“Not a good choice, especially if you don't look hip”
Review of Ocean Beach Lounge - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Dining style: Casual Dining
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed 30 August 2013

My wife and I spotted an empty table for two on the outer edge of Hemmingway Public House deck on a late August weeknight. Perfect spot for a dinner to celebrate our 26th wedding anniversary, or so we thought. The waitress/hostess told us to take a seat at the table and she'd get it cleaned. Before we could sit down though, another waitress told us to hold off until they had a chance to clean it. So we stood back and waited, for about five minutes, until someone cleaned the table. At last, we thought. But before we could sit, another waitress (or was it one of the original two? don't know, my head was spinning) stopped us -- the table was intended for another couple, she said. We watched as two people materialized and quickly sat down. We stood awkwardly while the waitress pointed us to a distant table and quickly disappeared. After trying to figure out what had just happened (and unsuccessfully looking for someone to talk to about it), we left and were welcomed up the street at another restaurant, which was happy to seat and serve us. We had heard the whispers that the Ocean Beach, since rebranding itself Hemmingway's, was trying to attract a younger, hipper crowd than the typical White Rock restaurant. The couple that got "our" table were in their 20s; my wife in I in in our late 40s and early 50s. I think the whispers might we right.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

Now called Hemmingway's. We moved tables after a sip of drink and had to 'settle our bill' with one waitress. So archaic! The romaine lettuce was browning on the edges, the salad dressing was bland and was obviously from a jar and the teriyaki chicken was devoid of chicken! The waitress told me they weigh the chicken and it was the right amount! Pathetic. She gave me the bill and said "there ya go"...what an awful way to thank customers for their patronage! I will not go back.

1  Thank Rob H
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Great atmosphere, good specials, every table has a view of a tv.
The Nachos with beef shortrib are always excellent.
Try the 'Three Bols' shooter, you won't be disappointed.
It gets packed on weekends, reserve a table if you want a good seat for the ppv

Reviewed 7 June 2012

we had lunch at this restaurant, it was nice sitting outside, looking at the ocean. the service was good, food good, portions large and price reasonable.

2  Thank Chester H R
Reviewed 16 April 2012

The Ocean Lounge is situated at a good location at Marine Drive. The view is excellent, beer not bad. We did not like the loud music sitting outside, but other ones might enjoy. Bikers frequent the premesis. Service was good.

1  Thank strandman46