“A Taste of Eire in White Rock”
Review of Slainte By The Pier - CLOSED

Slainte By The Pier
Price range: US$8 - US$20
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Groups, View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Vancouver
“A Taste of Eire in White Rock”
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Once again we visited Slainte last Saturday night. The Home made soup, Guiness stew and Fish & Chips were hot and very tasty. Coupled with great entertainment from Dominick Heins on the piano, we had a wonderful evening. Looking forward to our next visit.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Northern Poet

Vancouver, Canada
“Enjoy a Tiny Splash of Wine for $9+ , an Embarrassment!”
Reviewed 10 December 2012

We would like to go back, but cannot as we feel were getting ripped off! It's the Tiniest Glass of Wine on the Planet! Enjoy a Tiny Splash of Wine for $9+, it appeared to be 4oz. [tried in the same size glass at home], technically should have been 5oz., anywhere else 6oz.+, rip-off, could have brought it in the tiny decanter, to show otherwise. A normal host/manager would open up a little on the wine, to perhaps save a customer who was about to drop $50 bucks, and call it their favorite eatery in White Rock. They could not care less. Here's the kind of review that stingy fingers will get you!

My hat off to the server who tried and the entertainment, soup was good as we tried to make the best of an embarrassment, but we will probably never go back...[ I say probably as the restaurant appears good otherwise], more people are entertaining/eating at home, at least you know what you are going to get!

• Visited October 2012
Jack S, Owner at Slainte By The Pier, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
We offer 5oz. and 8oz. glasses of wine. The reason that we offer a 5oz. glass is because 5oz. of wine equals one unit of alcohol and this encourages responsible drinking especially in regard to driving. It is the standard wine measure throughout the World (as you get 5 measures from a bottle) and it is becoming more common in BC.
It is illegal to pour any more into a glass than is stated for the same reason. The customer must be aware how much alcohol they are receiving, giving a little extra would be very irresponsible and we would be liable under current licensing laws. That is why my staff use a measure to pour every alcoholic beverage in my restaurant however it is of course possible that you did not receive a full measure but it would have been by error and would not have been intentional. I would like you tounderstand that I did not set up a restaurant so that i could rip customers off 1oz at a time. It is my mission, through excellent food, friendly service, a welcoming atmosphere and all round value that customers will return. I would like to offer you a bottle of any one of our house wines in the hope that you will return and judge us in the context of the overall experience as I gather from your review that you were not displeased with our food, service and entertainment.
The cost of our wine is set by the quality of that wine. We have an Argentianian Sauvignon blanc and malbec for just below $9. These are both 89 point wines and you could expect to pay a lot more for comparable wines in most other restaurants. Our wine mark-up is actually less than WhiteSpot's and i really do not consider our beverages to be expensive and we are certainly in line with most, and priced below many of our neighboring restaurants.
I am sorry if you were short poured on your previous visit, it certainly would not have been intentional and i sincerely hope that you will take advantage of my offer. I also apologize for taking so long to reply to your review.
Airdrie, Canada
“Great food & super friendly hosts!”
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Clean, warm, homey, and relaxed. Great food, amazing staff and the best beer in White Rock! They go to the extra mile and really care. Loved it!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank PaulMelD
Vancouver, Canada
“Surprise lunch”
Reviewed 19 November 2012

After catching a very warm Fall day and walking the promenade, we stopped in for lunch and had a very pleasant 90 mins or so, sitting in the sun on the patio and enjoying two different, tasty dishes (chicken pot pie and beef stew). Good value. We'll be back.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank John P
Edmonton, Canada
“Some of the best food I've had!!”
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Great service, great food, great ambience(dinner time, quiet music, very relaxing and def not trashy pub feel), great location!
Being from Edmonton, I'm sad that it will be some time before I can eat here again.
Had fish chowder to start.....WOW! So good, great dill flavor, nice creamy but not too creamy broth, potatoes and carrots so fresh and full of flavor you'll wonder how you can ever eat store bought veggies again. Shared a bowl with my mother. Wanted to lick the bowl after! So good.
Beef stew so full of flavor as well. Tender beef and lots of it, more of those great potatoes.
Nice home made soda bread, bit of a different taste, kinda mildly sweet but a great companion for the chowder and stew.
So sad to not be able to try the rest of the menu any time soon.
Very good service from Kerry, as well, personable, friendly and helpful.

1 Thank reachkarebear