“Should have stayed elsewhere”
Review of Fort Garry Hotel

Fort Garry Hotel
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Lloydminster, Canada
“Should have stayed elsewhere”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I unfortunately booked this hotel for my wedding night. We arrived at the front desk in our wedding attire to a lone young man trying to answer all of the incoming phone calls for guest services. While waiting we watched the numerous drunk people get off of the elevators from functions in the upstairs ballrooms. After about the fifth phone call, the young man apologized and checked us in without so much as congratulations. We headed off to our room, only to let down by seeing how dated the whole place looked. The wall paper and carpet looked in need of replacement and the television looks like one I'd given away over a decade ago. The remote either needed new batteries or just didn't work properly. The only saving grace was that the bed was extremely comfortable. The next morning I grabbed breakfast in the broadway room. When I went to pay, I was told I was actually entitled to a complementary Sunday brunch. This would have been nice to know upon check in as at this point I just ate and my husband wasn't going to have brunch alone. He ended up eating elsewhere. The experience was a total let down.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Salsailsa
Laura W, Marketing Director at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Dear Guest,

Congratulations on your wedding and thank you for choosing to stay at the Fort Garry on this very special night. We appreciate taking the time to post your comments. Please accept our most sincere apologies that on this occasion our service did not meet your expectations. If you would like to discuss your stay in more detail please don't hesitate to contact me, as I would be pleased to follow up.

Kind regards,

Laura Wiebe
Marketing Director
(204)946-6523
lwiebe@fortgarryhotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 30 April 2013

I stayed here for one night as part of a stagette. The rooms was very large (we had a suite). The rooms are still very traditional (somewhat dated). The Sunday brunch was amazing. So yummy.
It's located right downtown. We walked to the keg which is located across the street

• Stayed May 2012
Reviewed 29 April 2013

While The Fort Garry is beautiful from the outside, there is a lot of work to be done. The rooms have ancient television sets, paid wireless, peeling paint and wallpaper.
I expect charm with some updated amenities for business travelers.
The memory foam bed I slept I was so terrible that I am checking out early to go to a new hotel!

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank TravelerHR
Winnipeg
Reviewed 19 April 2013

This beautifully restored railroad hotel offers a special .....a sleepover with dinner, breakfast and valet service included, which my husband reserved to celebrate our wedding anniversary.
When we arrived we were greeted like royalty, our car whisked away to a safe parking spot.
After a seamless check in, we retired to our room to find two lovely long stem roses, a complimentary fruit basket, cheese and crackers and a bottle of champagne on ice to enjoy before dinner.

Dinner was available in the Palm Room....a gorgeous setting for dining. The sevice was excellent, the menu, sadly, quite limited. I chose a chicken stir fry in which cauliflower was over represented, but the meal was ample, and quite tasty.
Breakfast proved much more satisfactory. The omelettes were nicely prepared, and there was
and excellent selection of fresh fruit, cereal, and pastries.

The room appeared to have been recently restored and decorated....everything spotlessly clean. Unfortunately no queen or king beds were available so had to settle for a double, which proved to be quite comfortable. No shortage of pillows, and linens were very fine.
Despite the fact that our room faced Broadway, which can be quite a busy street, we could hear no traffic noise.

There was only one sign of the wear and tear mentioned by other reviewers...a large worn spot in the carpet outside our door.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2013

According to the brochures within the room I stayed in at the Fort Garty Hotel in April, this hotel will celebrate its 100th birthday this year. I can only hope that the management will take this occassion to give the rooms a birthday gift with long overdue renovations and refurbishing. As stated in other reviews, this hotel's architecture and ambience is charming, and it is easy to appreciate the marble on some of the floors, the high ceilings and crown mouldings in the Palm room and the layout of a hotel that was thriving in its day. And then you step off the small elevator on your room floor and wonder what happened. The carpeting is faded and worn, the rooms are painted with old colors and have faded valances, peeling paint and the carpet in my room had a large stain. My husband and I brought with us a bottle of wine to enjoy in our room, and upon noiticing that there were o wine glasses, called the front desk to have some provided. We were told that our request could be accomodated, but that the charge of .50 per galss (plus tax of course) would be added to ur bill! Really?? I can get wine glasses at a considerably cheaper hotel for free--why not here? We joked with the room service fellow who brought us our glasses that his tip was more than the cost of the glasses, and I had to ask myself why a hotel would charge for wine glasses when it likely cost them more to send the staff to the room and print out the bill?
The bathroom is tiny, with old white tiling, a tub with shower and small sink. There is hardly any room to spread out your toiletry bag and forget about two people being in there at the same time. The room has an old TV, and furniture that is old, scratched and looking tired. The bed is good and the linens are nice...almost the only redeeming things about the room. Coffee and tea service are 24 hours and a nice touch. However, after placing our coffee order for the morning on the door the night before, I was disappointed when it arrived without cream...despite the fact that I had ordered it. The breakfast (which you can add to your stay for $10) is good and worth the money. The restaurant where they serve breakfast reminds you of the standards and quality that the entire hotel should have, with crisp linens, good food and service. Being a proud Manitoban, I want to support hotels within this province and am proud of the Fort Garry and its history. So I was extremely disappointed to see that its rooms are looking so neglected and sad---we can only hope that they will be renovated as a birthday present soon!

Room Tip: Do not choose a room on the first floor. This is actually about 3 floors up...but are in the light o...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Karen K
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The FGH is beautiful on the outside and in the grand front lobby, however the rooms and hallways are in desperate need of repair.

My mom and I stayed in the allegedly haunted room in January 2013. Considering this room is supposed to be a bit of a tourist attraction, we thought it would be in much better condition. The furniture was very old (not in a unique, antique way, but just in a grungy way), the carpets were worn and the wallpaper was peeling off very badly. It looks like it hadn't seen any repairs in many years. On top of it all, it had a CRT T.V. We're not princesses and don't need state-of-the-art stuff, but it did nothing to make the room look better.

The hallways & elevators are very dark and the carpeting in the hallways are torn and lifting in some places.

The room was clean, don't get me wrong, but considering the price of the room was far from cheap, I would have expected a lot better. I've had rooms in much better condition in Super 8s.

Room Tip: Whatever the most expensive room is, is probably your best bet.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Shannon31
Reviewed 3 April 2013

My husband and I have stayed at this charming historic hotel everytime we visit family for weddings,funerals or vacation. We've been coming for years,we love the beds, the toitetries,the tea/coffee service and the food is out of this world! However, we've been noticing the past few years more and more red flags. This stay, when we arrived it was cold and blizarding, no one was anywhere around to help us with our luggage. We did it ourselves, and it was like that the last time we visited. Our room smelled very humid&musky, there were black hairs in the tub,sink &bathroom floor...yuck! There was lots of black mold growing in the cocking of the window,as well as the bathtub grout. There were rips and lifting of the carpet in our room & the paint was all pealing in spots, especially the bathroom door. Our TV was all fuzzy& the color was off and on. I had to call to hav someone fix it, they couldn't really fix the prob. Nor did anything to compinsate.The back of the gym and change rooms were not well maintained at all, & extremely run down.
Even the main staircase had rips& was duck taped up. In the palm room there was paint pealing all in the beautiful handcrafted moldings. It's really a shame that this absolutely beautiful hotel full of character,is not maintained better. I feel that it has lost it's luster, and really not worth the expense. I feel I was overpriced for what we recived. Not a 5star hotel that they claim to be. Sadly, my husband and I will be choosing the Fairmont for our future Winnipeg visits.

• Stayed April 2013