“Great Remodel!”

Comfort Inn Winnipeg South
Ranked #27 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
“Great Remodel!”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Wow what a nice room! They recently completed a major remodel and the place looks great! The room was very clean and spacious with a microwave, fridge, coffee, plus a small table with only one chair. The beds are very a very comfortable pillow-top. The bedding is a really nice with a down comforter (probably artificial down) and nice clean bedspread and "runner". There is new carpeting everywhere and the place looks really nice. The bathroom had a large bathtub and a nice new modern vanity sink. The breakfast is very extensive with hot eggs, meat, waffles, cereals, breads, etc. Very nice hotel! Wish the price was a bit lower though.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Charlene K, General Manager at Comfort Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
We appreciate that you took the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we value all feedback from our guests. We look forward to hosting you again during your next visit to Winnipeg.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 2 August 2013

This was a great little place to stay when on our way out to Kenora. It was nice that it is on the perimeter. We had trouble finding it at first because of the shrubbery, but we eventually found it. It was clean and updated. I would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed a comfortable stay with us. We appreciate that you took the time to write a review and look forward to seeing you again should you return to our hotel.
Millbrook, Canada
Reviewed 25 July 2013

After a long day's motorcycle ride it was nice to be given quick, efficient service. We asked for and got a ground level room so we could park our bikes right outside. The room was what we expected - clean, good size with sufficient supplies. (Some motels skimp on soap,etc.)
Renovations provided a large pleasant eating area for breakfast which was better than many places. Fruit was not available (that day only?).
Their suggestion for a restaurant just up the road was excellent
Suggestion for all motels - offer old towels to wipe off dew / rain from the bikes in the a.m.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Steve P
We appreciate that you took the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor so that others can be assured of the level of service they will receive when they visit our hotel. We are all very excited about the new renovations and that everyone is enjoying the new hot breakfast.
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I had an extended stay at the Comfort Inn South in Winnipeg for over two months this year; the place was under construction when I moved in, but I lived through it and was pleased I did as the outcome was awesome. The renovations look great and the rooms are very nice now (all new bedding, new pictures, new wallpaper and paint, new carpets, new ceramic tiles, etc.). I did not use the free breakfast service as I had to leave the room very early for work, but I did manage to look at the breakfast and it did look great. The best part of staying here is the staff; they sure make you feel like family. The most helpful staff member was Gerald; always willing to help you out in any way and always a big smile - this hotel would be lost without his professionalism (he should be commended by the hotel manager). I was supposed to stay in the annex (separate building on the property with suites), but they were still waiting on the new king sized beds when I left; it's too bad though because I spent extended stays in these rooms in the past and they were great - very quiet and roomy. Would I recommend this hotel.....YOU BETCHA!! I will stay here any day. Thanks for a great stay Charlene and staff! PS; the rooms are CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN!!

Room Tip: Stay in the annex if you are staying for an extended period; very large and sooooo comfortable!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank lemieuxg
We appreciate that you took the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor so that others can be assured of the level of service they will receive when they visit our hotel. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we value all feedback from our guests. We look forward to hosting you again during your next visit to Winnipeg. Ps The annex is now up and running waiting for your next visit.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 6 July 2013

This hotel went non-smoking in May, which is great, except the previously smoking rooms still smell like smoke. Overwhelming so. I complained and was eventually moved to another room that smelled slightly less like smoke, but still gross. They may have done a reno on this place, but they need to change everything in the smoking rooms.

Furthermore, if you travel with a pet, guess which rooms your are going to get? That's right. The ones that smell like smoke. This was confirmed by the guy at the front desk - pet people in smoking rooms.

They will also do everything in their power to make you feel like you are imposing on them by bringing a pet. I have been traveling across the country for years with my dog. The hotels that are pet friendly are pet friendly, period. They don't make a big deal about you having a dog. At this hotel, you are signing waivers of all kinds ... My dog will only pee on a particular patch of grass ... that sort of thing. It's B.S. If you are going to be a pet friendly hotel, be a pet friendly hotel. I don't need you to give my dog a pat on the head, but I do expect to be treated like any other guest, not made to feel like I am an annoyance because of my dog and to put in a room that doesn't smell like an ashtray.

Will I stay here on my way back home at the end of July? Not likely.

Room Tip: Avoid the previously smoking rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SherryMontreal
Charlene K, General Manager at Comfort Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. Feedback from our guests is very important to us and your input helps with our continuing efforts to provide excellent service and a great stay.
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We stay at this hotel about 4 times a year. Convenient when we travel west as it is right off the main highway. Love that fact. This spring when we arrived the renovations had been completed. However, the owners skimped. Same old tired furniture (excepting the bed). New vanity in the bathroom that makes no sense. Open bottom with one shelf where you'll find the kleenex box, and the hair dryer in a bag? Whats wrong with the hair dryer installation on the wall where it is convenient. I'll bet the cleaning staff hate the vanity as they have to get on their hands and knees to clean the lower shelf each day.

Same very tired air system. Can't read the dials anymore so you have to guess how it works. new paint and wall paper, and new rugs (nice). But come on guys spend the $$ to update the furniture and the A/C air system. Same tired lamp shades too. Compare this hotel to the Sleep Inn in Sault Ste Marie (recently renovated) where they scrapped everything except the toilet and shower. Very nice. Stay there 4 times a year when we travel east.

So to the owners, step up and do the full job! A Sleep Inn (cheaper per nite) is showing you up big time!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Fred A
Charlene K, General Manager at Comfort Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. I will pass on your comments. I hope you had time to enjoy our new hot breakfast while you were staying with us.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I stayed two nights on business here. Check in was smooth and I found the room modest, but clean and had a coffee pot, fridge and microwave in the room. The queen sized bed was very hard, but on waking found that I was rested, so not bad at all! The small sofa had some stains on it that made me cringe a little, but I have seen worse, so no biggie. The room has been renovated with new carpet and a totally new bathroom.

The hotel has ongoing renovations, but it didn't affect my stay in the least. The continental breakfast was adequate, with coffee, juice, cereals, muffins, bagels, toast, etc. No hot food, but was told that was coming soon. They are still renovating the breakfast area, and I believe it will be very cozy when completed.

There are a number of restaurants and fast food outlets close by, with shopping very close too.

I would stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. Our Hot Breakfast is now available. It is a great hit with the guests. We look forward to seeing you next time you are in Winnipeg.