“Dated and Dirty”

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Brandon
Winnipeg, Canada
“Dated and Dirty”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The rooms were supposedly "updated" but they were very dated. Furniture and carpet was worn down and hard on the eyes. There is no elevator in this hotel so no wheelchairs! As soon as you walk in you see staff in extremely overwashed and eyesore uniforms. (I would recommend this hotel spend some money on some little updates.) Our sofabed in the room was very dirty with food crumbs and a pocket knife (imagine if my toddler found that first??)
When I made my reservation I indicated a feather free room. When i got there, it felt to me that the pillows and duvet had feathers. Since my allergies are really bad, I consulted with the evening staff. Evening staff was unaware if the room did not have feathers, but when she came up she agreed with me that there WERE feathers in the pillow and duvet. I had to remove everything and my family was expected to sleep without a pillow. (Lucky for me, I had packed some in our car because we were on our way to camping.) When I asked what we were to do if I did not have pillows, she basically told me she didn't know.....I was very disappointed with this answer. So we had no duvet or pillows in my room. The evening staff did bring me some extra very thin blankets and offered to change our rooms because of the sofa bed. We were already unpacked and came from a long day with a toddler, so we did not have the energy to move after my child was so exhausted. It wouldn't have changed the blanket and pillow problem, just the knife problem.

In the morning I was told by the manager that there rooms are featherless. So my question is, why does all staff not know this, as the evening staff did agree with me that there were feathers in the quilt and pillows....The manager, Darlene, did not seem to think it was a problem that there was a knife in our dirty sofa and that we would have been made to sleep with out pillows if I did not bring them. It was my fault that the pillows felt like feathers....? Not happy about this customer service either.

The only redeeming quality about this hotel was the free breakfast in the morning. Scrambled eggs, bacon, muffins, pastries, bagels, toast, creamcheese, waffles, juices, coffee/tea, cereals, apples and bananas.

I would recommend spending an extra $20 and staying somewhere nearby. I was also led to believe there was a pool in this hotel, and there is not. There is a Best Western nearby that is supposed to be awesome, as well as a Super 8.

Room Tip: Don't go here.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
GeneralManagercn236, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and again we truly apologize for your negative experience with us.
Our property was renovated from top to bottom in May 2013 and we are happy that you did enjoy our breakfast to make your day a bit better.
Our housekeeping standards have been revisited with my Team regarding the dirty sofa bed and I have also ensured all our newest members of our Team are aware that we do not carry any feather products whatsoever for the very reason that our guests may be allergic to them. All of our prillows and duvert's are microfibre products.
We deeply apologize about this incident and the impression it has left on you. We do hope you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves on a future visit thru our City.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This hotel has been all renovated and now serves a hot breakfast which is really great. The staff at the hotel was very friendly and was very accommodating. Darlene -- the manager - is a great ambassador for the Comfort Inn chain and went out of her way to make sure that our stay was a great one. Thank you Darlene.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank June1000
Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay with us here in Brandon. We are happy to provide some great service to our guests!
We do hope to see you on your next visit.
Grand Marais
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Travelling to winter in BC, this was our first hotel stop on the way. The hotel is conveniently located to the #1 TransCanada Hwy. The desk staff are friendly & accommodating. The first room we were assigned smelt like smoke & the clerk graciously transferred us to another room. There is a "pet area" easily accessed from the room. The room was clean but the beds were too firm & not in keeping with Choice Hotels. I've stayed in many different Choice Hotels in the past & always had a great comfortable sleep but not in Brandon. I felt like I was sleeping on a sheet of plywood. The breakfast was good & the breakfast room clean.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank 21franc
GeneralManagercn236, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to respond to an online review of our Hotel. Feedback is important to us and ensures we are providing quality service to our guests.
Our apologies on the firm beds- we are constantly upgrading our products and look to feedback such as yours when we make purchasing decisions.
We do hope to see you again in the future and thank you once again.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Needing to be in Brandon for a family function for one night I based my decision to stay at the Comfort Inn almost solely on price but should've looked further as this property really has more going for it than price alone.

The recent renovations have brought the rooms, especially the bathrooms, up-to-date and contemporary so for the price of not much over $110 including tax booked on short notice consider the hotel a very good deal.

The breakfast room was large and clean & new and offered so much choice I ate a larger than average breakfast and had a smaller lunch. Great value added inclusion I appreciated.

There were two small things to mention that could affect your stay to some degree. The first is there is some noise from the TransCanada Highway that's directly in front of the hotel, though it was luckily not loud enough to affect my stay but loud enough to be heard at night. The other is there is no elevator so any guests with rooms on the 2nd floor with mobility issues have to manage a flight of stairs from the lobby.

Lastly the staff were very friendly and that adds to the overall value of the hotel and were I to find myself back in Brandon I'd definitely consider the Comfort Inn again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank tcook052
GeneralManagercn236, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 30 September 2014
Thank you so very much for taking the time to complete this on line review. Our team very much appreciates the feedback and keeps us up to date with our future needs and requirements. We do hope you wil come again and visit us one day! thank you
Riverton, Canada
Reviewed 1 October 2013

No pool or Hot tub, breakfast wasn't much to call home about. Room smelled like a smoking room. I complained but they said it was from people standing in the patio door way and it goes i the room. Asked for a plastic fork from the breakfast area ......no we cant give them out????? Not very good customer service. Rooms were ok but not for the price and no extras.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
GeneralManagercn236, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us here in Brandon Manitoba.
We do apologize for any inconvenience regarding the smoke odours. As a 100% smoke free hotel we do try our best to ensure all of our guests uphold this policy.
We have taken your information regarding the utensils and now keep a supply for guests on hand. Once the breakfast room is closed, our staff do not have access to supplies so this should help.
Once again thank you for providing us with your stay and we will try to do better next time.

Travellers are raving about these Brandon hotels

Regina
Reviewed 30 September 2013

The hotel was clean our room had direct access to our car was convenient.
The breakfast was good with some hot items. Bed was comfortable with nice linens.
The staff was pleasant and lobby and grounds neat.
There was old World War 2 training air plane as well as an antique steam engine in front of the hotel which was interesting.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dawn A
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at our hotel. We appreciate that you found the hotel clean, comfortable and direct patio door access to your room.
As a newly renovated hotel our Team is very excited to hear comments such as yours and we do hope you had a chance to take a tour through the museums which we showcase the World War 2 Bollingbroke Airplane and the Case Steam Engine www.airmuseums.ca or www.ag-museum.mb.ca
Please do stop in again and thank you again!
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Stayed at this property for 9 days in August for the Canadian Arabian National Horse Show. The property was in the process of being redone. It is a typical Choice Hotel. Blindfold you and drop you in one and you might not know what city you were in. Having said that, while the place was comfortable, the people made the place. The front desk, the breakfast people and the maid service men and women were fantastic. All very helpful, smiling, basically would do whatever to make you stay a good one. The rooms are very large. The property is right off of Hwy 1; so very easy to find and not far from everything. Breakfast was a normal Comfort Inn, like almost all have, but did have cooked, eggs, bacon or sausage, fruit, juices, etc. Had the Winnipeg daily paper daily available. Just a good place. But once again, it was the staff that made it for us.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank StonecreekArabians
Thank you so much for taking the time to complete an online review of our Hotel!

I was pleased that you found our property comfortable, clean and that you enjoyed a good night’s sleep and enjoyed the complimentary hot breakfast.

We do hope you had a great time attending the Canadian Arabian National Horse show and do hope to see you next year.

We will do our best to ensure you do have a good stay while in Brandon and we so appreciate your kind words on our Team - we will be sure and pass it on! Thank you once again