“Foodie Fav, Continental disappointement”
Review of Edgewater - CLOSED

Edgewater
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 August 2013

If top drawer, Upstairs service is more important than the food and the view, go to Araxi - I usually do. Araxi has great food and service. Since we usually come to Whistler to ski, we eat in the Village, but since it is summer we ventured further from the Village.

If fabulous organic food, unsurpassed views of Green Lake and the mountains and ample portion sizes are more important than the Village scene - then you might have overlooked the Edgewater, we have, and I have been coming to Whistler since 1971. We shared the salads and entrees, switching at half time as we both wanted each item below, but only had appetite for one salad and entrée each. I am writing this, but expressing the comments of the love of my life of 35 year's as well.

Tonight was a slow Thursday night in the restaurant, so it could be the kitchen had time to do their magic, regardless we had a memorable meal.

The service was personal, enjoyable and helpful. Our server was from Pemberton, so a nice person with real people skills, knows the area and likes people, but not slickly dressed, officious and crisp (no black slacks/top and white apron). She was the only server only server, 7 tables! We never lacked for attention or waited for drink or food. She added to our evening and others enjoyed her service as well. It is easy to hear interactions in a small setting.

The restaurant is midcycle in the need for remodeling and updating, So very nice, but not like a new property. This is a lodge, not glam spot. Clean and well maintained.

If food your main passion, then this is the place. The Mixed Artisanal Greens Duck Confit, Truffle Dressing, & Crispy Shallots was PERFECT! The shallots were crisp, NOT battered and deep fried. The duck confit, best yet (Café Mambo in Paia, Maui is second place). The salad greens were well presented and the greens were kissed with zest of a balanced dressing, not slathered and crushed with sugary corn starch mess or over powered with a salty oil and balsamic vinegar blend.

The pounded tuna and prawns were lovely, off set with the fennel and watercress. The portion size of the greens was small, but fresh, crisp, expertly prepared. Very tasty.

The braised lamb shank fell off the bone. The braise stock had a mélange of tasty seasonings in the olive oil that I loved - I eat lamb 1 a week a least and this was great!.

The roasted venison loin ordered medium came out medium rare to the rare side. The biggest shock was that it could be cut with a fork. The second biggest shock was that the flavor and texture were superb. I always order lamb and venison medium as most cooks under cook it and it is rubbery. The presentation was nice on the plate, but the rare center of the meat was visually troubling to look at (thinking bubble gum) but was a delight to chew and savor. Had it been cooked truly medium it would have been over done. My compliments to the chef.

The Orange Vanilla Crème Brulee was stellar, and I can't abide most restaurants attempts at this simple dish. It was more yellow that I have ever seen, but a natural egg yolk color, not a yellow/orange food color yellow. Maybe the chef used eggs from chicken eating in a real pasture and not raised in a factory?

The Cheesecake did not meet my expectations of New York style - When I read New York cheesecake I expect 1 3/4" or higher piece of cake that is crumbly to the dry side with a crust that doesn't break when I put my fork to it. The crust was hard and a little thick, and the cheesecake was not "cake" but more like slightly thick sour cream. Alright, I ate the whole thing and not a crumb was left, but still - not my idea of a New York Cheesecake.

I often hear of great chefs leaving the city, but they are often just burned out and off their game, but Patrick Fortier is a talented Executive Chef of the Edgewater Restaurant who exceeded my expectations today.

So this is a continental disappointment because the form of continental decorum is lacking - "the pish posh is not tip top" but thank you for my best meal in Whistler, and I have been eating in Whistler since 1971 and I suspect other foodies will love your offerings.

Cheers!

1  Thank KirklandHiker

Reviewed 19 July 2013

My wife and I booked a reservation here after reading some very positive reviews here and elsewhere. We thought the place was very pretty, and the drinks and desert were as good as we've had almost anywhere during our trip. The salad and soup were maybe a b minus... so not bad, in fact tasty...just not memorable. We both ordered the steak which turned out to be a mistake in our opinion. I would have to rate the entree below average to be honest. I think other entrees may have been a better choice, but I would certain discourage anyone from spending their hard earned money on a steak here when you can easily do this meal yourself with ease at home and have a better result.

Again, I don't want this to sound negative as we had a very delightful evening and really enjoyed the place and the staff......just choose wisely on your entree as they are not universally strong.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

We had a lovely meal in this very intimate dining room/lodge. You can't get more tranquil than this place, dining inside the log house, or on the patio, overlooking Green Lake and Nicholas North golf course and of course Whistler mountains. The food was excellent and all veggies were very organic fresh. You must try their own smoked salmon appy. So good-- it tasted like MORE. We were lucky to arrive on last day of the Dine In Whistler promo. Amazing 4course meal for $39.95 Great place for a small wedding or special family dinner. When we come back next year, this will be the first reservation we will make.

1  Thank travelsome R
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Wonderful setting with great views of the mountains and the lake. Cozy and comfortable, away from the hustle and bustle of the village. wild salmon, venison and lamb were all first rate. Service was very good. We would return.

1  Thank Dan H
Reviewed 13 March 2013

located out of the bustle of the village in a tranquil lakeside location. charming and understated decor, food is yummy. definitely a good spot for a quite, relaxing dinner.