“Know what your getting” 4 of 5 bubbles

Fort Garry Hotel
Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
“Know what your getting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Beautiful, and old (102 years) has classic touches . Staff are great, professional and prompt, service was great. Nice personal touches like complimentary coffee or tea service direct to your room ( in lieu of in room coffee maker), valet and room services made for an enjoyable stay. Beautiful lounge, with live evening entertainment, great food, very nice ballroom/meeting room. Bed was the best sleep in a hotel I've ever had, king-size, Feathertop with soft pillows, and room was adequately quiet.
Downsides were the lack of furniture in room, little storage for clothes (closet with 5 hangers, no dresser) confused room decor,amenities in another building across a walkway, the lack of ventilation and the lack of darkening curtains that made for early mornings.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Saskatchewan, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

I agree with many of the reviews that this hotel needs some updating and a bit of love. I really liked the historical look of the hotel. My room was clean and had everything I needed. The furnishings were old and looked tired but the bed and bedding were excellent. Little things like broken lamps detract from the overall appeal of the hotel. I was pleased to find that the hotel offered some rooms with accessibility. They upgraded me to a king room with handrails etc. to assist me during my stay. Check-in and check-out were both handled well.

There was more positive than negative with the food at the hotel. I was very impressed with the breakfast room. I had great service and a very pleasant meal. The price, $10 for guests, was great. My coworker was not made aware of the breakfast so they missed out. I had supper in the oval room. The food was a bit of a let down. The burger was bordering on burnt and not seasoned at all. Fries were good but can on the cool side. The dessert and coffee however were excellent. I enjoyed a leisurely coffee and dessert while listening to the piano player. Service was attentive without being annoying.

All in all, I would stay at this location again as it is an excellent option close to my office. There were far more positive impressions than negative.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Faith R
Laura W, Marketing Director at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Fort Garry Hotel. We appreciate your feedback, and that you chose to stay with us. While we're glad you enjoyed your stay overall, we were disappointed to read that you were not satisfied with the food in the Palm Lounge. If you would like to discuss your stay further so that next time we can wow you, please do not hesitate to contact me. We look forward to seeing you again.

Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

While I would agree this hotel can be a bit shabby in places (mostly in the bedrooms) this is a grand old hotel. Helpful staff. No tea and coffee in rooms but you can order it free on room service and they deliver 24 hours a day so you can have fresh tea and coffee waiting outside your room in the morning. AND you get biscuits / cookies free as well. Nice touch. Highly recommended. Also very handy for train station (100m away) and perfect for exploring Winnipeg.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dcgb
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed here for a total of three nights in February. The hotel is old and has been partially renovated.

The good: The rooms are comfortable. Most of the staff is helpful, but some of the front desk clerks are more helpful than others. We were able to exchange money at the front desk without difficulty. The dining room and breakfast is quite good with pastries, fruit, and cooked to order eggs. The spa includes a well equipped exercise room, an indoor pool with jacuzzi, a steam room, and locker rooms. Bring a pair of non street shoes for this.

The outstanding: A couple of weeks we received a phone call and a package of shoes and clothes we did not know we had left in the room. Kudos to housekeeping.

the not so good; as some other reviewers have mentioned the soundproofing is less than most hotels. We could hear the next room TV and conversation, but fortunately did not affect our sleep.

If we return to Winnipeg we would be comfortable staying here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rdmjr
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

Leaning more towards "old" than "grand".

Beautiful lobby and public spaces. The guest rooms have been updated with fresh carpets, and bathroom fixtures, but still have some limitations. The windows are not large so the room never felt bright. The biggest drawback was the lack of soundproofing. I could hear my neighbours and everything going on in the hallway. Also, even though I was on the 4th floor, I could hear noise from below. There was no chair to sit at the desk and work, only a stool or a plush sitting chair. I ended up working with my laptop truly on my lap as I laid on the bed. Another annoyance was the lack of an in-room safe. The bed was "super-single" sized.

The breakfast buffet is exceptionally good. In addition to the usual selections, they have an omelet station that will prepare a variety of omelettes, your choice of eggs, sausage, bacon, waffles and eggs benedict. The usual price is $20. When you're booking, see if there are any special rates. Mine included 1/2 price breakfast, a steal considering most hotels charge $10 just for orange juice and coffee.

Choices for dinner are more limited. The lobby lounge has a dinner menu with some good selections, but it is not set up for dining as much as drinking. The Prairie 360 revolving restaurant is attached to the hotel, but they make you walk outside to get there.

A nice touch is complimentary coffee or tea delivered to your room in the morning. I guess it is to compensate for lack of a coffee maker in the room. Anyway, it is a nice luxury to have a fresh pot of coffee waiting outside your door when you wake up.

Use of the full service gym in the adjacent building is free. It is well-equipped including a decent-sized pool.

Wifi is free.

Ask for an outer facing room. I had one facing into a courtyard. I was looking across to the other wing of the hotel, close enough to easily see into the rooms. There was no direct sun.

I'll certainly return but a proper desk and chair to work at and better sound-proofing would make a big difference.

Room Tip: Ask for an outer facing room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Laura W, Marketing Director at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Guest,

We appreciate that you chose to stay with us on your recent visit to Winnipeg. Thank you for taking the time to write about it. We value all guest opinions, and use reviews to assist in evaluations. It was very nice to read that you found exceptional value in our breakfast, appreciated the free wifi, and enjoyed our complimentary coffee/tea delivery service. Your other comments including sound, view, workspace and meal choices are appreciated. On your next visit to Winnipeg, please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that I may assist in finding a guest room that may be more suitable to your preferences. We look forward to seeing you again.

Ear Falls, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

The history of the hotel is cool and you are defiantly stepping back in time in some aspects of staying at the fort Garry. The decor is kind of confusing. They need to either choose to go with the old school antique look or modernize the place with a touch of its history. There was an antique desk with mirror in our room probably from the 30s or older but then it seemed like the chair was from the 70s. There was a modern tub and toilet but then the lights in the bathroom are really old. The lamps in the rooms seems like they are also from the 70's. TV was old. The remote was a N64 remote attached with a cord. The food was over priced and sub par.

Now as for our sleep or should I say lack of sleep. We had our 7 month old son with us and he usually sleeps 10 hours a night with out interruption. For what ever reason this night he would not relax and would not stop looking around and crying. This never really came across as something strange as some times baby's are fussy. We had finally got our son asleep by walking the halls with him for about 1 1/2 hours. Soon my wife and I had crawled into bed and fell asleep. As we slept my wife was awoken by the sensation of a person sitting down on the foot of our bed. At first she thought it was me and when she realized I was still sleeping beside her she froze. Too scared to look at what was pulling the blankets tight and compressing the foot of the bed she turned over kicking the blankets and cuddling up to me. She said she was terrified to look because whether there was something there or there wasn't it would have been scary. Moments after she kicked the blankets off. Our baby started to fuss and was in a full scream in minutes. This woke me as my wife took him out in the hallway to comfort him again. Me not knowing about the incident that had just occurred went back to sleep. About a half hour later something woke me up and I could fall back asleep so I started looking at face book on my phone. After a few mins I shut my phone off to go back to sleep. That is when I noticed the sound of breathing beside me. I hadn't noticed it while on my phone so i held my breath for a moment to see if i was hearing breathing. I confirmed it was breathing. Thinking that my wife had come back while I was sleeping I leaned over to put my arm around her. The moment I did the emptiness if the bed sent a paralyzing shiver through out my body. Knowing that I heard breathing inches from my ear I ran with numb legs to my clothes on the chair and out the door. I dressed in the hallway. I then texted my wife who was down on the lobby. When she seen the look on my face she asked me what happened and I told her. She then told me what had happened before she left the room. We jumped in our vehicle and drove around the city for a few hours before we went back in that room. When we returned the rest of the night was quiet. I will never stay there again. We stayed in room 519

• Stayed March 2014
5 Thank Bukmaster
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

The Fort Garry is a nice, historic hotel in the downtown area of Winnipeg near The Forks, which you'd likely want to visit. The reason I say "nice" and not "beautiful" or "fantastic" is that the common areas are well-maintained but the rooms are pretty tired. Our room had a tv in it that I haven't seen since I got rid of mine in the year 2000. We had brought our Apple TV and realized quickly that there was no way we could plug an HDMI cable into the old tv. There were quite a few chips in the baseboard and walls. I will say the bathroom and room were very clean and the bed was comfy. We asked for a renovated room when we checked in and were told that none were renovated; however, we later saw from a door being left open that some were clearly renovated. I'm sure the renovated rooms are nice because the common areas in the hotel were beautiful. The Crystal Ballroom needs no decoration because it's so nice, and the hotel lounge is a great place to sit and have a drink. The service in the lounge is great and the front desk service is also really friendly and helpful. I can see how, with some updates, the Fort Garry will be above average on the next visit. Til then, it's worth a stay for the Sunday brunch. I lived in Winnipeg for eight years and never went for brunch because I was a student and it was $50, but it's worth it for special occasions! I can also say from past experience that the spa is one of the nicest I've been to in the world - Ten Spa is completely renovated and is worth a half-day if you have time.

Room Tip: I'd ask for a renovated room on a higher floor, maybe even facing the Forks (Main Street)
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank l0ves2travl
Laura W, Marketing Director at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Winnipeg. Your comments are important to us, and I would like to let you know that we are currently in the process of updating our entire television system. Samsung Smart TVs are currently being installed in all rooms. Within 60 days, we will also be able to offer streaming your own personal Netflix onto the TV, meaning no fees for movies. We look forward to the opportunity to wow you on your next visit.