“Not gonna stayed again!”
Review of Trails West Inn

Trails West Inn
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Brandon
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Arrived with a big family group. Front desk overwhelmed with us, We have lots of kids loud and tired. While she approached us the way she talked is very rude her tone of voice like we don't know everything. Tell that one of our relatives had language barrier giving her a hard time to understand them. She's racist! Unfriendly and No Patient. She said that they are charging $10 each of the kids. Which is not in the booking@.com website. She don't know the difference of visa debit card asking for $100 cash deposit if your using your visa debit card. But one of her co- employee explain to her what is visa debit card. Very slow checking in, hidden charges, room 208 smelly, pool is dirty, ice cubes box is gross! Very disappointed! not gonna stayed on that hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank marikit043

Reviewed 23 January 2013

We went to that hotel during our last trip to Brandon, we were looking for a place for a future extended stay (more then a month long). After a few exchanged with the manager, we decided to stop for a visit. The evening that we showed-up, the manager was not on site, so we asked the person at the front-desk if she was aware of our visit and if we could see the two suites that we were supposed to visit. She was confused and seems like not-knowing anything, so a gentleman came to her help; He looked not too sure either; but agree to show us around.
Has we were walking to the corridors, we had that strong cigarettes smell all the way and a mixed of chlorine and mildew . They have old carpetting everywhere, no fitness center and the pool area is small and desperatly need some serious renovations.

We got to the bigger suite (big enough for a family of 4), they have almost all that a family could need for a long stay , it's not that bad and looked clean enough, but it was very dark (I would be depressed in a couple day).

After that visit we got to the other bedroom...are you kidding me? that's what I said the minute he opened the door. It was small, cramped (2 queen beds and against the wall another set of doubles or queen beds , bunk-beds) , a small working desk in the middle of that , with a mini-fridge and a mini-microwave-oven . Yes, the carpeting and the smell was very present in that room as-well. ( we wanted something to work, it's for a buisness trip, needed the space, the light, etc.)

Verdict: we have decided to make our extended stay reservations elsewhere.

I have to say before I end this critic that the Manager-Owner was very charming and nice, all the communications were very professional, so if you have to do a reservation at this hotel, I would not hesitate to contact the Manager directly to make the arrangements

Room Tip: A visit before agreeing on taking a room could save you a headache and regrets .
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 December 2012

My boyfriend & I had the pleasure of staying at the Trails West this past summer. The room was very clean, the bathroom spotless, and the food in the restaurant was always delicious. And what can I say about the staff ... never have dealt with such great people ! From the front desk, to the restaurant staff, the people working at The 40, Couldn't believe how well they all work together to make this hotel the best I've ever stayed in. We went on to visit the western provinces, then doubled back and once again stayed at the Trails West before coming home to Quebec. We actually hated to leave ! Looking forward to our next trip to Brandon, and another stay at the Trails West ! All I can say is 'Bravo' and thanks to all of you for a very memorable experience !

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pizzas1_12
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I arrived in Canada in October 2011 and decided to spend my Christmas holidays outside Winnipeg. It was my first time in Brandon, and my three days of vacation was just excellent -- made just so because Trails West Inn is a very good find. First, front desk staff were friendly and helpful, (also responsive to my emails). Second, the room is just what I wanted it to be -- clean, spacious enough, with flatscreen TV, coffeemaker, microwave, and ref, and lots of fresh white towels. Only downside is the intermittent wifi signals. Continental breakfast -- muffins, toast, and fruits, was reasonable. The restautant was closed due to holidays, and my friend and I had to eat at Surf and Trail, just across the hotel, another great find. There were two convenience stores just across the street. Farther down the street you'll have Starbucks, Subway, etc. Made my vacation indeed extra fun and enjoyable. Taxi from the Greyhound bus terminal to the hotel costs only $6. Would love to be back soon.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Weslu
Reviewed 23 December 2011

I have stayed at Trails West many times over the past 10 years. I have noticed some recent changes that made me inclined to write this review.

Firstly, they have updated the furniture (outside access rooms) and added new flat screen tvs! Please note they also have small fridges, coffee maker with coffee packet and microwaves in the room.

The lobby has recently been renovated as well as their restaurant, now called Bistro 40. The artwork in there is beautiful! The food is good-great... some neat things I haven't seen before. You should try the homemade soup, it was wonderful!

We go for drinks in The 40 when we stay. Happy hour pricing is $3.75! The steak sandwich special is awesome $5.95, the add ons are CHEAP in price and HUGE in size!!! They have live music and room guests go in for free. Last time we were here they had Big Sugar and Wide Mouth Mason playing. We had to buy tickets for the concert but it was so worth the money... the bands played for almost 3 hours!!!

The staff are always friendly and helpful. The last time we were in we learned that the pool area has a liquor license, so we got some beer (cans, no glass) from their on-site vendor and had a great time!

I laughed at some of the previous reviews... Buggy223 said the shower water burnt their kids. Why didn't you test the water temp before? Personally I think too many hotels don't have hot enough water. The hot and cold tap allows you to adjust the temperature to your liking. :-)

We have stayed at Trails West at least 20 times and have never seen a bed bug before!

Room Tip: The outside access rooms are great for loading and unloading. We've stayed in the Executive Kit...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank BondMcD007
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Absolutelt horrible. The shower water burnt our kids and rooms had bed bugs. All they did was offer a new room. Wouldn't even discount it for us. Horrible horrible horrible.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Buggy223
Heidi H, Manager at Trails West Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2012

We recognize that this issue is a potential problem every day, and do take it very serious. We as consumers have to remember that a hotel itself does not have bedbugs, it unfortunately is brought to the hotel either through luggage or clothes. Our hotel procedure is to immediately place a room suspected of a problem out of service. The rooms bedside and across are also placed out of service. Professionals are called in to evaluate the rooms and confirm or deny the presence of bed bugs. If the evaluation is negative to the problem we continue to leave the room out of service for a few days and then reassessed. In a positive case a room will be chemically treated and also baked at 140% to eradicate the issue completely. Unfortunately every small bug or beetle these days is a bedbug in the eyes of a guest. Regardless whenever there is a supected case we do the most responsible thing we can do for the comfort and safety of our guests.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one night. It was a bargain at about $80 (before taxes, etc). We were given coupons for breakfast and dinner in the restaurant at check-in (10 or 20% off, I can't recall), but we didn't end up using them as it closed earlier than we were prepared for. Might be of note to some travellers that while you can order food from your room, you have to go pick it up in the restaurant, there is no room service. This wouldn't be a problem except that our room was at the opposite end of the hotel, about a 5 minute walk. No way I'm doing that while carrying food trays.

The room was clean and livable but very basic, needs updating. Felt a bit like we'd gone back in time 20 yrs. Our room was icy cold when we arrived, so I went to the front desk and just caught the maintenance guy before he left for the day. Due to the time of year the furnace switch had already been turned off, but an unexpected blizzard rolled in that day, making it very cold. He flipped the switch and we warmed up in a jiffy. Could not get onto the free wireless internet no matter how hard I tried. Don't know why. Didn't want to bother so just went and used the free computer in the lobby for what I needed.

I wanted to check out the pool and waterslide, but after looking around I decided not to. Pool and waterslide are both quite small, and when I looked in it was quite busy with little kids. The pool area too could use a little updating.

This place has a huge bar space. I mean huge. Since it was still snowing like crazy we decided to check it out instead of driving anywhere else. It just so happened that they had a very good band playing, so we had a good time.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple