“Great Place BUT Abusing the PST Hike???”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Riverstone Spa (Inn at the Forks)
Ranked #3 of 31 Spas & Wellness in Winnipeg
Gimli, Canada
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Great Place BUT Abusing the PST Hike???”
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Clean, relaxing, great staff, lovely ambiance. BUT this one little detail spoiled the experience. To backtrack, I had received a gift certificate for Christmas 2012 and was thrilled to have the opportunity to try this spa. The lovely young woman at the reception area had the unfortunate responsibility of informing me that even though the certificate was purchased and paid in full in December 2012, 7 months before the PST hike, I now had to pay the additional monies upfront. Either this or lose the $160 in its entirety. The small amount is not the issue. The ethics of the situation is in question. Since the certificate was purchased in the hotel's 2012 fiscal or calendar year it would have been part of that year's revenue. This has nothing to do with the pst increase implemented in July 2013 to cover the expenses of the recent MB flood. From my perspective the decision to charge the additional monies is a blatant money grab. How unfortunate that such a reputable hotel would make such a miserly business decision.

Visited July 2013
7 Thank PatandHarv

Winnipeg, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Used to be a much better experience”
Reviewed 7 April 2013

My wife and I have been going to Riverstone Spa at Inn at the Forks for massages for a few years. It was always a very, very good experience. The decor of the lounge, the locker rooms, snacks, and the massage therapists, all great. Then, in the fall of 2012, the spa underwent renos and was closed for, as I recall, two months. We were super excited for the spa to open and booked appointments as soon as it reopen. Turned out to be a big disappointment. The lounge is not nearly as nice (in my opinion), the locker rooms are less than half the size (so they could add another one or two massagage rooms, the hour massage was reduced to fifty minutes, and the prices went up about 25%. There are a couple of positives: the therapists are still good, some very good, and the showers have great streaming water. It even seem they are cutting back on the snacks.

We were there today and there were cups, plates, and other garbage all over the lounge. And very little in the way of snacks. We don't go there to eat, but given the price increases, one kind of expects a little something. And, what I cannot figure out for the life of me is why they have such cheap shampoo and bodywash containers in the showers. It is maddening trying to use them.

I am sorry to say that today was our last visit. We are looking for a new place. A sad day.

Visited April 2013
4 Thank Tom S
Winnipeg, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“very disappointing experience”
Reviewed 29 March 2013

I have frequented all spas in Winnipeg and only visited Riverstone once in the first year it was open. It was a pleasant experience although nothing special, hence not my first choice to return to for any subsequent visits. Upon hearing of the recent renovation, I was curious to visit once again and decided for my Mom's 77th birthday to book us a massage . We visited on a weekday afternoon, as this tends to be less busy and more enjoyable. The receptionist showed us around upon our arrival. The change rooms are small and very warm as the sauna and steam room doors do not close properly and the heat escapes. The entire area is congested , as if too much is trying to fit into a space not able to contain it. You are at the spa to relax, not hurry to see how fast you can change and get out because of the heat.
You don a robe and wait in the lounge area. We had our massage and it was standard.
We then went into the steam room for a short while, my Mom's choice was not to stay long and she showered , whilst I chose to stay in the steam room a bit longer. Since there is no where to sit in the change area, nor would you really want to with the heat issue, I suggested to my Mom to wait in the lounge area. The chairs are comfortable and there are magazines. I wanted my Mom to wait for me in a familiar area, as she is elderly and has some dementia. I did not stay long and showered and went out to meet her. She was not in the lounge. I was alarmed and went to the front reception area, where I found her wandering there. She was upset that someone told her she could not sit in the lounge area , because she didn't have a robe on !
SHE WAS THE ONLY ONE IN THE LOUNGE at the time, she had her eyes closed and was relaxing, waiting for me. I would say 15-20 minutes tops. So much for the relaxing spa day. This completely ruined it. The receptionist (the same one who greeted us) asked about our day, and I explained what happened. She said, that you are not allowed in the lounge area if you have changed. I replied that she may have wanted to tell us that during the orientation.
I called the spa manager the next day to explain. She was the one who kicked my 77 year old mom out of the lounge for not wearing a robe, because it was policy ! Really, you must be kidding, she was the only one in the lounge and she may want to think outside the box in certain situations if she actually cares about the clients experiences. Not to mention the fact that this was not explained to us about the SPA RULES. The bad experience was completely caused by the staff .
For those visiting Winnipeg, Riverstone Spa setting at the Forks is a nice area, but has nothing to do with the spa itself. I strongly recommend Ten Spa in the Hotel Fort Garry, within walking distance of the Forks. Prices are in the same range and the experience/atmosphere/professionalism far superior. I have visited Ten Spa several times , with my Mom, friends and solo and love it, most would agree it is still Number One in Winnipeg . Enjoy.

Visited March 2013
9 Thank wings
Dryden, Canada
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Wonderfully Relaxing”
Reviewed 16 March 2013

This was probably one of the best experiences I have ever had. I got a mani/pedi as well as a head to toe massage with my husband. Even he enjoyed the hand and foot treatment and left feeling better than ever. I preferred the mani/pedi more than the massage but that was because I had so many knots in my back that I was sore afterwards. I was so relaxed during the mani/pedi that I fell asleep. The staff really knows how to pamper you at this spa, they provide a snack buffet as well as infused water. I recommend the cucumber water. The locker room facilitates are top notch as well, they have a dry steam room, sauna, rainwater showers, and more. It really was bliss. I will return, hopefully soon.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Lady_Katka
Winnipeg
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“One Word...."Relaxing"”
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I recently experienced the Anti-gravity foot and hand treatment at this Spa. Wow, what a pleasant surprise. Upon entering the facility, I thought is seemed quite small but was definitly well run facility. I am quite picky when it comes to cleanliness and this one hits the mark. I felt extremely relaxed and comfortable from the moment I entered the doors. The staff are very professional and experienced. The treatment took me by surprise, as you enter the room and take your seat in the chair, you are asked to choose your colors and then the relaxation begins. You lay back, close your eyes as they place a cool eye mask over your eyes and the treatment begins. From that moment on your eyes are shut until the whole treatment is completed. You do not see any of the scrubbing,filing, and painting and the best part no unnecessary conversation. Just lay back and let them do their job in the peace and quiet of the facility. Soft music lulls you into a deep relaxation, what more could you want. I have visited some of the top hotel spa's for this treatment and I can say I have found my new favorite.

Visited February 2013