“Great stay”

Fort Garry Hotel
Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
“Great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

I travel for work all the time and this hotel is definitely worth staying at. I arrived with no expectations and was extremely pleased with the service and the hotel grounds. The gym needs a little TLC but it will do.

• Stayed December 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

This was our stop prior to the Polar Bear Trip in Churchill with Nathab and The Great White Bear Tours. An historic hotel with character. The breakfast buffet with on order omelet and eggs was amazing. Great choices and varieties of breads, pastries, fruits...and more. Rooms are cleaned and have historic decor. Great location close to downtown and to an historic walking path.

Nice bar/restaurant area. Can be busy and loud if there is a band playing. You need to go to the gym? Just ask for a pass to go next door (though an indoor walkway) and you'll have free access to the gym and the pool area.

Great service from the people at the front desk, to the buffet and bar area. The door men and shuttle drivers were welcoming too.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Lafayette, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Stayed at the Fort Garry on our way to and from Churchill to meet polar bears. Hotel is undergoing a face lift, which it needs. Rooms are comfortable and large. The heat works and is adjustable, so it does not get too hot! Lighting in room ok, could read without difficulty. Bathroom very comfortable.
Room included breakfast, a buffet and eggs cooked to order. Very nice, with good service.
There is a gym in the building, which requires a pass from the front desk. A good number of working machines, but several were old and rusty (perhaps due to the climate?). Gym had a pool, but no lockers.
Location is walking distance from the train station and The Forks area with lots of walking paths. Also can walk to several museums.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Winnipeg, Manitoba
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

I have been coming to the Fort Garry every year sometimes multiple times a year just to get away and have a spa day with a friend or relative and frankly if it wasn't for the spa I would seek elsewhere for a hotel room. Upon arriving there was a line up (no big deal) The man who checked us in was pleasant and friendly. The first sign my day was going to go awry was that the Pool and fitness facilities were being closed down at 5PM (We arrived at 4PM so no time to take advantage of a work out or quick swim) On a positive note WIFI is now FREE AND is incredibly fast and efficient. Because it is the weekend I paid $206 for a room I normally pay $140 sometimes even cheaper. When I get to my room room 431 It was average looked clean everything looked to be fine until I sat on the bed. The bed was horribly uncomfortable. It was a temperpedic bed so when you lay down you sink in. If you try to switch positions you are sunken in so you have this huge bump you have to roll over HOW UNCOMFORTABLE. Then I tried to plug my blackberry into the outlet that was half hanging off the wall. I heard some sort of sizzle so I quickly unplugged my phone and switched outlets which also was coming off the wall (big safety concern especially people with kids) The TV is also a main concern. I am paying over $200 to stay in a room where the TV has bad reception and lines going through it I couldn't even order a movie. Between 6PM and 1AM the lobby was full of people, there were apparently 3 or more Christmas parties going on that night (my friend is a smoker) so when I accompanied her outside to smoke we would just get random drunk people from their party talking to us and rambling incoherently. The hallways were noisy and full of people til at least 130AM (Don't they have security to walk around or staff people are trying to sleep at this time)

The kicker was Breakfast (which is no longer included int he room rate and costs $10 a person) Breakfast was to end at 11AM we arrived at 950AM more than an hour left and plenty of time to enjoy our breakfast.. but boy did we not. The selection looked picked over. There were no croissants left, The bagels were hard and stiff. Asked for rye toast and it took over 10 minutes to arrive and she brought BROWN toast. When I said I asked for rye she said "well it will take a long time to get it this is good too) are you kidding me? Selection was at a bare minimum. Ordered Eggs Benedict which was the only EDIBLE thing left... Ham had run out and the hash browns looked like they were sitting there all morning (they were black and burnt) and we weren't even half way done our breakfast the bill comes and the servers start clearing the rest of the food that was there (fruit bagels, cheeses) We were not even done yet and they were taking the food away? really? I have always prided this hotel at excellent service but as the years go on it just seems less and less enjoyable to go here.

The spa on the other hand was amazing the only amazing thing I experienced at my stay here.
I don't know if I even want to go back after this experience. In the past I felt special, important and it felt luxurious to stay here. I can't say the same now.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 204pecitygal
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

I had to do a quick trip to Winnipeg after several years and the first hotel that came in my mind was Fort Garry hotel. I was curious to see if it was as good as my last stay. And incredible it was. First of all, the staff at the front desk were very nice and polite and offering you a choice of preferred view and type of matress etc...I booked the room through Hotwire and usually it means the last room not sold or the tiniest room of the hotel etc...if it was the case, I did not notice because the young lady at the front desk was extremely professionnal making sure I will be happy with my room. And this was the beginning of a fabulous stay. My room was nice and the bed ultra comfortable with a nice little view on The Forks. Never heard one noise and slept like a baby. The breakfast buffet blew my mind because it was only $10 with an amazing choice. The omelette bar was great. They also offer a 24 hours coffee or tea service all day. It came with a nice chocolate cookie on the side. All I can say is that I had a smile from the beginning of my stay until I left. Walking distance from a few restaurants, The Forks market, City Center, Starbucks and probably more other things as I am not too familiar with area but one thing is for sure, Fort Garry is well located. This is by far one of the best hotel in Winnipeg and I would go as far to say that it is the best. The only negative aspect is that the hotel could use some renovations ( paint almost removed in some areas. The television was from the 1980s, tired looking carpet) and food at lounge area is alright. Nothing fancy and memorable. Gorgeous lounge though. But the staff is so polite and helpful that I did not care that the food could be better. Overall, Fort Garry deserve 5 stars.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

I have to say that it was a nice change to stay in this hotel. That hotel is almost a 100 years old and has a lot of history! Google it! Very interesting!

I was there on a business trip and thought that it was gonna be noisier then other hotels. I just don't like to hear the room attendants early in the morning. I never heard a thing outside my room. The hotel rooms are painted with "tacky colours" A co worker of mine had some kind of pinky room and mine was like on my pictures. My bed was hard when you first sit on it. But after a while you get in use to it. Not a pillow top bed kind. I still slept very well and it was still comfortable. Hotel staff were on a higher level of service and I liked it (more polite, very respectful, quick service, etc.).

I think that many rooms are connecting into that hotel. If you don't like that, make sure you mentioning it when you book your room.

I wish I could have stayed longer and I'm looking forward going back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from elevators. The elevators could be noisy when opening up or closing.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed here before and after our polar bear trip to Churchill. Both rooms were more than adequate. There was plenty of space. Second room we stayed only had one sitting chair. Bit of a problem.

The hotel is really well located to walk around and check out Winnipeg. A number of restaurants nearby.

Staff helpful. No in room tea and coffee facilities but the complimentary room service tea and coffee service made up for that.

All in all great stay

Room Tip: No need for a car. Wifi excellent
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family