“Dine In Whistler made the Aubergine Grille a great deal”
Review of Aubergine Grille - CLOSED

Aubergine Grille
Price range: US$20 - US$28
Cuisines: Contemporary, Canadian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hwy 99
Ottawa, Canada
“Dine In Whistler made the Aubergine Grille a great deal”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I had dinner with three colleagues in the Westin's dining room on the night before an on-site conference was scheduled to begin in mid-May, and then I had a late breakfast there alone the following morning. The dining room is large with high ceilings and stone walls filled with expansive windows. Although there are linen tablecloths and proper place-settings in use, the style of the restaurant makes it seem informal, rather than a real fine-dining locale. Like most patrons dining there that evening, our party of four was led to a square table angled along the exterior wall in front of a window that, in the dark, just looked out onto a patio seating area rather than to the distant mountains that I finally saw over breakfast. Our middle-aged server was friendly and attentive throughout our dinner. As we were visiting during the Dine In Whistler promotion, we were presented with a three-course menu for just $31 plus taxes and tip. I had the beet and mozzarella salad as a starter, which was fine but not terribly flavourful. One of the men in our party had the seafood sampler, with raw tuna and salmon prepared in different ways, which he enjoyed with great gusto. The second gentleman had the Caesar salad, which he deemed to be fine, but certainly nothing special. The other woman in our group ordered the oysters that were on offer that evening but only ended up eating one of the three or four that were served to her, as she found that they were too salty and metallic-tasting for her personal liking. Two of us then had the pork tenderloin for our main course, which was moist and delicious, served with a rich piece of perfectly-prepared pork belly. The generous portion of accompanying vegetables were fine but were, in my opinion, a bit undercooked. (I like my cooked carrots to immediately acquiesce and these ones still had quite a bit of crunch...) The salmon and beef tenderloin dishes ordered by the others were equally enjoyed. For dessert, we all had the maple crème brûlée, which came highly recommended by our server. It was just the right amount of dessert to offer a sweet ending to our meal, served with a tiny cranberry wafer. The space was often a bit loud for good conversation, particularly as the centre of the room filled up over the course of the evening, and the background music only seemed to add to the din. The waitress readily admitted that she couldn't recommend any wines from the list, but offered to find someone who could. We decided just to take our chances and ordered glasses of our favourite varietals without issue. Everything in tourist-centric Whistler can be quite expensive, so this dining deal just meant that we paid a reasonable price for a decent meal. At normal pricing, I think I would have ventured elsewhere in the village for some truly fine-dining. The following day, the breakfast buffet was filled with delicious offerings, from yoghurt and fruit to oatmeal to bacon and eggs, but it is probably not worth the $28 price tag if you are not a big eater in the morning. I would have no hesitation in going back to the Aubergine Grille when next in Whistler, particularly for another table d'hôte special.

• Visited May 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sydney
“Confused”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Restaurant is pretty ordinary in a town that has lots of good dining options. For the same price, you can do a lot better elsewhere. Given it is the flag of a Westin, I would expect better. Starter had absolutely no flavour (beetroot salad with tinned beetroot providing the only flavour). The main (duck) did but the vegies were completely raw. Service was good but somewhat impersonal and distant. The bread arrived just before the main and the waiter, while polite and friendly, made no attempt at conversation - a real difference from all the other places I ate at during my stay in town where the locals are really friendly.

The ambience is the real source of confusion. There are three types of furniture and while the service and style suggested casual formal, the skateboard shoes of one of the waiters suggested otherwise. The music playing over the sound system was completely out of place against the service and it was competing with the loud music from the bar next door which was similarly inappropriate (for the bar and for the restaurant).

Come on guys - you can do better than this - especially at these prices.

BTW, agree with other reviews - breakfast is great

• Visited June 2013
mitcfaw, Manager at Aubergine Grille, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Dear John,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. Though we're glad to see you enjoyed your breakfast at Aubergine, I must offer my sincere apologies for your experience at dinner. Great food quality, service and ambience are all an important part in a dining experience, and you have every right to expect that from us. You'll be pleased to know that we have plans for a full-scale redesign of the restaurant this fall, so I would like to invite you back to dine with us so that we can put our best foot forward. Please contact me at jeff.obrien@westinwhistler.com at your convenience.

Stay well,
Jeff O'Brien
Director of Outlets
Burnaby, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Two Times GREAT - Third to Come ...”
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Week of May 19-26, 2013 - enjoyed our first two times at Aubergine Grille, dining with guests each time. All of us were most pleased with the experience - excellent food and very attentive service. The Seafood Tasting Appetizer turned out to be an amazing surprise - that was followed by Steak Tenderloin by the majority of our party - EXCELLENT - cudos to Chef Scott Robertson and kitchen staff. The outstanding dessert was the Chocolate Espresso (?) with brandied sour cherries (?) - terrific! Restaurant Mgr (Director of Operations), Jeff O'Brien should be recognized for leading the serving staff in aiming for excellence - his wine suggestions were spot on. Keep up the excellent work. We look forward to returning on our next visit to Whistler - hoping for sooner rather than later.

• Visited May 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Food was wonderful (I had the salmon and my husband had the short ribs), service was amazing and great atmosphere. Invited our friends over from another hotel and they've been to Whistler before - they said it was one of the best restaurants on the mountain...delicioso! :)

Visited March 2013
Squamish, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Splendid Breakfast Variety”
Reviewed 29 March 2013

The ambience was perfect for a healthy breakfast for the family.There was quite a variety on the breakfast buffet which was complimented by some great cooks.

Visited March 2013