“An excellent place to stay in Churchill”
Review of Lazy Bear Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Churchill
Lazy Bear Lodge
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Churchill
Brampton, Canada
“An excellent place to stay in Churchill”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

It was the high ratings that led me to choose the Lazy Bear Lodge for my trip to Churchill and they are well deserved. The lodge itself has been built in phases, from logs and planks. The rooms are comfortable as are the beds; I had no trouble sleeping. The restaurant is excellent. It has a screened porch (some of the insects up here are ferocious) for dining outside when the weather is nice. Breakfast is an extensive hot and cold buffet: ham, sausage, bacon, eggs, omelettes, oatmeal, french toast, pancakes, four kinds of cereal, fruit, yogourt, pastries, bagels, breads, a coffee bar...are you getting the picture? If a good day starts with a good breakfast, then a lot of good days start here. Lunch and dinner were also very good.

I took two of the tours offered by the lodge: whale watching and the cultural tour. The whale watching includes a visit to the Prince of Wales Fort and time on the water admiring the whales. Our guides were excellent and I thoroughly recommend this tour. The cultural tour wasn't quite up to expectations; I was hoping to get a sense of what it is like to live up here, instead this was more of a local landmarks tour. Enjoyable, but not what I was wanting.

The staff at the Lazy Bear were a mixture of students and young adults from across Canada and further afar, which always makes for some interesting conversations.

If you are thinking of visiting Churchill, I certainly recommend it and I definitely recommend you stay at the Lazy Bear Lodge!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank gnb2501

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Niagara Falls, New York
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here recently ,we booked a few tours and had a good time on all of them. Our room was on the smaller size but gave us that "in the woods cabin feel." The staff was very kind, and since most of them worked every single day we were there, we grew accustomed to seeing them. Even the in house handy man was nice to bump into as he scurried through the halls with a hammer. The food was also very good, although sometimes we had to wait a little longer do to short staffing. The waitress however made up for the small inconvenience by being sincerely apologetic and very friendly. All of our waitress were quick to fill our coffees when needed and we enjoyed hearing their friendly voices and accents!
The town of Churchill itself is not a large town and there are not to many things to do if you do not have an adventurous side. Luckily my husband and I are very outdoorsy and were too tired after all our tours to have any boring down time. We thoroughly enjoyed our tours. Gereld took us on a Heritage Tour and you could tell he knew the town like the back of his hand. Even though he was not a born churchillian, you would have thought he was born and raised in Churchill. My husband loves old planes so seeing "Miss Piggy" was such a treat for him and Gereld was very knowledgeable and fun to have as a guide. He also told us about the dog sledding he runs and made us want to come back to Churchill next year if only to take the dog sledding tour through the snow. Although the tour was fun we enjoyed our encounters with the Beluga whales most. Not only did I personally get to touch a whale Kayaking I also got to float directly over one snorkeling. Our guides on the water were fantastic. We had Trent and Venessa for Kayaking. Trent was very charismatic, and gave us the impression of the "father figure" of our group, humorously enough his co guide Venessa took on the roll of "mother goose" taking up the rear of the group, assisting with kayaks, ensuring everyone was safe, and happy. My husband and I couldn't help but chuckle to ourselves because we felt as if we were two kids again on a family vacation. Joke cracking dad leading in the front, and ever watchful mom bringing up the back. The water was fantastic and surprisingly warm. The whales were everywhere and Trent did a great job of getting us right in the middle of it all.
We also did the snorkeling trip, although the water was a bit murky and the whales were a little scattered in the first portion of the tour, our guide Venessa made the best of the situation and half way through we changed her nick name from "mother goose" to "whale wrangler" as she navigated quickly to get us right in the middle of a huge pod and got us ready and in the water in seconds. The Snorkeling experience was very cool and although we couldn't see much with the goggles in the water, we were able to to get within an inch of the whales and watch as they came towards, under and around. What an experience!
We also met a few other guides in passing either by the docks or in the hallway, all greeted you with a smile and a friendly hello.

The wifi was not always working which was another minor inconvenience seeing that the main room with wifi was the lobby which was normally filled with people waiting for their tours. We enjoyed added touches like cookies and treats in the main lobby, a fire waiting for us after tours and friendly staff greeting us everywhere we went. Our only real complaint was the lack of communication about changes and tours and felt the front desk was a bit flustered.

All in all with great food, great staff and an airport pick up and drop off to boot, we really enjoyed our adventure in Churchill and would recommend it to all our friends and family.
Did I mention we saw a polar bear! Amazing !

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Soccer_Momma63
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our experience at the Lazy Bear Lodge in Churchill, in early August.This is clearly a labour of love for owners, Wally and Dawn Daudrich, who built lodge from the ground up and design the adventures that make the Lazy Bear an experience, not just a destination. Our room was comfortable and had all the basics. The daily breakfast was delicious, constantly refreshed and varied - even on our lazy day when we didn't arrive until 20 minutes before the end of breakfast, everything was fresh and still plentiful. No one at the Lodge will tell you this, but when you find out that a watermelon, in Churchill, costs $20, a gallon of milk $12 and a head of lettuce is $6.50, you get a real appreciation for the value that the Lazy Bear provides; the lunch and dinner menus are expansive and prices are very reasonable. The Arctic Char was amazingly good, the desserts delightful and the bruschetta... wow!
Once you've booked your visit, you'll receive a personalized information packet with all the details you need, including guidance on what to pack and some really nice Lazy Bear luggage tags. We had a couple of questions and had no issues on getting all the additional information we wanted by calling the toll free number.
The five tours we participated in were all different and it seems designed to give you a broad perspective on the people, the landscape, the history and especially the wildlife that this beautiful part of the world has to offer. The guides are extremely knowledgable and well-trained and the 'machinery' - from the huge Tundra trucks to the custom-designed Sam Hearne - were well-suited to maximize our experience while providing a good level of safety and protection.
One final point - not that shopping is the objective of a trip to Churchill, but do take the time to check out the merchandise that the Lazy Bear Lodge stocks - very good quality logo wear items, some very unique locally hand made ornaments and fantastic moccasins and mukluks from Cree-Ations.

Overall, an amazing 5 days for us - made that much better by the passion for the north, its wildlife, its people and a special way of life, that Wally and Dawn embody and encourage in their team. Well done - and thank you!!

Special thanks to Wally, Dawn, Edna, Judd, Vanessa, Tress, Colin, Emily and Jennifer for making our visit memorable. Thank you also to Marcel, Sara, Henry, and the fabulous folks in the kitchens and behind the scenes. We felt very well taken care of from the moment you met us at the airport until you saw us back there at the end of our stay. We WILL be back!! Niall and Patricia (Edmonton)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HappyInEdmonton
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The Lodge and rooms were clean and the restaurant service was great. The day tours were very well planned and the staff did everything they could to ensure a safe and exciting tour. Thanks to Tress, Colin, Vanessa and Wally for their excellent guiding!

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are quieter and more private.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Danielle D
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at Lazy Bear lodge. The staff are very friendly and they provide the extra touches such as freshly baked cookies or brownies and fresh fruit in the lounge every day as well as providing tea and coffee. We were sent really nice luggage labels before our trip and given biros with their logo on. We booked a package which included a night in Winnipeg before and after our trip and the flight to and from Churchill. A number of excursions were included. I particularly enjoyed the evening one up Hudson Bay where we saw the belugas in really clear water and a mother polar bear and two cubs swimming. We landed on an island and saw a further 5 bears. All very exciting!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The Lazy Bear Lodge is cute, cozy and a good base of operations for activities in and around Churchill. The rooms are spacious and basic. The offered free Wi-fi was unpredictable at best. It was available, but came and went unpredictably, and was not evident in the dining room at all. The best wi-fi location was the central "living room" that holds couches and a wood-burning stove. There were no desks to work at with your laptop (this is a problem for those of us who download our photos to our computers and then want a stable surface to edit or email photos out). I really would have wanted the dining room to be available 24 hrs so we could journal, have tea, or use our computers, but this area is buttoned up tight after 10pm.

I was informed that the included breakfast was offered from 6am to 9am. When I arrived the first day at 6am (I like to journal and leisurely get my day started over coffee), the doors were still locked to the hotel desk, logo-wear room, and dining room. As other people wandered down, they also confirmed they were told breakfast was at 6am. Finally, at 7am, the door opened. And we were told that because the hotel was not full, they didn't open the doors until 7am. Nowhere was this posted or communicated to the guests staying there. This continued the next three mornings, and I never did see a sign about this (I suggested to the desk staff that this be done). Our morning beluga whale watching tours started at 7:30 and we were to be ready to leave 15 minutes before that. Fortunately there was a coffee pot and tea pot in the living room, and I made numerous pots of coffee for the grumbling guests.

Service staff were (I think) all temporary/seasonal/summer employees; they were from all over the planet, and very nice, but not very knowledgeable and often gave incorrect answers to questions. They also were not very interested in working with you to book additional excursions, either through their offered programs or with another touring company. The food was good, although a bit overpriced. Having something available in the hotel was nice, and the included breakfast was good.

My room was never serviced in the four days/three days I stayed there, and I had to request a shampoo packet and garbage can liner from the young lady at the front desk.

Churchill, in general, seems to be feeling its way through being an increasingly popular eco-tourism destination, and I found that you really have to take the initiative to obtain tours and services, which ARE available if you ask around. The folks at Gypsy's are especially helpful in this regard.

Thankfully I am a very independent and flexible traveler, so saw and did what I wanted to see and do, including a second beluga whale tour with another company on a fine morning without fog.

I recommend purchasing souvenirs and postcards from other places, as the LBL sale items and logo wear is overpriced; postcards @ LBL were selling for 2-3x the price you would pay by walking next door to another store. I also recommend bringing with you any specialty food items, as anything in Churchill has to be either flown or trained in and is VERY expensive; I travel with no-additive peanut butter, and brought my own, and as a diabetic I have to plan ahead for sweetener, as no one carries non-additive stevia.

Overall, a good base for touring Churchill, but do not expect a full-service hotel or a well-trained and knowledgeable service staff.

Room Tip: Rooms in the rear have views of the flats and Churchill River in the distance.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Karen B
australia
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Well this is a return trip, so I went on a River Tour 2. One we ended up seeking and finding bears at Eskimo Point, Colin our Guide was wonderful, got up close and personal so to speak. Many photos taken. A part tour, the second part was a visit to the Fort, wow so historical, and one could see the Hudson Bay at its best, belugas, bears and plenty of different flowers, the Fire weed was blooming. I went on this tour twice, the second time Gerald our guide was wonderful and we were able to mingle and mix in with the Beluga Whales. I also went Kayaking with Lazy Bear and was able to again mingle and mix with the Beluga whales, the weather was a bit rough, but no one cared it was fun. A great twosome highly recommend, also add the kayaking trip to your bucket list, Very reasonable. Great way to fill in the days during your stay in Churchill MB in the SUMMERTIME.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo