“Awesome fishing - Wouldn't go anywhere else”
Review of Gods River Lodge

Gods River Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manitoba
Gods River Lodge
Ranked #74 of 138 Speciality Lodging in Manitoba
Reviewed 17 March 2010

Short review. The fishing is THE best you could ever hope for. The Laker I posted was 42" and probably 35 lbs. That particular day it was in the 40's, and raining all day. Our guide had no problem taking us out even though most of the guests decided against going out it waas so bad.

The rooms are nothing special but spacious enough to sit around and have a few beers. There is a wood burniong stove in the cabin so I do not know why the other guy did not have heat.

The fly out to Semmons is a must at least once in your limetime. Me and my buddy caught over 100 northern that day. We had 10 masters between us (over 42'). We must have had 30 or more that were over 40" but below the master limit. I caught a master on my first cast. Absolutley incredible.

The brook trout fishing is world class. Check the manitoba records and most of the masters are caught on God's lake each year. You'll get them as big as 20" to 25" or even bigger. Crazy.

The guides, and all of the Indians for that matter, are very quiet and non talkative, they seems almost depressed. you would too if you lived 300 miles form the nearest road and had only four month of tolerable weather. they were by no means mean or angry at the customers. That just how they are so deal with it.

The fishing overshadows any minuses. We'd even go out after dinner for 3 hours for a $20 tip from each of us to the guide.

Bring a carton of cigarettes with you. A few packs a day given to the guides is much appreciated.

I've been there twice and I will not go anywhere else. Alswo, unlike the other review, there were may other people that were repeat customers while we were there. Also, God's lake is definitely in God's Country. The lake is absolutely beautiful.

Oh, and the pic below in which we have $2 rainsuit on, American Airlines lost our luggage (and tackle) so we went ot Walmart at 4 am and got Snoopy poles and a few lures. We caught our 6 am fly in to camp. Those walleyes were caught before noon after about a little over two hours.....with snoopy poles and in a little rain. This place will not disaapoint if you are a true fisherman.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
4  Thank Scarab29
Reviewed 3 September 2008

A group of 7 spent 7 great fly fishing days at this lodge. We each had separate rooms with separate baths and shared a common living room. These accommodations equalled or exceeded those we have had at other far northern lodges.The main lodge was a short walk away and was modern/rustic. The meals were excellent and the staff friendly and courteous.We were accompanied on the trip by the rep. from Winnipeg and he guided us through the settling in process perfectly.We were on the water fishing the first day by 11:00 AM and stayed until 6:00PM.The lodge is owned and operated by members of the Cree nation and their culture is such that they are somewhat shy which can be mistaken for surliness, but
we quickly developed a respect for their understanding of their environment.The guides knew little about fly fishing,but knew exactly where the fish were.We caught many "trophy" Brook Trout and Northern Pike. This is virgin territory for fly fishing . I would strongly recommend this lodge and its accommodations to anyone interested in unspoiled fishing . The lodge manager,James McKay,was particularly helpful and spent much time with us at dinner giving us info. on the area and its history.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank streamer8
Reviewed 24 June 2007

God's River Lodge is located on famous God's Lake, located about 360 miles north east of Winnipeg. My dad and I headed there for a fishig trip and were excited about the prospect of huge Walleye and monster Northern Pike.

We weren't disappointed--it was the best fishing of our lives. We each recorded master anglers in walleye (28") and northern pike (41"). I would definitely go back to fish God's Lake, however, not while staying at God's River Lodge.

Although the main lodge was modern with a large eatning area, an upstairs rec room with a big sceen TV and room for card games, the indivdual cabins were terrible. For a group of two, the rooms were tiny (two beds and a dressor and no room to turn around). They were in horrible shape with doors that did not close, no heat (When the temp dipped to 32 degrees) and not well kept.

As we took the flight tho the lodge I asked many of the people in our group if they had been to the lodge before. The answer was "NO" from everyone. Strange, I thought. No repeat customers during the Spring--one of the most popular times to fish in Canada. But once I arrived, I understood why no one would come back. The personal service by the native indians who own and operate the lodge was shocking. No directions when we arrived as to where to go for the orientation. No smiles or "welcome to God's River Lodge". As a group we sort of wondered into the lodge and waited, and waited and waited.

Finally the "general manager" came in and gave us a synopsis of the day's events, which was a rambling mess that included that we should all consider their fly-out package for $375 to a lake where big fish could be caught. Apparently there weren't any on God's Lake, as he mentioned the group before us had a terrible time catching Masters. Way to get us all pumped up for the trip.
We didn't get on the water until 11:00 AM the first day and came in promptly at 5PM. Add two hours for shore lunch and we fished for about 31/2 hours the first day of a four day trip. We left Winnipeg at 6AM with the idea of being on the water at 9AM and getting an extra hour on the lake the first night--or so the brochure said.

Each morning our waitress poured coffee and served breakfast with no eye contact, no smiles and no "good morning." My dad and I felt as though we were a burden to the Indians who owned and operated the lodge.

As we got to know the other fishermen in camp, they all had similar feelings of the staff. The atmosphere was derpessing and had it not been for terrific fishing, the experience would have been a total loss.

There are three other lodges (family owned and operated) on God's Lake and I will definitely look into those should I decide to venture to northern Manitoba again.

28  Thank Travelor5