“Celebration” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Winnipeg
“Celebration”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

I was one of those most fortunate of people who won a prize from the Fort Garry Hotel from entering their Trivia Prize contest.
My prize included a 4 course dinner for 8 and overnight stay for 2 in the same suite as the
dinner.
We were served appetizers and wine in the comfort of the living room, and then dinner in the dining room. The food was praised by all, it was delicious!! The server was very good, friendly and helpful. Everything was leisurely and enjoyable, in fact, it was difficult to finish the desert.
My daughter and I stayed the night, and slept in a very comfortable bed.
It was a pleasure.
In the past, I have also used the 10 Spa and enjoyed their services as well.
Tanis L. Moore

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Denver, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

We are staying at the Fort Garry Hotel as part of our adventure to Churchill to see the polar bears. The hotel is beautiful. I love the history, architecture and decor. Our room has old fashioned wallpaper and an antique dresser. The beds are very comfortable with fantastic sheets and pillows. I'm a pillow geek. There's nothing better than a great pillow to help me sleep in an unfamiliar place. As a matter of fact, each bed has four pillows, just in case one isn't enough. Coffee was left at the door at our request. It was a great way to wake up with coffee in bed. I love being pampered when I'm on vacation. The hotel is centrally located and we can walk to The Forks and other places in the area. Breakfast is included, I'm sure that's part of our travel package and may not be available to everyone. I highly recommend the hotel and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

I made a reservation asking to be seated in the ballroom. I also asked if there would be prime rib on the buffet. I called several times during the week and weekend......no one knows anything....same frickin answer(It`s up to the chef). When we arrived today for the celebration of my husband`s birthday no one greeted us. I approached an elderly miserable looking woman dressed in black who never smiled or said one word to us. She spoke to a hostess to take us to the palm room. I glanced in the ballroom and it had many empty tables. The chair I had sat on and no support and the chair next to it was dirty. The elderly server finally gave me a decent chair. He poured our water and orange juice and asked us if we wanted coffee and than walked off. We finally went to him and asked if we go ahead and get our food. Later we heard him say to another table ".....when your ready you may go ahead and get your food". We should have been explained what each area of tables consisted of. We initially had to ask for more water. Later dirty dishes remained on the table. Our server never asked us ....How was our food?. We waited 10 minutes for our bill even though he could see we were finished. I asked two cooks who said they had prime rib roast. I TOLD THE COOK SERVING THE ROAST THAT THIS WAS SIRLOIN AND NOT PRIME RIB. HE LOOKED AT THE front card which indicated sirloin.....he didn`t even know the difference. The meat was chewy and not delicious. The shrimp were flavourless. All the salmon I tasted was excellent. My husband liked the sausages but said his omelette was only average and that he certainly had better elsewhere. The deserts were average. Now I came to the rudest employee.....the young snarly man who never smiled and was just plain rude. I was the only person at his station. I asked for the chocolate as he never explained what each was. He curtly told me that is oreo not chocolate. I am a senior and dropped my spoon on the floor. He didn`t even come around to pick it up. A YOUND CUSTOMER THAN PICKED IT UP AND I ASKED this rude employee if he could take it and he very unhappily did. It is over priced for the quality of food. Some of the staff should look for jobs they would be better at!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BHAPPY03
Laura W, Marketing Director at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent visit with us and for taking the time to post your review. On behalf of the Fort Garry Hotel I would like to take the opportunity to offer the most sincere apologies that your visit did not meet your expectations. We take customer service very seriously, and we would like the opportunity to discuss your visit further. Please contact me at the below information, or contact our Food & Beverage Manager, Shawn Clements at sclements@fortgarryhotel.com

Kind regards,

Laura Wiebe
Marketing Director
The Fort Garry Hotel, Spa and Conference Centre
204.946.6523
lwiebe@fortgarryhotel.com
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

My husband and I stayed the weekend to celebrate our 21st anniversary. We upgraded to a king suite and it was beautiful! The room had a separate bedroom from the 'living' area and very well decorated. We had breakfast both Saturday and Sunday and I must say I enjoyed Saturday's personal service compared to the rushed crowded Sunday Brunch that the hotel offers. It has been years since I have been to the hotels Sunday Brunch and it is not how I remembered it. We spent Saturday at the Ten Spa, went up to the spa right from our room and back in our robes. The staff at this hotel are there to make you happy and they succeed. The free coffee service to the room 24 hours a day is such a sweet touch, great hot coffee at your door as soon as you call and it comes with biscotti or huge yummy cookies. Parking was free and right at the door behind the round room. I can't wait to go back for a weekend sometime in the future.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite, well worth the extra charge
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Winnipeg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

My husband and I spent our anniversary at the Hotel Fort Garry. I called to make reservations with a gift cert./package our family bought for us. The front desk were very helpful and encouraged us to book our spa appointment first, as they have limited availability for couples massage. Although we were too late to book that, other spa suggestions were made and my husband and I proceeded with our hotel booking. They treat you very well here; our valet parking and check-in was a snap. I initially paid for a small room upgrade to a King, they moved us up further, to a Suite. The suite was newly remodeled, very clean and quiet. Our bathroom was gleaming white. We loved the convenience of the tens spa in the hotel, really added to the relaxed feeling, rather than getting our coats on and driving somewhere. I took advantage of the free coffee to your room that evening, it came with biscotti, and in the morning with a breakfast cookie. Stay Saturday, as we did, and enjoy the HUGE brunch- there is no better in Winnipeg. We stayed at the Fort Garry for our 1st wedding anniversary and really remembered how amazing Sunday brunch was. 16 years later, the brunch is MORE incredible now- ridiculous in the copious amounts of food and the variety of buffet tables constantly being refilled and staffed with friendly chefs, just waiting to serve you. From beginning to end, we were pampered with the best Winnipeg can offer.

Room Tip: Our suite was a corner one. It was huge and newly remodeled. Bright during the day, quiet in the eve...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Congratulations on your anniversary! Thank you for choosing to celebrate this occasion with us and for taking the time to post your review. We are pleased that every moment of your stay was relaxing and well worth the time spent. The Fort Garry Hotel takes pride in our customer service and the special amenities we have to offer our guests, such as the Ten Spa. We look forward to the opportunity to see you again soon.

Kind regards,

Laura Wiebe
Marketing Director
The Fort Garry Hotel, Spa and Conference Centre
204.946.6523
lwiebe@fortgarryhotel.com
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Hotel Fort Garry . Upon arrival to the hotel you are greeted by a doorman. Inside the hotel is absolutely beautiful! We felt like royalty. Original furniture,light fixtures are still there and really nice to see. Staff was fabulous and friendly. We had booked Room 202 as it always has been my wish to stay in this (haunted room). We arrived to the room and found it very clean and like I mentioned a step back in time. Very comfortable surroundings. We visited the lounge where they had a piano player and singer. The brunch the next am was out of this world...you name it..it was there and very tasty!What a grand place to stay and visit. You will feel very welcome here and I guarantee you will enjoy your stay. Just browse around the hotel and see all the beauty it has to offer you!. As for room 202 we did not experience any unusual visitors but I did feel chills quite a few time. around 330am I was awoken to sounds but that could have been just the building itself! Curious? Go check it out.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

It was my pleasure to spend a night at the Fort Garry Hotel, combined with a yoga and spa package. What a treat - it was a great experience for an unbeatable price. Worth every penny. The quality of the room was high, service in both the hotel and restaurant equally good.

• Stayed October 2013