“Wonderful house and host”
Review of The Columns

The Columns
Ranked #2 of 14 Winnipeg B&B and Inns
Johannesburg
“Wonderful house and host”
Reviewed 26 September 2010

West Gate is a very upmarket area with old mansions, some in need of maintenance, The Columns is one of these. April (our host) was very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. Henry Moore room was big with big bathroom and luxury finishes - the only problem was the noise from people moving around on wooden floors upstairs, and some corners looked like they needed a major clean. Breakfast was great, huge selection of healthy choices and April offered a different cooked option every morning.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Clinton, NY
Reviewed 13 September 2010

The Columns is a historic house with lots of dark wood, leaded pane windows, and furniture in keeping with the building's architecture. The innkeeper, April Kassum, was helpful and considerate and is a great conversationalist. I would love to stay here again!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 30 August 2010

This lovely B & B was the perfect place for our stay in Winnipeg. It was very well situated within the city which made it easy to get around from it's location. April is a fantastic host, very helpful and really fun to talk to. The Robert Bateman room was lovely and the bed was absolutely heavenly. After a great night's sleep we would come down to the most fabulous breakfasts...fit for royalty! April was very accommodating to our dietary needs as well.

The only downside to our trip was the city itself...very run down.. It was a rainy cold weekend and two of the restaurants we choose to eat at decided to close for the day without warning. Therefore, our room at the The Columns was perfect for curling up and watching a great movie with my hubby.

Thanks, April for making our stay so wonderfully comfortable.

The Nielsens,
Ottawa, ON

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Palo Alto, CA
Reviewed 31 July 2010

My wife and I found April Kassum to be a wonderful hostess and a fountain of local knowledge. She provided a bountiful and varied breakfast that exceeded expectations every morning. April is indeed a gourmet cook who could open her own very successful restaurant if she chose. The Columns has a large back yard deck and lawn which extends to the banks of the Assiniboine River. It was a pleasure to relax and read in this beautiful setting. My wife grew up and went to college in Winnipeg. We look forward to returning to Winnipeg and staying at The Columns at some point in the not too distant future.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 22 June 2010

We found April, the proprietor, to be honestly such a nice person! We felt like family. She went out of her way to help us out on a couple of occasions (really sweet and appreciated). She's an amazing cook and her breakfasts were simply divine! We weren't surprised to learn her and her husband cook as a hobby. The house is amazing! We had the Crystal Heeg Suite and it was pure luxury to us. So comfy! We like to pick our B&Bs so we are within walking distance to restaurants. This place is situated in a lovely neighbourhood with gorgeous houses. We were 15 - 20 minutes walk to a couple of very interesting neighbourhoods for restaurants, so we felt this place worked out perfectly for us for our visit to Winnipeg. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
toronto
Reviewed 4 December 2009

My family and I had the fortune to be able to spend the fial weekend of October at the Columns; we were in town for a family function and needed to be at a very central location. Our stay there really made our trop so wonderful! The place is a historic house located in a beautiful part of the city but do not be deceived by the word historic as the amenities are anything but historic! Our suite was beautiful,huge and considering the price ($150/day with breakfast) a real bargoon! The room was very comfortable; all the beds were a pleasure. At the same time the suite felt so stately. I kept imagining that this would be the kind of room the Queen of England would stay in! I have stayed in a lot of nice hotels; they paled in comparison to this place. The best part of the whole experience was the family who runs it! They were so warm and sensitive to our specific needs; our kids really took a big shine to them as well! In short, I would say if you are looking for an amazingly special experience to complete your trip in Winnipeg stay at The Columns! I can tell you that we will be staying there again on our next trip to Winnipeg!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
PEI
Reviewed 27 November 2009

I was recently in Winnipeg, as my daughter was playing in the Club National Soccer Championships for U - 16 Girls. I also took in a 2 day conference during my stay.

When looking for a hotel room I happened to stumble across The Columns in my search for accommodations. It was a true find; certainly much more enjoyable then a small, stuffy hotel room (and certainly not at this price).

I spent 6 nights and stayed in the Henry Moore Room. It was a lovely , big room with a large, comfortable bed, huge bathroom and private balcony. The room also offered a nice sitting/reading area, as well as work desk and access to wireless internet. Other amenities included private phone, flat screen TV & DVD (with a selection of movie titles), coffee maker, mini fridge and in room wall safe. It was also nice during a longer stay to be able to use the laundry facilities (including detergent and fabric softner).

As nice as the room was, my favorite part of the stay had to be the scrumptious breakfasts. In addition to a selection of fruits, cheese, cereals, breads, pasteries and the best yoghurt ever, there was a fabulous hot creation - something different everyday.

April is a wonderful hostess and goes above and beyond what I'd ever anticipated. I was greeted at the airport and chauffered to their home (even though my flight didn't get in until after 11 PM). The next moring, after breakfast, I was driven to pick up my car rental and then led to the soccer field to be certain I didn't get lost and ensue I arrived on time. They have the most extraordinary family, and you'll need to stay more than one night to hear of their varied interests, experiences and history.

I couldn't have had a better stay. It was everything I expected and more. My only disappointment is that my wife was not able to make the trip to share in the experience.

If I'm ever back to Winnipeg, I know who I'm going to call.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business