“Worst service I've had in a long time”
Review of Cielo's Tapas and Oyster Bar - CLOSED

Cielo's Tapas and Oyster Bar
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: White Rock Pier
Vancouver, Canada
“Worst service I've had in a long time”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My fiance and I went to Cielo's for our date night and were very excited as we used to go here all the time and loved it. When we saw they had a Group-on we thought it was the perfect opportunity to go and see if it was still the same great place.

First of all the service was terrible. Our first round of drinks just sat at the bar while the bartender was texting on his cell phone. The waitress brought out our appetizers and our drinks were still sitting up at the bar. The waitress throughout the meal did not clear our plates until we piled all the empty plates on top of each other and pushed them to the side as a hint, and this happened at each course. Next, we were not asked once if we enjoyed our meal or needed anything. The Halibut wellington was TERRIBLE! I have had better microwaved fish sticks from the grocery stores. Not only was it soggy but it tasted like old, rotten fish and was definitely frozen and re-heated. Not what I would expect from this type of restaurant. One bite each and that was all we could stomach.

It was a huge disappointment and we will not be going back. There are plenty of other restaurants I would prefer to spend my money at.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank Laura J

White Rock
“Glad I returned”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I hadn't eatin in Cielo's for about 6 years as I had tired of the decor, the food and in general the ambiance or lack of. So with two friends I deceided to give it another try and am I ever glad I did. The food is more a tapas style with a very good selection and generous portion sizes. We had the mushroom risotto, the lamb pops and the bruschetta. The food was outstanding. in addition the ambiance inside was warm and welcoming with seating that more befit a tapas style restaurant and this along with a very welcoming server made for a very pleasant eating experience. I will definitely return.

1 Thank cammer10
Edmonton, Canada
“Disappointing!”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

A funky restaurant but constricted in space. Felt like we were on top of each other.. Limited service..slow...slow....slow...we ate a variety of tapas and found out the chef likes balsamic. It is usually a favorite with me. I love the sweet and tangy taste of balsamic but not at this retaurant. The chef was very heavy handed and the dishes came out swimming in it so that is all you tasted. Should of had the ceasar salad.. Personally I would not recommend this restaurant..

2 Thank MSL52521
Richmond, Canada
“Friday Night Out with Friends”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We went to this restaurant with another couple to make use of a gift certificate.

We made a 6:30 reservation through the “Open Table” reservation system.

Cielo’s is a small restaurant with 12-15 tables with bar seating and 4 pub style tables. It is located on Marine Drive along with the other numerous restaurants.

We arrived a few minutes before 6:30 and there was only 3 or 4 tables occupied. By the time we left the restaurant, it was full with no line ups.

We ordered the following to share:
• ‘Famous’ Bruschetta (we had free tapas coupon)
• Risotto - $10
• Steamed mussels - $15
• Seafood cakes with arugula and Feta cheese watermelon salad - $20
• Calamari - $15
• Prawns and scallops skewers $21.50

The dishes I liked the best were the bruschetta and the risotto.

The seafood cake was a little dry even with the remoulade. There wasn’t enough remoulade to go with the seafood cakes. I should have asked for more remoulade! The combination of the sweet watermelon and the saltiness of the feta cheese is a great combination!

The battered calamari was not crispy – very disappointing. My friend, who is in the restaurant business, commented that the dark brown colour of the battered calamari was possibly due to not frequently changing the frying oil.

The mussels and the seafood skewers were okay but nothing to rave about.
However, one of the spouses really enjoyed the mussels.

Because there were 4 of us, the server “upsized” our seafood cakes and seafood skewers to 4. I believe the charge for the extra portion was around $5 or $6.

The lighting was not good - a little too dark in my opinion. As the restaurant filled up with mostly a younger crowd the noise level went up accordingly. I have no problem with the crowd noise just the lighting.

There was no water service until we requested it. I could be wrong but I thought it was ‘normal’ practice to have bring water once the guests are seated or the server asks the customers.

We ordered a $48 bottle of wine and by chance I checked the label. It was a good thing I did as the server brought us the wrong one! I don’t drink much wine but at other restaurants, the server would show the bottle of wine to the customer before opening.

The food arrived in a timely manner. The service as it relates to ordering extra food or paying the bill could have been better. Deciding we wanted to order more food – the calamari, I could not find our server and finally after a few minutes we were able to get her attenion. Much the same scenario when asking for the bill except I had to flag down another server for the bill.

With a $48 bottle of wine, a glass of beer ($6.50) and a margarita (($9) our total bill came to $158 before tips.

In my opinion, the overall food experience – food, service, atmosphere, at best is 2.75-3.00 out of 5.

I won’t be going back anytime soon as it far away and the food is very average in my opinion. However, it should be noted that after dinner we walked outside to check out Cielo’s neighbhouring restaurants. Those restaurants were mostly empty and not full like Cielos’s.

Notes & Tips:
• The last time we were in South Surrey/White Rock we had dinner at the Washington Avenue Grill because we couldn’t get into Cielo’s. See my Washington Avenue Grill review.
• Metered street parking
• There’s also a parking lot across the street - $1.50 per hour

• Visited February 2014
Surrey, Canada
“A Fun Lunch!”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My long time friend and I checked out a few blocks of restaurants and chose this
for the Tapas idea.
Informal, friendly, terrific choices of tasty foods,served with cloud and class.