up and leave was too much with all the gear etc. but this offer was not generous and clearly tinged with "if you don't like it leave,please."

All in all this is a beautiful property poorly run and poorly staffed and not suited for a ski vacation.

1 Thank NYEYEMD2000
NitaGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Nita Lake Lodge, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Dear Sir,
Thank you for writing such a detailed review. Having comments such as yours really helps us to identify what had the biggest impact on your stay and how we can improve.
Again, we would like to sincerely apologize for your disappointment with your stay. We do pride ourselves on our quiet location outside of Whistler Village and understand that we are not the "ski-in, ski-out" property that some people prefer.
I do hope that you enjoyed your Christmas in Whistler- Wishing you and your family all the best for 2014!
Kindest Regards,
Nancy Steward - Guest Relations Manger - nancy@nitalakelodge.com
Kirkland
Reviewed 26 December 2013

plenty of open space, easy access to skiing/the village, walked the dog around the lake, the staff was friendly though not overbearing, will plan to return again this winter and possibly in the summer

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Wow - what a fabulous hotel, beautiful setting, quiet location and only a shuttle (free) from the slopes. From the moment we arrived and Sam took our bags, gave us all sorts of information about the hotel (a great employee) till 2 days later we had an amazing time. The lake view suite was beautifully appointed , roaring fire in sitting room, lovely bedroom with terrace overlooking lake and huge bathroom complete with huge bath and wet room. We were attending a wedding, and the library was decorated superbly, the ceremony was beautiful, cocktail hour brilliant and the dinner afterwards delicious . The whole weekend was perfection, thanks Nita Lake Lodge , we'll be back next year!!!!

Room Tip: Go for a lake view suite