“nice hotel, but pool and waterslide chlorine levels hurt my kids”

Canad Inns Garden City
Ranked #41 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Landmark
“nice hotel, but pool and waterslide chlorine levels hurt my kids”
Reviewed 30 November 2009

We took our children on an overnighter at the Canad Inn, because they have the Splashers Park and my kids love to waterslide. The room exceeded our expectation, and the service was good. My kids spent several hours at the waterslide on Saturday, I went into the pool as well. The facility is very nice, with beautiful killer whale murals painted on the walls.

We noticed that the chlorine levels seemed very high. I have a pool at home, so I understand what it takes to maintain correct water chemistry, and if my pool smelled like that I would have added fresh water to dilute the chemicals. In a facility like this one, that sees the kind of traffic they get the water needs to be tested 5 times per day.. we didn't see a single test done in the five hours we were there.

The harsh chemicals in the pool were taking a toll on us even my wife and I who were sitting in deck chairs supervising our kids on the side lines. That night my young son's eyes were so red and swollen he couldn't sleep, we had to put ice on them, he was in much pain. The next day, my kids begged to go on the slide again that morning.. we finally relented. The kids played for about 1 hour, they were in the hot tub, suddenly they both started caughing, choking and crying.. the chlorine was so harsh it hurt their lungs. We were the only ones using the facility at the time, we left an informed the front desk. That was the end of our watersliding, the kids were disappointed.. after we left my wife and I compared notes and agreed that in all of the hours that we spend in the pool area.. we didn't observe a maintenance person checking the water chemistry at all, and despite the harsh chlorine smell the water was cloudy. We could only conclude that they don't put much emphasis on keeping the water levels at safe levels for choliforms or chemicals. As a result we won't be visiting the Splashers park again. The Best Western on Pembina has a salt water pool and slide..

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank DDuell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
fort frances
Reviewed 30 March 2009

We took our Kids for a overnight trip to canad Inn in garden city so they could play at Spashers the pool/waterslide the pool was great the other guests were great the hotel staff were terrible they have a mission statement on the wall that says our family serving your family what a crock it was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at they stuck us in a room right beside the water pump system for the pool it sounded like a giant vaccuum in our room all night long we got no sleep and all they could say is sorry. then when we went for the complimentary breakfast the waiter told us that there was no tables left to fit our family so we had to go out to eat. So we checked out and went to perkins for breakfast so not only did we not get sleep at the hotel they wouldnt feed us either so my warning to anyone that wants to stay there go to the next hotel because you will regret stopping at this one

7 Thank sandiharp
Travellers also viewed these Winnipeg hotels
Downtown Winnipeg
Downtown Winnipeg
Canad Inns Polo Park
Canad Inns Polo Park
#49 of 63 in Winnipeg

Been to Canad Inns Garden City? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Canad Inns Garden City

Property: Canad Inns Garden City
Address: 2100 McPhillips St, Winnipeg, Manitoba R2V 3T9, Canada
Region: Canada > Manitoba > Winnipeg
Bar / Lounge Business Centre with Internet Access Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Restaurant Room Service Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#14 Family Hotel in Winnipeg
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): £
Hotel Class:3 star — Canad Inns Garden City 3*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Canad Inns Garden City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Canad Inns Garden City Hotel Winnipeg