“Run down relic..”

Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Maubec, France
“Run down relic..”
Reviewed 25 February 2013 via mobile

Thanks to a trip to the arctic cold I had to stay two times two nights in Winnipeg. Looking at available options I choose the 5 start Fort Garry hotel. Good location, close to the town center and the railway station and the website did not look too bad. I learned the hotel had been build by the same company (and probably the seem people) that had build the railway in order to give their passengers a decent stay at the beginning or end of their journey. So I had imagined an old style, wood all over and traveller friendly hotel. Unfortunately that's not the case. When the taxi driver dropped me and my luggage off at the steps to the hotel entrance in the freezing cold I waited in vain for somebody who would step in and give me a hand with the luggage. I could have frozen to death but no one came out. When I had hauled up my luggage and went through the revolving door the doorman welcomed me with a ".. freezing cold out there, no?" When I suggested he could have gone outside and give me a hand he just looked like that was not part of his job description. Well, the hotel was a big disappointment with electric heaters that make the room too hot, too dry and too noisy, with my room at the ninth floor it took a measured 4 minutes before there was warm water and a breakfast without bread, a slice of cheese or ham. Yes - it is an old style hotel with high ceilings and broad stair cases but service wise I would not rate it higher than a youth hostel. It needs a revamping, starting with the personnel who have no interest and the rooms. Now it is no more than a run down relic of recent history.

Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank PaulMontjustin
Laura W, Director of Marketing at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us, and thank you for taking the time to write a review. Feedback from our guests gives us necessary insight to maintain our standard of service and to make improvements. Please accept our apologies for the service you received in regard to your luggage, this concern has been addressed appropriately. I do hope that you contacted our Front Desk while you were here to advise them of the concerns you had for the heating in your guest room so that we could have had the opportunity to correct this.

The hotel does offer a full hot buffet breakfast, with made to order chef-to-guest meals. Our serving staff is always happy to bring you bread or toast, cheese is available daily on our buffet, and house-made peameal ham is always available.

Again, thank you for your comments.

Kind regards,

Laura Wiebe
Marketing Director
(204)946-6523
lwiebe@fortgarryhotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 February 2013

If you like the feeling of staying at a grand old hotel, this is the place in the heart of Winnipeg. Loved the complimentary coffee and tea at your door whenever you asked for it. I'm an afternoon tea lover so having a real pot of tea , not the make-do with the in-room coffee machine, is perfect.
And opening the door at 7 am to a pot of coffee and the paper, great way to start the day. The hot soup and snacks in the gift shop/snack bar are very reasonably priced and tasted good. Easy walk to The Forks and anything in downtown Winnipeg. My bed was comfy, had a good tv and lots of desk space to work. Excellent staff. And if you are there on a Sunday, the brunch is a must!

Room Tip: Ask for one at the end of the hall.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kateandhertravels
las vegas
Reviewed 23 February 2013

great place - will go back
good food - clean room(quiet) - Bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was very good
I loved this hotel!! The hotel is in the perfect location within walking distance close to stores and the forks
security was doing their jobs felt safe.
parking was good - internet was fast-tv was nice
good price and good service

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank erin b
winnipeg
Reviewed 22 February 2013

first of all, I love the old charm of this hotel, get into the rooms and they have old tv"s the ones with the big back ends! lol, then let us talk about our window! as you glance out side you can see a brick wall! nice! the carpets were coming up in places,the beds were not comfortable, I will say that the star attraction at this hotel is the ten spa! and you will need it after a night, the staff was nice and the maid did not bang or yell down the hall at co-workers, thanks.

Room Tip: make sure you do not get a room that faces a brick wall!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank al f
Minnesota, Usa
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We went to the Festival du Voyageur and stayed at this hotel. The room we had was small but sufficient. Bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was very good. After checking out with our group we ended up turning back due to blizzard conditions and roads closed. The hotel staff were absolutely wonderful to us. They gave us rooms and breakfast at the same group rate we had. Made sure we had everything we needed. It made a bad situation better.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Brandon, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2013

I was traveling and stayed at the Fort Garry Hotel because of the good reputation BUT the service was absolutely awful. The gates for the parkade didn't work and i had to get the front reception person to help me which he didnt. After about half an hour waitingI went to the front desk and the clerk was berating somebody else telling this poor soul that he had been at the desk for the last hour, which was nonsense because I had waited for 1/2 hour and there had been nobody there. At the end of my stay they even tried to charge me for parking when all the parking did was waste my time. Never again, I have gotten stuck in Winnipeg since and have slept in my car because I will not give them my patronage again. Rooms were nostalgic but needed more maintenance. WiFi cost $10 per hookup (absolutely ridiculous) and thermostat did not work.

Room Tip: If you want a good room choose another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank Pete K
Eagan, Minnesota
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We were drawn to Winnipeg to experience the Festival du Voyageur opening weekend activities and accommodations were arranged for us at the Fort Garry Hotel. First the hotel.
This is one of the many railroad hotels build in 1913 with grand spaces and charm. Check in was smooth and we were quickly in our room on the 6th floor. Our room was small with comfortable beds and traditional furniture that fits with the hotel’s history. As others have said, some areas in the room and hotel need updating but I can easily overlook these minor concerns to stay in a grand building like the Fort Garry. We enjoyed having coffee delivered to the room at anytime for no charge. Bathroom was small with nice towels and toiletries.
We ate breakfast both mornings and thoroughly enjoyed the endless hot items the two chefs could whip up in just minutes. Very bright room with fresh roses all around. We did not eat dinner at the hotel as we were included in many of the Festival events. We did walk across the street to The Keg restaurant for a hamburger one evening and enjoyed our meal.
Hotel offers a nice spa, with pool and hot tub located via a skyway to the other building. Two laptop computers are available by the reception for hotel guests. All the staff were welcoming and very helpful during our stay.
The Festival du Voyageur offers visitors many activities, most centering around the Fort but other located throughout Winnipeg. If you are not afraid of some cold weather, the opening weekend provides a great weekend of fun.
I would definitely return to the Festival and would look forward to staying at the Fort Garry again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family